• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon X and Y Contest Battles

White Yoshi

Racing and Pokemon fan.
Reaction score
I had this idea for us to have contest battles. This goes similar to Battle Arena from R/S/E.

Requirements:
3/5 People (2/4 battlers and 1 unbiased judge). Sometimes a battler can be a judge too.

Rules:
1 Pokemon only (2 in Double/Multi and 3 in Triple)
If you're Pokemon is knockedout because of the opposing trainer, the opposing trainer is DQ.
If you're Pokemon is knockedout because of you (via Explosion, Recoil, Orbs etc.) you are DQ.
You battle for 3 turns (more if you desire), after the 3 turns. You both leave the battle.
BOTH trainers save the battle video and post it online so the judge can see both videos.
Judge will then announce who won.

Scoring system:
There is a scoring system for these battles that focus on Accuracy, Power and HP.

Power - You'll get points depending on the Power of the moves you used (e.g. 80 Power = 80 Points). Added Power from items or stat increasing, doesn't count. You'll get no points if a move misses. Using Counter or Mirror Coat won't give you Power points.
HP - You'll get points depending on how much HP you have left by double (140 HP = 280 Points).
Accuracy - You'll lose points by 50 everytime a move misses or fails. You won't lose points if your move fails by Protect and its variants.

It is possible to get negative points.

Tier System:
I don't have one yet but if we get a lot of battles in we can probably make a tier list, like this.
X (banned tier):
S:
A:
B:
C:

Full time judges:
If you can't find a independant judge, you can come here and look for full time judges. You can sign up too.
1: White Yoshi (FC: 1203-9350-6669)
2: BDManipulationZ (FC: 2793-0636-1682)

Last edited:
Is anyone willing to have a test battle with me to see how this plays out.

Hmmm, so basically, you are trying to obtain as many points as possible without knocking the other pokemon out? I don't really remember the Battle Arena o:

Hmmm, so basically, you are trying to obtain as many points as possible without knocking the other pokemon out? I don't really remember the Battle Arena o:

Basically :). Want to try it out and battle me, I can be the judge.

Ok, I'll see ya out there (just a reminder: 1 Pokemon ;)).

The first, and possibly only, time that Focus Miss will ever come in handy.

XD. I was lucky. I just need your Battle Video so I can calculate your HP.

If I recall correctly, it was at 155, which I think in total results me in 270 points, including the two misses from Focus Blast. Here it is anyways:
PF7W-WWWW-WWW5-USKD

Edit: Just kidding!! I had 128. 155 is what I had after the Hidden Power lol

Here are the results:

Cress:
Turn 1: 60 (Hidden Power)
Turn 2: -50
Turn 3: -50
HP at end: 128 (256 points)
Total: 216 pts.

White Yoshi:
Turn 1: -50
Turn 2: 60 (Hidden Power)
Turn 3: 40 (Quick Attack)
HP at the end: 59 (so 118 points).
Total: 168.

You won the first contest battle, congrats :).

Thanks! But it was a little unfair I think - I brought a team of 6 and you brought just that 1. I was planning on bringing Ampharos from the start, but seeing your lone Pidgeot made me certain lol
Maybe tomorrow we can have one where it's a fair 1 - on - 1 :)

Unless I'm missing something here, optimal strategy would seem to be running high defensive, low offensive base stat pokemon with defensive EVs, minus offense nature, HP replenishing held-item and spam the highest base power non-STAB move it can learn? :p

Can be but at the same time your giving your opponent high HP points while the oppenent can unload defensive Pokemon with high attack power without consequences.

I'm ready to do another contest battle if anyone wants to battle me.

Anyway talking about teir, I was thinking maybe Blissey and Chansey should be in S or the X tier.

Anyway talking about teir, I was thinking maybe Blissey and Chansey should be in S or the X tier.
Anything running False Swipe (or Hold Back Celebi) will shake things up as well.

EDIT: Shedinja learns False Swipe. Help us all... :uhoh:

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom