• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Yellow Unused Music - Its purpose?

John Understands

Somalian Anarchy Leader!
Reaction score
Back when Pocket Monsters Pikachu Edition was released in Japan, and in 1999 in the US as Pokémon Special Pikachu Edition, it proved to be a success, but less than Red, Blue, and Green.

However, people discovered this dummied out music:

[video=youtube;rbQUwiLJZ5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbQUwiLJZ5o[/video]

It was to be used when you (the PC) had no Pokémon, or Pocket Monsters, and whenever you tried to select "FIGHT, BAG," or "PKMN", it said, "Hurry! Get away!"

Now, again, this was dummied out, and this was not to be heard. No extra tracks added other than the intro and the surfing Pikachu game.

But if it actually made its way into the final releases, where would it have been used? When? Why?

EDIT: Since I didn't have much time to edit this before sleep, people thought it was to be used when you (the PC) had no usable Pokémon. I known this before making this post. Thanks TeraDyne.

Last edited:
Re: Pokémon Yellow Unused Music - It's purpose?

As people have said, it seems that it might have been used when the player was out of usable Pokémon, or separated from them in some way. It actually makes sense with the intensity of the theme itself, giving context to the severity of such a situation.

I believe Bulbapedia has also mentioned a theory that it's for a scene that's intended to imitate the scene with the Wild Spearow from the first episode of the Anime, where your Pikachu refused to obey you but was not necessarily unable to battle.

Since it "might" have been what most people think, could it have been a Giovanni battle theme, or encounter theme?

It seems like it would fit in well with any battle in which you are using your last available pokemon. Kind of like how when your health gets in the red it will change to the beeping, this sounds like it might play when you are down to your very last pokemon.

It seems like it would fit in well with any battle in which you are using your last available pokemon. Kind of like how when your health gets in the red it will change to the beeping, this sounds like it might play when you are down to your very last pokemon.

Actually, that might be something to stack on my theory of the Giovanni battle theme, maybe it was when you had your last Pokemon during the Giovanni battles.

The music sounds too slow for it to be a battle theme. It seems more likely to be an overworld theme.

The music sounds too slow for it to be a battle theme. It seems more likely to be an overworld theme.
Listening to it now, I'd say you're right.

After defeating the Elite 4 in Blue again, it sounds sort of like a remix of the Generation I Pokémon League (the theme that plays prior to Victory Road), so maybe they were considering putting the Orange Island League into the game and that wold be the music that played when you reached it?

If not that, maybe they were considering making Mew or Ho-Oh or some new legendary catchable in the game, but decided not to, and this would be the music that played when you found the cave or wherever they were located.

Or most logically, it was the music that played when you found Pikablu in Bill's Garden... or the music that plays when your started Pokémon evolves into a PokéGod.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom