• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon World Maps

No they don't.

Let's see then. for Kanto, Saffron Megalopolis (In other words, the Saffron [based off of Marumouchi], Celadon [Based off of Shinjuku], Cerulean, Lavendar, and Vermillion [which is based off of Yokohama] city area) is based off of Tokyo. Pallet town is based off of Shimada, Viridian City is based off of South Yamanshi, Pewter is based off of North Yamanshi, Fuschia is based off of Tateyama, Cinnabar is based off of Oshima.

For Johto, New Bark is Shizuoka (to be even more precise, it's Hamamatsu), Cherrygrove is Nagoya, Violet is Nara, Goldenrod is Osaka, Ecrutek is Kyoto, Olivine is Kobe, Cianwood is Naruto, and Mahogany is Koka

For Hoenn, Littleroot is either Imari or Sasebo, Oldale is Saga, Petalburg is Fukuoka, Rustboro is Katakyushu, Dewford is Tsushima Island, Slateport is Nagasaki, Mauville is Kumamoto, Verdanturf is Kikuichi, Lavaridge is Aso (the town, not the volcano), Fallabor is Oita, Fortree is north Miyasaki, Lilycove is Kanoya, Mossdeep is Tanegashima, Sootopolis is Yakushima, and Evergrande City is supposed to be Naha. Pacifidlog is supposed to belong to one of the rural islands.

For Sinnoh, Twinleaf and Sandgem is Tomakomai, Jubilife is Sapporo, Oreburg is Yubari, Eterna is Asahikawa, Hearthrome is Obihiro, Veilstone is Abashiri, Pastoria is Kushiro (the city, not the Marsh), Canalave is Otaru, Snowpoint is Hamatonbetsu, and Sunyshore is Nemuro.

Heck, even ORRE has a location that's based off of Japan (Gateon Port is based off of Hiroshima)

Plus, they are placed more or less on the exact same spots as their real life counterparts.

You are mistaken because the Gulf of California as pictured in the google maps IS an ocean.

when I said an ocean, I meant an OPEN Ocean. A gulf is more like a bay (as in, a body of water that's almost surrounded by land, similar to a Penninsula.)

You've looked but it's been established that you're clearly an idiot. If the map proposed is accurate (as it almost certainly is) then you'll see Orre comprises of vast tracks of Arizona, as well as Mexico. Claiming it's based on either exclusively is stupid.

Should we label Pokemon.com and Nintendo Power as idiots, then? because by that same token, they are due to the fact that they made it seem as though Orre was based exclusively off of Arizona.

The orange islands have never appeared or been mentioned in the games. I think the very fact that they're called the orange islands is enough to completely disregard them as they were clearly thought up in about ten seconds flat by completely uninterested anime executives who earn way too much money for the pathetic tripe they roll out weekly.

I guess we can say the exact same thing about the Game producers as well, since MOST of the pokemon were more or less the same names as animals (e.g. Charmander's japanese name translates to salamander, Charmeleon's japanese name means Lizard, etc. etc.). Most of Kanto's badges were just named by the colors on them. Heck, Kanto in itself wasn't that unique (it was the only pokemon region thus far where it shares its name with a real life Japanese location.), and Plus, the regions of the main games are nothing more than the names of directions (Kantou means east, Jouto means west, Hoeen means south, and Shinou means north.)

There is no official proof that the Sevii island line up, or are directly below Kanto as presented in FR/LG, however there is also no evidence to the contrary either.

Should the Japanese map count as offical proof?

Again, I request a fullsize, unlabelled, unwatermarked and good quality map of Orre (from XD) with all locations unlocked.

I'm sick of the small one stolen from Serebii.net I keep seeing everywhere. Its size is not satisfying

http://wiki.filb.de/images/0/08/Orre.jpg
Sorry if it's small, but it was the largest of the ones you requested that I could find. Maybe if whoever works on Google, Yahoo, and MSN search actually has a backbone to UPLOAD a bigger version of the map you requested(like, I don't know, a 1000x500 scale) I'd be able to upload it for you, but unfortunately, I'm of little help.

To me, it seems that the Sevii Islands are south of Kanto but still north of the Orange Islands. Also, Hoenn might possibly be closer to Johto/Kanto than you think. And many people are still sayin Sinnoh is connected to land north of Kanto.

Anyone else notice how each region represents an area in Japan? Sinnoh is Hokkaido, Kanto is Kanto, Johto is (forgot the name of the region), and Hoenn is one of the main southern islands.

Well, After seeing the Almia map for myself, I think that the southeast corner would most likely belong to Orre, while the rest of it would most likely be part of another landmass. Also, for those of you saying that Sinnoh couldn't be next to Kanto since Snowpoint has snow, whileas northern kanto doesn't, I'd just like to point out that Mt. Kenya in africa, despite being near the equator, has snow on the top of it's peak, whileas none of the other areas near it has any snow. However, Sinnoh is DEFINITELY not near Kanto, since Professor oak said it was north of Kanto (however, he also said it was an Island, even though, technically it wasn't since there was a mountain chain going down the area when there should be an open sea at the bottom.).

What are you talking about? Shinnoh IS an island.

Sigh... Not according to this map:

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/d/d3/Shinnoh_DP_Map.jpg

You can't see an Ocean beyond the mountain region on the south side of the map. As far as I'm concerned, it's not an Island if you can't see any oceans beyond the mountain range. If anything, it more resembles a Peninsula.

The only "Island" main region that actually LOOKS like an Island (meaning, it's obviously entirely separated from land) is Hoenn.

BTW, just so we're clear, I mean we don't see an ocean directly underneath the Coronet mountain range.

EDIT: I created a link so as to fix the page

Last edited:
Did anyone notice that the Sinnoh Map from Bulbapedia is fan-edited?

The Real Sinnoh Map doesn't have towns on Sakhalin Island. It has vacant lands in place of towns.

This one is very ugly photoshopped.

Anyway, this big picture totally messes the page up.

Well then, I think that's a matter that needs to be dealt with, lest more people believe it to be true.

This is likely the actual map. Since its based off of Hokaido(spelling?) its very likely that it is an island aswell. I mean from your logic, we can also argue that there is no ocean north of Sinnoh, since we can't see the rest of the land past Snowpoint, or the rest of the Battle Island.

Or, how do we even know if Battle Zone is even an island? Why if there is a curved piece of land that attaches it to Snowpoint?

Well then, I think that's a matter that needs to be dealt with, lest more people believe it to be true.

This is likely the actual map. Since its based off of Hokaido(spelling?) its very likely that it is an island aswell. I mean from your logic, we can also argue that there is no ocean north of Sinnoh, since we can't see the rest of the land past Snowpoint, or the rest of the Battle Island.

Or, how do we even know if Battle Zone is even an island? Why if there is a curved piece of land that attaches it to Snowpoint?

Just because the region of Sinnoh is based off of Hokkaido, doesn't mean that it's an Island. Orre is based off of Chugoya, since Gateon port is similar to Hiroshima, and yet, Chugoya isn't a desert. Plus, Floraoma town's real life counterpart is a desert, not a flower-filled paradise (though it was hinted that it was originally a wasteland.).

Also, the north of Sinnoh doesn't invalidate my Arguement since the space is so small that it won't be long before land ends. However, I will acknowledge your point on Battle Zone (though with that one, it won't connect to snowpoint.).

the SOUTH of Sinnoh, on the other hand, has an entire mountain range on it. so, if you want to say that Sinnoh is an Island, please do care to tell me how many Islands have mountain ranges on them (I know that Islands, in themselves, are mountain ranges, but I mean mountain ranges ON the island)?

Even IF you use the arguement that Sinnoh could have a sea off-screen, that still doesn't explain the Mountain ranges.

Also, the north of Sinnoh doesn't invalidate my Arguement since the space is so small that it won't be long before land ends. However, I will acknowledge your point on Battle Zone (though with that one, it won't connect to snowpoint.).

It doesn't invalidate your point, I just used your logic. Sure it won't be long until said "land" ends, but prove it doesn't already hit mainland before then. I mean you argue it won't be long until the land ends and obviously there is no land near it, can't we argue that your strip of land begins to narrow at a much steeper angle (which infact it does), and does not connect to land, or is it wrong because you are right?

And prove that there isn't a curved piece of land that links it to Sinnoh mainland, and that the body of water isn't actually just a bay, or prove that the mainland isn't in the north, and that the south end just ends.

Then there's the whole question of Western Sinnoh, I mean the strip of land there is much larger than the south (and the land is actually angling outwards, meaining tis getting bigger, not inwards like SOuthern Sinnoh), why if that's where it attaches to the mainland?

Even IF you use the arguement that Sinnoh could have a sea off-screen, that still doesn't explain the Mountain ranges.
So plate techtonics doesn't apply here? What about the fact that Japan is at the edge of many of these plates, and if you are suggesting that, since it has mountains, it must mean it has mroe land mass, explain Japan? How does the existance of Mountain ranges equal to mroe land?

Now as for the West-Sinnoh theory:

Last edited:
Don't forget that Pokemon World is based on Japan.

