• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Wiz: Kanto Edition

Two things I've been wondering about:
  1. If we guess right on the first clue, then submit a wrong guess on the second or third one, we get the 3 points for getting it right the first time, correct? Or if we guess right, guess wrong the second time and then guess correctly again the third time, it's still 3 points for the round, not 1?
  2. Are we allowed to know how many rounds there will be? Or when it will end?

P.S.: I'm having so much fun with this! Remembering things I didn't know I knew or thought I had forgotten!

Two things I've been wondering about:
  1. If we guess right on the first clue, then submit a wrong guess on the second or third one, we get the 3 points for getting it right the first time, correct? Or if we guess right, guess wrong the second time and then guess correctly again the third time, it's still 3 points for the round, not 1?
  2. Are we allowed to know how many rounds there will be? Or when it will end?

P.S.: I'm having so much fun with this! Remembering things I didn't know I knew or thought I had forgotten!
  1. If you guess correctly in the first round then yes, you get 3 points regardless of what you say in the following rounds.
  2. This is actually the last round of the game, so it will end in approximately 13 hours.

You, guys, are evil. After seeing the first clue, I actually got the link to the Time Capsule, but too many Pokémon can have, at 100%, a Berry when traded to Gen 2 games. How are we supposed to guess? And a lot of this Pokémon come from Veridian Forest... "Unique item" explains better what is the right answer, but only if we see this clue and "100% Berry" together.
Anyway, I had a lot of fun. Thanks for your work!

After getting a few responses I realized Round 20 Clue 1 was a bit misleading, so I've replaced it with a new one. (also a bonus hint for reading: you might have to think just outside of Gen I for this one)

Can you explain the original clue for Round 20? I understood everything else, but that one made zero sense to me.

Can you explain the original clue for Round 20? I understood everything else, but that one made zero sense to me.

The way I finally figured it out was that if you transfer a Pokemon from RBY to GSC, it would have a held item. "100% Berry" would mean that 100% of the time, it would be holding a Berry.

With a few, this is only true with Red/Blue. With Yellow, some species will have a unique item. Pikachu is one of these. It has a Berry 100% of the time from Red/Blue but a Light Ball (the "unique item") from Yellow (if it's the partner Pikachu)

This is where I found the info:
List of Pokémon by wild held item (Generation II) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

In Red, Blue, Yellow games, there are no held items. They are introduced for the first time in Gen 2 games. Also, Gen 2 games and Gen 1 games can communicate with Time Capsule only. It allows the player to trade Pokémon between these games.
Trades with Time Capsule have some limitations, but also some interesting points: Pokémon, from Gen 1 where held items don't exist, are holding an item by default when traded to a Generation II game. These items are determined by certain factors and are fixed for some specific Pokémon species, like Pikachu (but only in Yellow).

More than 50 Pokémon have always (so the 100% in the clue), as held item, a Berry (this is a type of berry that exists only in Gen 2 games) when traded in Time Capsule.
One of those is Pikachu. But in Yellow, the starter Pikachu have a Light Ball instead. This is the only method to get a Light Ball in Gen 2 games and Pikachu is the only Pokémon that can have it as held item from Gen 1 games (so the clue "Unique item").

For reference:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_wild_held_item_(Generation_II)

I saw clue 1 before going to sleep and I was confused because Gen I has no Held Items. But yeah, you get that when you transfer some Pokémon to Gen II.

A bit of explanation from my side of things.

I wrote that clue with the intention of it being one of the more difficult ones, but I didn't take into account the fact that so many different Pokémon could all have a berry when traded over. Good job to those who figured that much out and I apologize for the confusion with it.

This was our first time running this event so thank you for sticking with us as we worked out the kinks. I'm very happy with how it all went and I hope you had fun. We're hoping to run another edition sometime in the future so if you have any suggestions on how to improve it feel free to let me know in this thread or by messaging me.

I'm going to be doing a final tally soon and then I will be announcing the winner here. Stay tuned for that!

The results are in! The winner of Pokémon Wiz: Kanto Edition is..... * cue drumroll*.... @PokePal15 with 47 points!!! A huge congratulations to them! PokePal15, if you would please send me your favorite Pokémon so we can put it on your special prize banner.

Congrats are also due to our runners up, @Patrick Haines with 44 points and @Acrobatic Crobat with 42 points! It was a super close game so well done all.

Thank you so much to all who participated, even if it was just for a single round. I hope you all enjoyed playing the game as much as I did making it. If you would like to know your individual score just shoot any of our judges a PM. If you would like us to host another edition in the future, your feedback would be much appreciated! It would be a big help if you could answer any of the following messages:
  1. Did you enjoy the game? Why or why not?
  2. Were any rounds or individual clues too difficult, too easy, or misleading?
  3. What else could we improve on for later editions?
  4. What themes would you like to see for future editions?
Please send responses in the same conversation that you used to send in your guesses for the game.

Thanks again!

Congrats, @PokePal15!

Here are my opinions:

1- I enjoyed it.
2- The clue for the last question was kind of confusing. I guess that's why it got changed.
3- None that I can think of.
4- Maybe the other regions?

Congratulations, PokePal and Patrick!
Also, woah, third place. I thought I'd end up much lower in ranking.
As for questions...

1. Yeah, it was a great fun!
2. Well, mostly the first clue in final round.
3. I... don't know, really. Maybe I'll come up with something later.
4. Different regions, anime/spin-off games/manga edition... maybe a version dedicated to specific group of characters, like gym leaders or legendaries?

That was a lot of fun, I am looking forward to next edition!

Welcome to the Bulbagarden guessing game, Pokémon Wiz! In this game, you will be presented with a series of clues and you will try to connect the dots to guess what they all have in common. Any and all are welcome to participate in any amount you wish!

How to play:
  1. Beginning Monday, November 19th at 12:00pm (EST), a clue will appear in an announcement banner at the top of the forums. Every 6 hours another clue will appear. Each subject will have 3 clues. You have 6 hours after the third clue has appeared before the round ends and the first clue of the next round begins. There will be 20 rounds total.
  2. When you see the clue, you can send a group Private Message containing your guess to the following judges: @Enzap, @SoaringDylan, @DarthWolf. Each user can send in one guess per clue, so you get three guesses per subject total. If you send in more than one per clue, then only the first you sent will count.
  3. Please use the same conversation thread for each guess. Your PM should contain the following so that we can keep track of your guesses and points easier:
    • The Round Number
    • The Clue Number
    • Your single guess for that round
  4. You will earn points each time you guess the subject correctly. Because guessing will become easier with each clue, each clue is worth a different amount of points. The number of points received for guessing correctly are as follows:
    • Clue #1: 3 points
    • Clue #2: 2 points
    • Clue #1: 1 point
  5. The user with the highest number of points at the end of the final round will be declared the winner and will receive a custom award banner made by @Rainbow Cloud.
In honor of Pokémon Let's GO Pikachu and Eevee, the theme for this game is: Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow. All subjects will be characters, items, locations, or other elements found in those three games.

Example round (what will appear in each banner):

If you have any questions, PM one of our hosts or ask directly in this thread!

Revealed Answers
  1. Mew
  2. Baoba
  3. Celadon Game Corner (we also accepted Team Rocket Hideout/Base)
  4. Bill
  5. Farfetch'd
  6. Fuchsia City Gym
  7. Swift
  8. Copycat
Thank you for this information!:)

Back
Top Bottom