• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon XY Corocoro poster!

So a gym leader, a player character, and a younger sibling to one of the previously mentioned... does this sound like Advanced Generation to anyone else?

Let's just hope things go better for XY than they did for AG...

I actually wasn't the first person to spot that. Someone else did and I just looked carefully. ^^

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Not Clemont. I wanted Cilan to stay! Why?
My reaction to Clemont being in the anime was along the lines of
gif0072.gif
. oh well. i guess that means ill be more active on the caption the screenshots

Honestly, I just don't see that as disappointing at all.

If the characters are good and believable, whether gay/black/muslim/straight/blonde/old/young/tan/pale, then I'm going to enjoy it.

I don't think any franchise needs to constantly represent every demographic in their work. Sometimes adding them in is just an insincere marketing tool.

I don't look like any of the Kalos cast and I'm fine with it.

representation is important
REPRESENTATION IS SO FREAKING IMPORTANT OH MY FUCKING ARCEUS

I'm holding Pokemon to a slightly higher standard than I normally would with anime because they've actually represented a variety of people on the main cast and I've really enjoyed that.

Does it need to represent everyone/everything in the spectrum? No, that's impossible. But giving attention to the underrepresented is so important because, they're just that - underrepresented. And those who may relate with them will highly appreciate it. Pokemon has a more global audience (now more than ever since they're releasing the anime around the same time). I think they can do much better.

Edit: also, i find it highly insensitive that 'considering a demographic' can be reduced to something so shallow as market potential. Great to know that people of color are so tasking to put in television shows.

As someone who actually liked Max (so adorkable) I'm looking forward to how Clemont and Bonnie work out in the main cast.

Also, I think I can see a Bulbasaur under Fennekin in the poster. Don't take my word for it, because it could just be some other colored blob, but it looks like a Bulbasaur.

Serena? Meh. I didn't want her to be in the anime. Once again a female protagonist will be ruined to me.

Clemont? Yes! I wish he had a Elikiteru instead of an awful Dedenne though.

Agreed with you on both, I'd rather have him be with Alexa, because I don't want Serena as his companion, because I feel like she will be nothing more than a May/Dawn clone who will most likely be interested in being a Coordinator, and I didn't like Dawn because to me, she was nothing more than a clone of May and I found her to be boring in my opinion.

Clemont is fine for a change of pace, but like you said, I rather have him with a Helioptile than a Dedenne, because I find Helioptile more appealing and Dedenne nothing more than an excuse to sell plush toys. As for Bonnie, I don't want her to be another Max clone, as I didn't like Max, he didn't do anything and was just THERE travelling with Ash, I want Bonnie to have at least one Pokemon at best.

REPRESENTATION IS SO FREAKING IMPORTANT OH MY FUCKING ARCEUS

I'm holding Pokemon to a slightly higher standard than I normally would with anime because they've actually represented a variety of people on the main cast and I've really enjoyed that.

Does it need to represent everyone/everything in the spectrum? No, that's impossible. But giving attention to the underrepresented is so important because, they're just that - underrepresented. And those who may relate with them will highly appreciate it. Pokemon has a more global audience (now more than ever since they're releasing the anime around the same time). I think they can do much better.

I know you mean well. But I'd rather humanity get to a point where recognizing something like skin color is as unimportant or insignificant as hair color today.
And whether the cast is all black or all white, I'd hope people just see them as people. I think a lot of the ideas towards "representation" actually can be counter-productive- Moving people towards the idea that there is a difference that needs to be recognized and understood, when really it should just be a non-factor.

I personally don't identify with people on basis of color, nationality, or ethnicity. Instead it is on actions and values, and I hope other people reach that place too.

I don't think a white character represents me, and I don't think GameFreak needs to prove to us they know non-white people exist.

First of all I'm glad I waited for actual facts before talking about the cast. Secondly, I had to zoom in a lot to finally see what everyone was talking about. I'm so happy we are having a four group again. Not only does it make things less boring than it was before, but because there will be a smaller kid in the group meaning Ash won't be the main kid.

I also love that we are going back to main girls from the games again. I miss that. Hopefully she will do something goal wise instead of letting her pokemon rot. The same goes for Clemont too. I hope they give him something to do as well.

As far as Alexa goes, she is okay but she will be following the older path that Brock and Cilan was if she were to be in the cast. Plus, I like her so I'm glad she's not a companion(as far as we know). But with Bonnie it gives her an excuse to not be as active as an older character. But hopefully she will at least get one pokemon as well.

Dawn is a May clone, but Clemont is not a Brock/Cilan clone being a gym leader? We still don't know if Clemont will be a gym leader in XY anime, but SERIOUSLY!?!

I know you mean well. But I'd rather humanity get to a point where recognizing something like skin color is as unimportant or insignificant as hair color today.
And whether the cast is all black or all white, I'd hope people just see them as people. I think a lot of the ideas towards "representation" actually can be counter-productive- Moving people towards the idea that there is a difference that needs to be recognized and understood, when really it should just be a non-factor.

I personally don't identify with people on basis of color, nationality, or ethnicity. Instead it is on actions and values, and I hope other people reach that place too.

I don't think a white character represents me, and I don't think GameFreak needs to prove to us they know non-white people exist.
if they know non-white people exist then why ccan't they

you know

show them every once in a while

so everyone knows that we're not mythical unicorns.

it would be gggrrreeeat if skin color didn't matter like hair color doesn't really matter but guess what. It still does. And having a company that you admire showcase a character that you admire that may look like you actually has a lot of psychological benefits (for instance, when cosplay time comes, i was so freaking happy that paul is a short slightly tanned boy and i could maybe pass for that and accurately portray him. IT'S A GOOD FEELING).

regardless of who's gonna be on the cast, i'll probably end up liking SOMEONE regardless of what they look like, but the fact that theoretically, Serena is the same person regardless of skin tone and the fact that they defaulted to white (like expected, of course) just presents to me another missed opportunity for diverse inclusion.

that's all i have to say about this on this thread since i'm sure the mods are hounding on my back by now

Last edited:
What pokemon are on the poster?
So far I've seen the 3 starters, Spewpa, Vivillon, Sylveon, Goronda, Noivern, Malamar, Talonflame, Mega Blaziken, Mega Lucario (?)

Anyone got others? And should be believe these will be actual characters in the anime?

Edit: Bunnelby, Litleo

if they know non-white people don't exist then why ccan't they

you know

show them every once in a while

so everyone knows that we're not mythical unicorns.

it would be gggrrreeeat if skin color didn't matter like hair color doesn't really matter but guess what. It still does. And having a company that you admire showcase a character that you admire that may look like you actually has a lot of psychological benefits (for instance, when cosplay time comes, i was so freaking happy that paul is a short slightly tanned boy and i could maybe pass for that and accurately portray him. IT'S A GOOD FEELING).

regardless of who's gonna be on the cast, i'll probably end up liking SOMEONE regardless of what they look like, but the fact that theoretically, Serena is the same person regardless of skin tone and the fact that they defaulted to white (like expected, of course) just presents to me another missed opportunity for diverse inclusion.

that's all i have to say about this on this thread since i'm sure the mods are hounding on my back by now

One reason might be because it just wasn't a sincere thought process in character creation.

And I think most people are aware of ethnicities other then their own existing.

Regardless, I respect your opinions and I'm sympathetic, so I'll stop talking about it too.

Hopefully with a 4 man group we have no rival this time. I mean BW proved that they need to take a break between each series to have better rivals.

I wish there was a better picture of anime!bonnie. The only ones that seem to exist right now are a blurry sceencap and a blurry poster. I hope we can better picture of her later this week. I would sorta like this charater considering that I Loved max from ag.

As long as Bonnie isn't like Max and Serena isn't like May or Dawn (or Iris, for that matter), and is cool, I could feel this group here. Clemont looks interesting enough on his own. If Bonnie tags along, I just can't help worrying she'll just be a useless addition to the group. I would have preferred Ash travel with Shauna and Serena have been a good rival. But we'll just have to wait and see.

i am legitimately curious, if people want serena to be unlike dawn/may (who i do admit are very similar) AND unlike iris, what kind of character are you hoping for her to be? i am not being snarky and really want to know!

for example, i really loved iris. she was the first main lead female wearing clothes that one could bend over in without showing their butt; her outfit was very un-revealing overall. i loved that. i loved that she was a tomboy, and never once mentioned her hair or makeup or appearance. because of things like this i was really able to relate to her, something i've never felt for a female lead in the pokeanime before.

also, just remember, clemont and bonnie have yet to open their mouths even once, so don't automatically say bonnie will be a max (there is more than one kind of little kid in the world, and in pokeanime!). as for clemont, from what we know of him so far (nerdy looking inventor electric-type gym leader probably), we've never had someone like him on the main cast. maybe serena can be compared to dawn/may and bonnie to max, but who do we compare clemont to? based on the tiny bit of info we have on him, he will probably be a very unique and hopefully hilarious cast member.

my two cents. give them a chance!

also in a final note: japan is a little behind some countries when it comes to being racially sensitive. game freak does a good job lately including people of all different kinds, but they have probably nothing to do with the anime. in japan even white people are still a novelty (children do stare and point at me and their parents allow it, and i am right next to tokyo!) and most japanese consider the world to be made of "japanese and other". just do keep it in mind this show is made by a country under such circumstances! (note i am not trying to justify it or say it is A-OK, just putting another perspective on it that some might not have thought of)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom