• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon X and Y: 10 years later

Wild to think it's been 10 years already... I remember watching the direct that announced it live and everything

Anywho, my relationship with XY is weird. Do I think it's the best gen quality wise? Nah, it's kinda basic, the story and some of the characters can be weak and I'm kinda a little mixed on the concept of megas (hot take I know).

But idk everything else from Kalos itself, the Pokemon introduced, and just the general vibes and aesthetics has me like... weirdly enthralled with these games, to the point I consider gen 6 my favorite of the gens. These weren't even my first games in the series (that would be BW), but idk man, these games strike a cord with me hard.

Anywho, happy anniversary XY! You may be flawed, but dang it, I love ya!

Last edited:
XY are very memorable games for me. They made me buy a 3DS and got me in the game community for good after watching a Tuber's playthrough. I chose X at the time. The game had its flaws for sure, such as being too easy and not enhancing the Mega Evolution plot in the game properly (OR/AS did a better job with it), but that was maybe because they treated Mega Evolution to be very special and not easy to reach by just anyone.

There is a "leak" that came public in 2014. Allegedly the gameplay and the plot had different elements, but later they were flatted or excluded entirely because GameFreak had to meet the deadline. The leak contains elements which were later used in future games, such as Sun & Moon, Sword & Shield and Legends: Arceus. Given the fact that the leaks came in 2014, I find them to be rather creditable. If the games were released as the leak claimed the intentions, the XY games would have been much more superior games.

To sum it up, the leaks claim that,
  • Mega Evolution was more related to the aliens. Aliens would slowly take over Kalos and the Earth to destroy it. Sycamore and Lysandre were intended to be the same person (akin to Kukui and the Masked Royal). Sycamore would be exposed to a space rock, and Lysandre would be possessed as half alien (akin to Lusamine and Nihilego).
  • AZ was intended to be an alien first. He came to Earth in the past to destroy it because of the war happening at the time, but would change his mind after meeting Floette. He would wander around the world as he ages much slower than humans.
  • Mega Stones were of alien origin that came with AZ's spaceship. Box legendaries were originally aliens too.
  • More Mega Evolutions were planned but then some of them were cut out because they wanted Mega Evolution to be more special.
  • During the most early stages, fairy-type would be more plot relevant. They would represent aliens who came to earth from the moon.
  • Looker would have had a much bigger role investigating incidents in Kalos.
  • The rivals would represent a feature. You could use those features online, but each rival would represent the feature in the form of an NPC player (battle scores, caught Pokémon etc). They cut the feature but kept the rivals.
  • Clemont and Bonnie switched roles. It was originally older sister Bonnie and younger brother Clemont. The reason of change is Clemont was too similar to Trevor.
  • Wulfric had a larger role in the final relevant to Mewtwo but it was cut in the end because there was no time to finish it before the deadline. His city also would be floating on a giant Avalugg on a frozen ocean. There would be a segment where you ride on a regular Avalugg to get there like how you ride Rhyhorn and Gogoat.

There are more interesting claims but I don't have time to go through all the list. The disclaimer's source is allegedly the people who worked in the development of XY that he got in contact with. I don't usually buy the leaks online but how those elements were altered in future games, it gets me to think that it could indeed be possibly true.

X and Y aren't bad games by any means, but they are among the weaker games in the series. the rivals weren't fleshed out enough except for Shauna, and the villain was a joke. The mega evolution storyline was compelling, but after it reached its climax around the 3rd gym, the plot lost steam. Very little compelling happened after that point.

To give my own thoughts: X and Y were the first Pokémon games I actively followed from reveal to release and beyond, so to me, the difference between release dates in Japan and elsewhere hasn't been an issue. While it took me years to make myself buy a 3DS, I followed a Let's Play of the games right after they were released, and when I finally did but a 3DS, X was the first game I played on it. And now, I plan to replay the game with a fresh copy to celebrate this anniversary (bought another copy of the game months ago to avoid having to erase my previous Kalos team).

While the games may not have the most content in the entire franchise, I still find the Kalos region charming and interesting. Shame that we never got a third version or a sequel to give Zygarde the story it deserved in its native region.

Happy tenth anniversary, X and Y, Mega Evolution, and Fairy type!

• Mega Evolution was more related to the aliens. Aliens would slowly take over Kalos and the Earth to destroy it. Sycamore and Lysandre were intended to be the same person (akin to Kukui and the Masked Royal). Sycamore would be exposed to a space rock, and Lysandre would be possessed as half alien (akin to Lusamine and Nihilego).
  • AZ was intended to be an alien first. He came to Earth in the past to destroy it because of the war happening at the time, but would change his mind after meeting Floette. He would wander around the world as he ages much slower than humans.
  • Mega Stones were of alien origin that came with AZ's spaceship. Box legendaries were originally aliens too.
  • More Mega Evolutions were planned but then some of them were cut out because they wanted Mega Evolution to be more special.
  • During the most early stages, fairy-type would be more plot relevant. They would represent aliens who came to earth from the moon.
Seen that before.
Clemont and Bonnie switched roles. It was originally older sister Bonnie and younger brother Clemont. The reason of change is Clemont was too similar to Trevor.
That would be pretty fun, ngl.

XY are very memorable games for me. They made me buy a 3DS and got me in the game community for good after watching a Tuber's playthrough. I chose X at the time. The game had its flaws for sure, such as being too easy and not enhancing the Mega Evolution plot in the game properly (OR/AS did a better job with it), but that was maybe because they treated Mega Evolution to be very special and not easy to reach by just anyone.

There is a "leak" that came public in 2014. Allegedly the gameplay and the plot had different elements, but later they were flatted or excluded entirely because GameFreak had to meet the deadline. The leak contains elements which were later used in future games, such as Sun & Moon, Sword & Shield and Legends: Arceus. Given the fact that the leaks came in 2014, I find them to be rather creditable. If the games were released as the leak claimed the intentions, the XY games would have been much more superior games.

To sum it up, the leaks claim that,
  • Looker would have had a much bigger role investigating incidents in Kalos.
  • The rivals would represent a feature. You could use those features online, but each rival would represent the feature in the form of an NPC player (battle scores, caught Pokémon etc). They cut the feature but kept the rivals.
  • Clemont and Bonnie switched roles. It was originally older sister Bonnie and younger brother Clemont. The reason of change is Clemont was too similar to Trevor.
  • Wulfric had a larger role in the final relevant to Mewtwo but it was cut in the end because there was no time to finish it before the deadline. His city also would be floating on a giant Avalugg on a frozen ocean. There would be a segment where you ride on a regular Avalugg to get there like how you ride Rhyhorn and Gogoat.

There are more interesting claims but I don't have time to go through all the list. The disclaimer's source is allegedly the people who worked in the development of XY that he got in contact with. I don't usually buy the leaks online but how those elements were altered in future games, it gets me to think that it could indeed be possibly true.
Really awesome leaks, especially the Avalugg part. I always felt like Avalugg would make for an awesome ride Pokemon and was surprised they went with Mamoswine instead of a new species...

Didn't Zygarde have special moves in X/Y that it could never legally learn? And there was that special Eternal Flower Floette that we never got. With all the rumors of cut content that was never used for these games, it makes X/Y feel even more sloppy than before.

Still not sure why they never officially released her. What was even the point of having an awesome move like Light Of Ruin if nothing can even learn it?
It is not the only part of the Kalos saga that feels unfinished... I would guess it was intended for the next game(s) in the region, and the data we have on it was just for compatibility.

i like and appreciate what X&Y did introduce! rollerblades were certainly a novel item, a much more exciting travel option than the bicycle, and the PSS is the one thing that kept Pokemon fans raving for generations considering how subsequent generations' interaction systems pale in comparison. kalos is a great region, and mega evolutions were, imo, an actual fun gimmick. pokemon amie was cool, too!!

but i feel like one of the minority in that while X&Y are indeed cool games, they didn't blow me away by any means. i understand this is a thread for celebrating X&Y and whatnot, so i won't harp on my lukewarm feelings on it too much.

happy 10 years, x&y!! despite my grievances, you were still enjoyable games. c:

and the PSS is the one thing that kept Pokemon fans raving for generations considering how subsequent generations' interaction systems pale in comparison.
PSS is so far the best iteration of online in pokemon and everything after has been worse in my most ways for sure. And it's a shame because they nailed so much in the first try with PSS.

Wonder Trade was so amusing when first introduced. Its novelty unfortunately faded quickly...

i wasn't, but upon looking it up, it seems i misremembered. apparently Az only reunites with it after you battle him. Yeah, i don't replay these games very often.
OK, I can't hold that against you. If you haven't played the game in a while I guess it would be kinda hard to remember that. But yeah though, Eternal Flower Floette is never used by anyone in battle, hence why I wrote the post I did before.

Back
Top Bottom