• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Pokemon XY & Z Discussion

Uh... Just wondering but "Sawyer" is supposed to be Shouta's dub name? Wasn't that Scottie o_O I know this one sounds pretty silly and all, but I've seen people using it some time ago.

Scottie came from closed captioning.

Sawyer came from the direct dialogue of the characters.

The Greninja thing sounds really weird? So will Frogadier directly evolve into Greninjash or change into it sometime after evolution? My guess is the former. I hope they give it some more backstory and explanation...

Uh... Just wondering but "Sawyer" is supposed to be Shouta's dub name? Wasn't that Scottie o_O I know this one sounds pretty silly and all, but I've seen people using it some time ago.
He was given the name Scottie in XY064, but only through closed captions. He was never called Scottie in dialogue. Still a mystery why they went with Sawyer instead in subsequent appearances though.

Oh got it, thanks ^^ I don't watch the dub, that's why I was oblivious about this

Scottie came from closed captioning.

Sawyer came from the direct dialogue of the characters.

He was probably initially planned to be named Scottie but then they ended up changing it to Sawyer. Similar things happened before with Saori being named Samantha in summaries (I think) but ended up named Solidad. Also in the Japanese version Princess Salvia was initially named Iris in summaries, but when the ep aired was named Salvia, probably a last second change due to realizing the next gen girl will have that name.
But yeah, he's officially Sawyer.

So will Frogadier directly evolve into Greninjash or change into it sometime after evolution?

To my understanding: it'll evolve normally to the usual Greninja, and in critical times of need where its bond with Ash is at its peak, it'll temporary take the form of Ash-Greninja.
It really sounds a lot like mega evolution just... without really being mega evolution.

I'm more intrigued by the lack of Manon and Chespie in the poster while everyone is there, plus the lack of her in merchandise and the opening while Alain got alot of exposure and was in several pieces of merhcandise iirc.

I thinking that something happens to her in Act 4 when she is trying to help the blobs which is why we may not see her in the main anime, though it could be that Manon dies when the Zygarde release their power as seen in the trailer for Act 4, interesting.
God I bloody hope not. It was one thing to kill J...

Maybe that whole thing about Greninja changing into an Ash-colored form is a subsidiary of the Protean ability, assuming it had that ability all along.

Since its pretty much confirmed by now that Pokemon Z will be a thing, do you think we may see some roster changes to the gym leader line up? Will Ash face a different gym leader, over Wulfric, just as he did in BW with Roxie?

Let's hope not! :eek:

And if so, let's hope they actually PLAN the battle better instead of pulling a bad one from their rectums for promotional purposes.

While I hope Wulfric stays the final gym battle, if they must change it up, let it be less like the time Homika and more like the time with Juan.

Last edited:
Ash-Greninja confirmed to be some sort of form change due to a close bond.

tumblr_nuo9bhhnZq1r2iinvo1_540.png

See New Zygarde Formes in Animation News from Japan! | Pokemon.com

"Happened just once several hundred years ago..."
Maybe this explains the different color and flower Flabebe of AZ. Also it's age is 3000+. Probably there is a relation between. Feels like the anime series are going to be even more exciting.

I don't think it's like Mega Evolution in the way that Greninja/Ash can choose when they want to morph, the description makes it seem like it's a permanent change. In a game sense I could see this being exclusive to Kalos starters as their form of Mega Evolution, caused by having an ACTUAL bond with them. By this, I mean maximum happiness AND maximum affection on Pokemon Amie. How the morphing occurs might be that you get these conditions, win a battle and then it goes to the evolution screen, upon a level up (which wouldn't work for Level 100's that don't have max affection because the player forgot, which may be problematic), or even once you get the two requirements it's like when an Egg hatches, where the player stops, you get an "Oh?" at the bottom of the screen, then you go to the evolution screen. That's how I see it. I like the fact it's Ash that's showing it off, and that it's extremely rare, happening once several hundred years ago. Btw, given that it says hundred instead of thousand I don't think it's AZ and his Floette, to me it doesn't look the same as how Greninja is changing. Eternal Flower Floette looks pretty standard apart from colour and the flower, which don't really look like they come from AZ.

Also, I don't believe in there being a new Gym line-up in Pokemon Z. I don't see a point or even how they would change the region up. Unless they want to go all anime and make Clembot the Lumiose Gym leader. :/

Well, Mega Sceptile is Sawyer's and he's actually going to be in the Team Flare arc. It debunked my theory and I don't mind that at all.

Seeing how Greninja gets that red thing when using a move, I guess................................it's a forme change when it battles?

Still, TEAM FLARE!!!! Ash vs Alain! Rica Matsumoto singing the new OP! Mega Evolution Act IV! I'm hyped up for October!

OMG THAT TRAILER WAS BEAST!! I was super stoked when I realized a new opening would have to be on the way and from the sounds, I was not disappointed. I feel like the Zygarde fragment in bonnie's bag was aborable! When Alain just WALKED past Ash I screamed "NO! TALK TO HIM! DONT IGNORE HIM!!" at my computer xD

Ash-Greninja isn't a Mega Evolution because only one other Pokemon from a few centuries ago was able to obtain a similar transformation.

Celosia's main Pokemon appears to be Drapion, a species she used in the game. I think that the Bisharp belongs to Bryony because her game counterpart used one.

Last edited:
OMFG!!! the best Pokémon anime trailer I've ever seen, so awesome! <3 Team Flare, Alain, Greninjash! *.* are we sure it's confirmed M-Sceptile belongs to Sawyer, he's there with the gang but I don't think it's an outright confirmation it's his!?

And I guess that song belongs to the new opening, it sounds so hype-ish, way better and serious than Be an Arrow for the N/Plasma arc, thank God...

^ When it comes to Sawyer, nothing's outright confirmed the Sceptile is either his or Ash's. Although he's not on the main characters list so it'd be weird for the poster to feature his pokemon when he's not on there nor is he considered a main/highlighted character for the series (while The Flare Gang is and they're not even on the poster).

Too excited for Ash-Greninja though. It looked really awesome in that trailer and I'm guessing that's a new move? Unless Ash-Greninja can learn Aqua Jet, maybe it's Waterfall?

The Mega Sceptile could still be Ash's. For all we know Sawyer could only appear in one episode in the future and if that's the case, then I don't see why his supposed Mega Sceptile would be on the poster if he makes an appearance in one episode and for its Trainer to be nowhere on the poster for XY & Z. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if Mega Sceptile will be Sawyer's, because he does want to evolve his Grovyle into Sceptile and then Mega Evolve Sceptile. And it would be nice if Sawyer did battle against Team Flare along with Ash and co.

Where exactly Sawyer appears in the trailer? Because I watched it multiple times but I couldn't notice him. Neither on TV Tokyo's official website.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom