• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon X and Y: 10 years later

Light of Ruin should be added as a move to fairy type pokemon, even if nerfed because 140 bp with just recoil sounds kind of ridiculous in some of them since plenty of fairy type pokemon have high special attack.

Light of Ruin was balanced coming off Floette stats. I do not think it would be balanced off 130+ Special Attack... To think there were even more busted ones in the 160 range Megas like Gardevoir/Diancie before...

Do not even get me started on a Twinkle Tackle off that BP

Wonder Trade was so amusing when first introduced. Its novelty unfortunately faded quickly...
I loved how generous were the people in Wonder Trade. After Bank opened, starters from previous generations and Phione were ridiculously easy to obtain. Nowadays something that shouldn't be that hard to obtain and transfer like a Meltan is impossible to find (yes I know that example only applies to SWSH) and the rarest thing you get is version exclusives.

I love the X/Y games. I feel like part of the reason I used to think they were inferior was because other people were saying at the time...Sadly, I'm easily swayed if enough people feel strongly about something.

But in all honesty, the story was good enough for me, and I loved the five main characters. The only one I wasn't crazy about was Calem; I've never found characters like him interesting. But I really liked Tierno's love of dancing and the fact that he wasn't portrayed as a lazy guy who eats a lot. I loved Trevor and how obsessed he was with completing the Pokedex (not very good at it, apparently)...and I really loved Shauna and how she just wanted to make good memories. The scene with her and the player watching the fireworks was very sweet, and she's got some great lines the game, too. Their musical theme is great, too!

I liked Sycamore, Lysandre, and Diantha, and reading people's speculations on what sort of relationship the three of them had. Team Flare was okay. I remember reading a really interesting theory that they were all being mind controlled; this was based on the way so many of them reacted by holding their heads when they were defeated, or something like that.

I would have definitely liked to know more about the background of the rest of Team Flare, and not just Lysandre. They knew that only they would survive the destruction of the world (or be the only ones allowed to live forever), but did they know that Pokemon wouldn't be part of Lysandre's new society? And did they all pay the entrance fee to join? Team Flare must be loaded...

And the designs of the new Pokemon were a lot of fun, especially the Ghost types. I love Pumpkaboo and Phantump. Did I mention the entire game is freakin' gorgeous? And honestly, the music is some of the best in the series in my opinion. The power plant music is one of my favorite pieces.

And don't forget the best part of all...the Lumiose City ghost. I still wonder if we'll ever find out who she was, her backstory, and if she's connected to that note that says, "I'm going to go for help. Wait in the usual place." ...Probably not. But it's still fun to speculate!

I almost never do online play, unless it's to trade, so the PSS and O-Powers didn't mean anything for me, but I've heard that the game had some of the best online content in the series, too.

Excuse my rambling.

Honestly? My history with these games has been weird. My appreciation for Kalos has been rather recent in comparison to most Kalos fans. X and Y came out in 2013, but I never got a 3DS until 2016. When I got a 3DS I prioritized on getting ORAS over X or Y. I got X but then kinda left it in the dust for 5 years after one sad excuse of a playthrough. I caught onto the bandwagon that these "are the worst Pokémon games. They're too easy and boring, etc." Furthermore, they were just outclassed by ORAS. A couple years after I decided to take a break from main series games in general.

In 2021 I started wondering what major things I haven't done in Pokémon yet, and one of them was completing the National Pokédex. I chose to do it in Alpha Sapphire, since it was my favorite game at the time, and I didn't really have much of a choice outside Gen 6. Thinking back at it I realized I also never really gave Kalos a fair shot and for the impressive things Gen 6 as a whole did for the series, I decided to use completing the National Dex as an excuse to actually dig into Kalos. I took my time through X, and needless to say the game felt very unique. It was like you were in a museum, being shown a lot of displays and getting told lots of rich history. You had Pokémon on your side that were given to help you tour around (referencing the stackload of free Pokémon you get in the game), and towards the end of your visit, the big bad dude wants to use the main display of this museum to commit mass genocide, leaving you as one of the few who could possibly stop him. The game was very easy, but at the same time, pretty interesting. Kalos has a very strong backstory to tell and I wanted to dig in in order to understand more of it.

I bought Y several months later not because I needed it but because I had 3/4 Gen 6 mainline games and wanted to complete the collection. Also X was fun. I played through Y within 2 days and felt the same way. Though there was a lack of post-game, the sheer amount of Pokémon to obtain for the National Dex made these games worth.

After digging through a little bit of X and Y, I decided to learn as much about the lore behind its legendaries and AZ as possible, and to understand the base story, about Lysandre, the rivals, the mysteries people have wondered about Kalos, and to my surprise, I've discovered that by digging through X and Y, most people actually don't at all. Heck most people don't even read Lysandre's dialogue enough to get a basic understanding of what his goals are and why he's doing it, so he ends up getting so misunderstood and shrugged as "I'm destroying the world because people look ugly" when this is quite immensely inaccurate. I'm not going to explain in this post, but while the writing is pretty scattered, to the point where it requires you going out of your way to seek out in-game dialogue from as many places in the game as possible, and thinking back in hindsight of the game's lore + story events to figure out the story, I find the story itself pretty cool and one of my favorites in the series. For Pokémon standards there's a great bit of depth involved to it, and honestly most of the questions Pokétubers ask about Gen 6's story are answered one way or another, but this information is something ppl have to constantly fish for and think about in order to obtain.

Nevertheless for some reason I've formed some kind of deep connection with the Kalos region and its characters since. Maybe it's for the revolutionary lore they brought to the table? Maybe it's the features XY placed in the series that became staples? Maybe because XY is just a good game? Idk. My guess is the combination of the three alongside the fact this generation significantly impacted who I would turn out as a Pokémon fan for the greater, after I felt Gen 5 left a lot to be desired during its time when I was a kid. I made a post giving off a sample of reasons. All I know is that a lot went on with X and Y, and while the story wasn't all done, the gameplay mechanics were a masterpiece and Pokémon changed forever because of it. It's gone to the point where when despite its blatant flaws, I prefer what XY have to what almost any other Pokémon game has, and I hope Kalos can be seen again in the future.

On another note it's also nice to see characters from those games shine in Masters, Diantha actually doing something, Serena getting a Sygna Suit Zygarde pair with its Complete forme, Lysandre whipping out Volcanion and debunking common rumors people had about it in XY, etc. They were all also incredible in the XYZ anime, similar to the Unova Gym Leaders in the games, except some Gym Leaders like Olympia were even more dope.

Last edited:
it's been a few days since kalos's birthday, and while they aren't necessarily my favorite pokemon games, i wanted to list off some of the things i enjoyed, and still enjoy, about it

• kalos itself. god it's such a beautiful region.
  • the amount of new pokemon introduced may have been limited, but there were still some great ones in there. goodra, pumpkaboo, furfrou, diancie, SYLVEON! ^^
  • and on that subject? it brought us the fairy type!
  • not to mention mega evos.
  • the SOUNDTRACK. i love edm so the battle themes in this game (the gym leader + e4 specifically) slayed me

actually i guess i'm out but i thought i might as well say something positive about it. (i mean, those aren't necessarily the only things i like about it, but those are the best new things i think it introduced, so)

As for Sylveon, it is surprising we did not get any new Eeveelutions in 10 years... We did get an exclusive Z-Move and Gigantamax form, though. But I remember trying to guess what type Sylveon was gonna be before Fairy type was introduced...

After digging through a little bit of X and Y, I decided to learn as much about the lore behind its legendaries and AZ as possible, and to understand the base story, about Lysandre, the rivals, the mysteries people have wondered about Kalos, and to my surprise, I've discovered that by digging through X and Y, most people actually don't at all. Heck most people don't even read Lysandre's dialogue enough to get a basic understanding of what his goals are and why he's doing it, so he ends up getting so misunderstood and shrugged as "I'm destroying the world because people look ugly" when this is quite immensely inaccurate. I'm not going to explain in this post, but while the writing is pretty scattered, to the point where it requires you going out of your way to seek out in-game dialogue from as many places in the game as possible, and thinking back in hindsight of the game's lore + story events to figure out the story, I find the story itself pretty cool and one of my favorites in the series. For Pokémon standards there's a great bit of depth involved to it, and honestly most of the questions Pokétubers ask about Gen 6's story are answered one way or another, but this information is something ppl have to constantly fish for and think about in order to obtain.
The problem with XY's story is how poorly paced it is and how underdeveloped most of the cast is. Lysandre is also the most obvious villain in the series because you can see he's the villain the mere second you lay your eyes on him (Chairman Rose in SwSh does give him a run for his money on the obvious villain department). And even if people understand Lysandre's motivation he's still a nothing villain because of the poor pacing of the game, he's hardly in the game and thus there's hardly any buildup for him (there's an huge gap in the story where he doesn't show up once between very early on in the game and the fifth gym).

And c'mon, a great bit of depth? It's surface level at best and many other RPGs have tackled the subjects XY tackled in far greater detail. It's clear they wanted to tell more by introducing so many characters and concepts but the clear rushed schedule caused them to have to take an axe to most of the story and leave it incredibly barebones. I mean, Mega Evolution is brought up as this amazing thing early on, but gets dropped off of early on and it's hardly brought up again (Elite Four members and Gym Leaders don't even use it as well).

Last edited:
I played through both X and Y, and while they aren't my favourite Pokemon games, I still like them better than Black/White and all Generation VII-VIII games. Generation VI may be small, but it introduced many great Pokemon like Greninja, Chesnaught, Talonflame, Sylveon, Hawlucha, Gogoat, Heliolisk, Dragalge, Clawitzer, Aurorus, Trevenant, Aegislash, Pangoro, Malamar, and Xerneas. Mega Evolution is the only battle gimmick I actually like, the Horde Battles are very useful for level grinding and EV training, the Inverse Battles are pretty fun, and I even liked Sky Battles, although I wish they didn't ruin models for Pokemon like Skarmory, Xatu, and Swellow. That being said, there were things I didn't like at all, such as very small teams for Gym Leaders, Elite Four and the rivals not named Calem/Serena (with some of their Pokemon not even having full movesets), the lack of post-game content, and way too many NPC roadblocks, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

I recently replayed Pokémon Y and actually beat the game this time and, while I did enjoy it, I'd still say it's among the weaker side as far as Pokémon games go. Like I still had fun, I don't think I've played a mainline Pokémon game where I didn't at least have fun playing it, but you know as a whole the game is just kind of...OK?

Of course it also introduced Goodra, who is my fave Pokémon, so maybe X/Y are actually the best Pokémon games ever made lol.

Pokemon Legends: Z-A (PLZA)...bit of a surprise. I would have thought (as likely most of the community felt this way) that Unova or Johto was next. The fact they totally skipped Gen V is insane.
Considering that Legends Arceus started in Jubilife City being Jubilife Village, how will Lumiose City be reduced in this new game? Lumiose City is based on Paris, so perhaps we can get some general idea based on how Paris developed, especially since the game will be set entirely in Lumiose City.

My other wondering is what Mega Evolutions will be included. Will it be specifically the X & Y ones, or will the ORAS ones be added, or will we see new ones?

Mega Evolution was Kalos's whole thing, so i strongly suspect they'll be back. I do think the region will be handled differently than Hisui though; unlike Hokkaido, France was never an unkempt wilderness.

This thread makes me feel super frakking old. Thanks. XD

X made me cry all of my body's moisture out of my eyes, so I'm looking forward to Round 2 of that.

Back
Top Bottom