Such big changes are impossible.

It has already been established that Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh are all based on Japan. However, with all the real-life references in Pokemon, the fact that each area is called a region, which all have the same national pokedex, it's possible that it IS Japan, and Pokemon just takes place in an alternative Earth where Pokemon just happen to exists. So, it'll probably look more like this:

I didn't make this, but I do like the idea of Pokemon taking placing on an alternative Earth, rather then taking place on a completely different world.

It has already been established that Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh are all based on Japan. However, with all the real-life references in Pokemon, the fact that each area is called a region, which all have the same national pokedex, it's possible that it IS Japan, and Pokemon just takes place in an alternative Earth where Pokemon just happen to exists. So, it'll probably look more like this:

I didn't make this, but I do like the idea of Pokemon taking placing on an alternative Earth, rather then taking place on a completely different world.

umm... star wars also had some earth references as well (let's see,in the original trilogy, the Interrogator droid was said to have been made in london (At least, that's what the label said on it), among other things) Plus, in the prequel trilogy, they actually showed REAL life ducks on Naboo, and there was even a scene on Coruscant that had a building that was EXTREMELY similar to the Empire State Building in New York City(Specifically, it's when Padme say's "Are you all right? I heard there was an attack on the Jedi temple! You can see the smoke from here!"), and that series didn't even have anything to do with the Milky Way Galaxy (not to mention that it didn't have anything to do with Earth).

Heck, in star fox command, one of the endings (I think it's the Lucy storyline) showed a skyline similar to San Fransisco (heck, they even had the Golden Gate Bridge lookalike as well.), and that game, while taking place in the Milky Way, didn't really take place in the Solar system (much less earth).

Not that I object to your belief that it's an alternate earth, but I'm just saying that sometimes real life references aren't enough.

Also, Here's something to mention, the only real life place they have actually visited, Hollywood, was barely even inhabitable (the mere looks of the city reminded me of when captain Archer was sent to an apocalyptic nightmare version of Earth in the Shockwave two-parter.). I think the only inhabitants of that town were that Meowth gang (the one led by Persian), Meowzie, Speilbum (presumably) and that couple that Meowth overheard a conversation from (I'm actually surprised that 4kids (or Kids WB, even) actually allowed that conversation on the public broadwaves.). They didn't really mention what on earth happened to that city. It can't have been a financial ruin, since even the Hoovervilles looked much more lively than that place. That leads credence to the fact that it might have been destroyed (I also think that that may have been a similarly named town [possibly a outpost named in honor of the place back on Actual earth, since, really, I don't see how they can just access hollyood when it's supposed to be far away from the real life equivalent of Pallet town.)

well, that's all for now.

the SOUTH of Sinnoh, on the other hand, has an entire mountain range on it. so, if you want to say that Sinnoh is an Island, please do care to tell me how many Islands have mountain ranges on them (I know that Islands, in themselves, are mountain ranges, but I mean mountain ranges ON the island)?

Last time I checked there is a mountain range in Japan called the Japanese Alps that runs through the island of Honshu. I think that invalidates your claim that islands can't have mountain ranges.

Just because Sinnoh is next to Kanto on this map doesn't mean that it's actually directly to the east of it. Those clouds are like the border that separates Alaska on a map of the United States. Although, even if it was directly east, there's still an explanation for the Sinnoh snow being right next to the Kanto desert - that part of Sinnoh is at a high elevation and all those mountains to the north of Kanto are blocking the moisture from going any further north. Most deserts are near mountain ranges.

Well if everything is in an alternate universe and Kanto, Johto, The Orange Archipelago, the Sevi Islands, and Sinnoh are part of the alternate Japan, Almi and Fiore are part of the alternate Korea, and Orre is part of the altenate USA, no one ever said the Orre was on the Kantonet did they?

OK, I have made a list of all the known pokemon regions and ones said about:

Main places so far: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Orange Islands, Sevii Islands

Orre Bulbapedia quote:
This region is noticeably protrudent, divided to a large desert wasteland and a mountainous area of greenery. It is based on Arizona, which is also known for its desert landscapes and has mountains with greenery in the north. In addition, the region and towns are named after minerals, and Arizona is known for its mining industry.

Fiore and Almera (Is that right spelling?)

TCG: Holon (An area supposed to be north of Kanto.) The main landscape is city walkways with the Holon tower spewing out electromagnetic radiation which can change the type pokemon living there (Pidgy in EX Holon Phantoms is electric type for example)

Game references to real world locations: South America, Australia, China, Antarctic, the United States, England and France

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom