• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon X&Y: The Friend Dynamic?

Strix182

Johto/Unova Trainer
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was checking out the official X&Y site, and I noticed that there are not one, not two, not three, but FOUR characters listed in the section entiled "Friends to the End." In Gen. I we met our first rival, Professor Oak's grandson, (whose name the Professor has forgotten) who most player came to know as Gary Oak (what an ass). In Gen. II, we catch a young juvenile delinquent stealing a pokemon from Professor Elm and end up encountering him over and over again as he quests to whip his pokemon into perfect fighting condition. In Gen. III we meet Brendan/May and the ill Wally, both of whom wish to beat the pokemon league, like the player. In Gen. IV we meet our childhood friend and soon to be rival, the impatient Barry. In Gen V, things pick up a notch. We're paired up with the studious Cheren and the flighty Bianca, and butt heads with the mysterious freedom fighter N. Now in Gen. VI, we've got the energetic Shauna, the burly dancer, Tierno, the curious Trevor, and the player's gender counterpart, Serena or Calem. Each character seems to have their own personality and seems to have a close connection with the player. The new Holo-Caster allows the companion characters to contact the player, hopefully not to talk about how their Marill smells like a dust mop. The companions will even try to give you a personal nickname! This seems to imply that there will be some deep character interaction with the companions, not just the periodic battle challenge from time to time. What does everyone think of this? Could the companion mechanic become a lot more complex than in previous generations or will it be the same as always? Either way, I'm very excited for X and Y!

who most player came to know as Gary Oak

True, but let it be know that his name is Blue.

Anyway, as for these friend peoples: as long as they want to fight me, I'm good with whatever they do. I'm anticipating some deeper relationships with all the friends we're getting, which will be good and hopefully, for me, done better than Gen V.

But really, though, I just would like us to have a nice battle from time to time.

who most player came to know as Gary Oak

True, but let it be know that his name is Blue.

Anyway, as for these friend peoples: as long as they want to fight me, I'm good with whatever they do. I'm anticipating some deeper relationships with all the friends we're getting, which will be good and hopefully, for me, done better than Gen V.

But really, though, I just would like us to have a nice battle from time to time.

I think they will all fight you, just some more than others.

1. Calem/Serena- they'll fight you the most since they occupy the traditional rival spot
2. Shauna- She's trying to figure what she wants to do with her life. She'll probably battle you to see if she'll be a good Trainer.
3. Tierno- He's more focused on dancing. However he uses battles to check out how his Pokemon move. So he'd probably like to battle you in order to watch everything
4. Trevor- He seems to be more concerned about the Pokedex then battling. However I can see him battling you when you guys compare Pokedexes. I can see him having a different team each time to reflect the Pokemon he caught that place (like N but he actually keeps them).

But yeah I also think they'll have in depth stories compared to past games. I'm interested to see where GameFreak takes these characters. They have the potential to be really great.

I think it will be interesting to see how the group of friends advances together. Since the concept of team Flare seems kind of boring compared to previous games maybe most of the story will be character drama. Hay maybe it will be like Persona in that you can chose who to spend time with and who to battle as you progress though the game.

I like the fact I get more of a challenge from having more riv- I mean friends.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom