• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon with an odd color for their type

Andros 1337

Reaction score
I was wondering, which Pokémon do you think have an odd color for their type?

Here are my thoughts:
Ninetales - White fur doesn't scream Fire IMO.
Voltorb/Electrode - Red and white just seems strange for an Electric-type.
Flaafy - Pink seems strange for an Electric-type
Reshiram - Same reason as Ninetales.
Zekrom - Black seems to be more suitable for a Dark-type.

What do you think?

i think thatspinarak should be orange or something like that

Iv'e always thought that light green was suitable for a Bug-type. I wouldn't call Ariados' red color unsuitable either (there are plenty of red Bug-types; not all red Pokémon are Fire-types).

This isn't that odd, but I don't really think that Groudon should be given a red coloring (considering that it's a pure ground-type). Though its shiny color fits somewhat to a certain extent.

Rhyhorn and Rhydon, because their grey coloring makes them look completely Steel-type... yet they've remained Ground-type. Which is odd, because the grey Magnemite family DID get turned half-Steel.

Rhyhorn and Rhydon, because their grey coloring makes them look completely Steel-type... yet they've remained Ground-type. Which is odd, because the grey Magnemite family DID get turned half-Steel.

Gray doesn't seem that odd, considering they are part Rock-type. In PMD, gray is the color that actually represents the Rock-type (Steel-type is represented by silver).

If I didn't look it up I would have no idea that bibarel was part water. Still don't get why they gave him a secondary water type. Looks like a full normal type. Its brown, its a mammal. I don't think Keckleon looks like a normal type... considering most normal types are brown/white/black/pink.

Gray doesn't seem that odd, considering they are part Rock-type. In PMD, gray is the color that actually represents the Rock-type (Steel-type is represented by silver).

Hmm, I see what you mean, but I always think of rock as being brown. And it's the way the grey on Rhyhorn/Rhydon is so metallic-looking that gets me. But that might just be me.

Ninetales - White fur doesn't scream Fire IMO.

White indicates a more intense heat than the colour red - the closer to white a flame is, the hotter it will be. White also indicated the highest temperature on an infrared image/thermal imaging camera.

Voltorb/Electrode - Red and white just seems strange for an Electric-type.

Voltorb and Electrode weren't designed with the intention of them looking like Electric-types. Like pretty much every other Pokémon ever made, they were created around a theme - theirs being to look like Pokéballs.

Flaafy - Pink seems strange for an Electric-type

Again, the Pokémon's colour isn't supposed to relate to the type it is. Flaaffy is based on a sheared sheep, the pink parts of it most likely being its skin.

Reshiram - Same reason as Ninetales.

Same response as Ninetales, plus the fact that the colour signifies the opposite of Zekrom.

Zekrom - Black seems to be more suitable for a Dark-type.

See above.

Pokémon's designs and colours aren't made around what type they are. In most cases, their colours follow on from whatever animal/concept the Pokémon is designed after. If Pokémon were to be coloured based on their type, every Fire-type would be red, Electric-type yellow, Water-types blue, etc.

White indicates a more intense heat than the colour red - the closer to white a flame is, the hotter it will be. White also indicated the highest temperature on an infrared image/thermal imaging camera.

Same response as Ninetales, plus the fact that the colour signifies the opposite of Zekrom.

But white isn't the first color that comes to mind when visualizing fire; most people think of red or orange. That is why most Fire-types are red or orange.

But white isn't the first color that comes to mind when visualizing fire; most people think of red or orange. That is why most Fire-types are red or orange.

Your point being? Just because a Pokémon is a specific type, it doesn't mean that it would make more sense to be one specific colour - as I said, the colours that Pokémon are are, in most cases, due to the animal or concept that they are based on.

Um, okay. Ninetales is based off a kitsune which when it becomes a thousan-....

You know what no. I'm not going to justify this with an explanation. Why does every fire type have to be red? Why does every electric type have to be yellow? Can't they look a little more interesting then that. I mean...

COME ON!!! That's got to be the most uncreative thing to say like, ever. "Oh look, a fire type that's not red. I think it should be red because fire is red and I think all fire typ-....."

I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. I get kind of upset by these kind of questions heh heh haa....

When I found out Mawile was a steel type, I had to confirm it on every Pokemon website I knew, it just didn't seem right

Look at the Sun. With the naked eye.
If you think red, you've looked at it for far too long.

Get out, look at the world, and realize it is more colorful than cliched random color-associations. Electricity isn't yellow except in those old lightbulbs. A TOTALLY CRIMSON RED flame is a very rare sight.

Pokémon takes its inspiration from many, many things. Specially the real world. Thinking that a pokémon have a rare color for their type is like saying all fish should be blue.

Now, there are some that, due to their color, and ambiguous propertypes, may fool you. Mawile looks like a Dark type, specially with that description. Pachirisu probably'd throw someone off. And if Rhyhorn and Rhydon weren't from Gen. 1 one could think they might be steel types with their armored-like appearance. But these are just ambiguities that are perfectly natural-- I mean, Sudowoodo looks like a tree.

Ummmm, I thought we were just saying what colors looked strange on certain types, I don't think anyone insinuated that the colors needed to be changed, I thought we were just pointing out obscurities in color-type relationships. For instance, I wouldn't think that a fire type should be colored blue but, if it is that way, so be it! It's just fun to point out to other people who might not have noticed it before. But anyway, I for one don't think that Mawile looks ANY bit steel, but it did make her stick out to me and made me remember that she was in fact a steel type (and not something like a normal or something).

And if this truly is about color...POLITOED! *runs away real fast using ExtremeSpeed*

Ummmm, I thought we were just saying what colors looked strange on certain types, I don't think anyone insinuated that the colors needed to be changed, I thought we were just pointing out obscurities in color-type relationships. For instance, I wouldn't think that a fire type should be colored blue but, if it is that way, so be it! It's just fun to point out to other people who might not have noticed it before. But anyway, I for one don't think that Mawile looks ANY bit steel, but it did make her stick out to me and made me remember that she was in fact a steel type (and not something like a normal or something).

And if this truly is about color...POLITOED! *runs away real fast using ExtremeSpeed*

You are right on the money. I just made this thread simply about Pokémon with colors that don't suggest them being the types they are. I am not advocating for changing their colors. If anyone remembers, I once had an idea for a Fire/Water Flamingo Pokémon, which would be colored Pink.

You are right on the money. I just made this thread simply about Pokémon with colors that don't suggest them being the types they are. I am not advocating for changing their colors. If anyone remembers, I once had an idea for a Fire/Water Flamingo Pokémon, which would be colored Pink.

I had an idea for a Fire/Flying one that would become a Flamingix (Flamingo/Phoenix) and the other version would have a Grass/Flying Peacock. But anyway, another pokemon I think would be Jirachi. It loooks like either a Psychic, or by color, a Psychic/Electric. Instead, it's Steel/Psychic

ditto looks weird for a pink pokemon and i think that nintendo should go back to producing gameboys and destroy every system that has color so that this does not happen again

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom