• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon World School System

flyinglilypad

Reaction score
This is just something that I've always pondered. What is up with the educational system in the Pokemon world? We've seen special Pokemon schools in the show, to prepare children to be better Pokemon trainers. This reminds me of the Performance and Fine Art schools in the real world, where students study drama and dance as well as traditional things like math and science.

Also, trainers are allowed to leave their home and school at 10. Ash, for instance, has participated in numerous Tournament competitions and collected the badges for them all. He has been without any non-pokemon education for several seasons.

So what do these kids do? Do they take correspondance type courses along the way? Make up for it later? Or just give up traditional education entirely, for life? I can't imagine that would make a well educated society. Also, people like Professor Oak obviously had to continue their education.

I don't know much about the Japanese school systems, but in the U.S, failure to enroll your child in school can result in them being placed in the foster care system. If anyone has any info or views on this, I would love to know.

Also, sorry if I've missed something. I've only seen the anime up to about mid-Hoenn.

Now this is one of the subject never pondered about in hte Pokemon World. Well I have no answers but I suppose they do go thru school during their younger days.

Anyway their education system makes no sense to me.... :p

I don't know much about the Japanese school systems, but in the U.S, failure to enroll your child in school can result in them being placed in the foster care system. If anyone has any info or views on this, I would love to know.
In Japan, compulsory education only goes as far as middle school. Though, it's rather uncommon for student not to continue their education through high school.

In the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga, Ash said he was on "Trainer's Leave", what ever that means.

Anyways, I always assumed that compulsory education in the Pokemon world only covered primary/elementary school, (Which is pretty much where you learn all of the stuff that you're actually going to use in life.) and then you choose to continue your education into what ever field you want, such as Pokemon Training or being a researcher. Seeing as how the Pokemon world is rather Utopian, there's plenty of room for experimentation without to much threat of consequences.

But Ash has been out of school for so long. I mean, other kids will be way ahead of him even if he can go straight to college-type education. At 10, I couldn't even divide. I couldn't separate my essays into paragraphs. Some 10 year olds can't even write cursive.

I mean, what's going to happen to poor Ash? u_u Yeah, I saw the Trainer's Leave thing too. I think it's rather weak though. They don't mention it or detail it hardly at all. I could see a student taking a year off to learn about Pokemon and travel, as some kids do that IRL (sans pokemon) in high school. But Ash has been gone far longer than a year.

But Ash has been out of school for so long. I mean, other kids will be way ahead of him even if he can go straight to college-type education.
Who said institutions like that even exist? The Pokemon world seems to employ a very liberal system of learning, where you either teach what ever it is you want to learn to yourself through trial and error like Trainers, or find someone to study under, like Researchers.

Given how nobody at all seems to know what any Pokemon they don't own actually does, I'm guessing they don't even get an education in that. I mean, we saw a school that teaches some of that, but even it seems reserved for the super-rich...however it is money gets made.

It's possible that school in the Pokemon world is an optional thing and can be taken whenever needed. Basically it's just at thing that is only needed for "extra learnings".

I figure since the Pokemon anime revolves around Pokemon training, schools for other kinds of education aren't touched upon. However, it doesn't mean they don't exist. Pokemon world education systems are probably a lot more rigorous and start equipping kids with the basics of reading, writing, arithmetic and science from the age of 3. Deeper aspects like geography, history, the arts and any advanced levels of literary/mathematic stuff would be tackled afterwards, should the child stay in education. However, most children don't as a result of further education costs being so high. As a result, at age ten when they finish their basic studies, they leave and persue self education through Pokemon training/researching/etc. As Dual said, a process of trial and error.

Pokemon trainer schools, which are free to anyone with a trainer's license, give a better understanding of battling techniques, battle courtesy and Pokemon in general.

I don't see many RPGs where they go to school (even if they are very young), and still they seem to do fine. They learn by experience on their adventures. The anime is the same as the games.

Well we do know that kids in that world are able to read and write fluently by the age of 10 at the latest, which are necessary skills for Pokemon journeys.

Trainer's Leave is a real possibility, because if the student decided that they wanted to be a Pokemon Master, then they wouldn't need more schooling, would they? The Pokedex would tell them everything they needed to know.

Another possibility is that the Pokedex could act as a sort of portable tutor. Teach lessons when you have some downtime, stuff like that.

In the Pokemon learning web site (I forget what it is called), Ash has a nifty little device that lets him call people who teach him about certain subjects like math or science. So in a way Ash can keep up with his education while he is on his pokemon journey.

In the Pokemon learning web site (I forget what it is called), Ash has a nifty little device that lets him call people who teach him about certain subjects like math or science. So in a way Ash can keep up with his education while he is on his pokemon journey.

Thanks <3 that sounds like the best way for them to learn. Go on their journey and take online-type classes. I hadn't really thought of it though, probably because they should have mentioned in some of the anime episodes.

I don't think they'll ever mention that in the anime, because the Learning League is not canon, and I think it's US only.

The point is learning about stuff other than pokémon, which is why they need Wikipedia.

If people went to school in the Pokemon world then they wouldn't fall for Team Rocket's silly traps and costumes.

Even at real-world Performing Arts schools, don't they teach you things like math and science anyway? Sure, there's a far greater emphasis on acting or music or whatnot, but you still have to learn the basics. Right?

My high school had a program where if someone wanted to be an auto mechanic or a plumber or something, they would spend half of the day at the high school taking all the necessary subjects, then they'd be bussed to a technical school and finish the day there.

I can't imagine that all the Pokemon trainers in the world only have a 4th or 5th grade education. That'd just be ridiculous.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom