• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon you didn't expect to like

I'm not laughing, far from it, I think you might be a genius :) I'll try Slowpoke out. I couldn't get past the stupid-lookingness of Slowpoke before, but Slowking is probably not something to be messed with...

It's true. He's become really helpful, especially since I can use Power Gem, Zen Headbutt, and Water Pulse with him. And he's shiny to boot!

Smogon University entry for Slowking (B/W version, but there are archived strategies for its other versions):

Slowking (B/W) - Smogon University

It's pretty useful in HGSS if you started with Cyndaquil

Wiggly Fucking tuff, plain, outdone by Clefable, not particularly good at anything, but heavens, it was fun to use it! mine knows an array of special moves making her have total coverage (IIRC).

Out of the Unova Pokemon, I didn't expect to like the Sandile line all that much, and I never really did until I caught N's Sandile in W2 (I tried training a different one once; only got it up to Krokorok before I was like "screw this"). Buuuuut Krookodile is a beast, and it's become one of my favorites.

Out of all the other Pokemon, hm. Slugma/Magcargo. Primarily because the thing is slow as hell (and I prefer using faster Pokemon), but I once ended up using it in a playthrough of SS, and like Krookodile, it turned into something made of sheer awesome.

To be honest, I've never really used a steel type before, but I was presently surprised by Ferrothorn. Seconded on Slowpoke, by the way.

Looking at the Gen 5 Pokemon, I overlooked Volcarona at first, but after seeing it among the top BW Pokemon, I revisited it, and it became my favorite Pokemon.

Conkeldurr. Frankly, I think its design (along with Gurdurr's) is terrible, but after putting a Timburr (which is adorable) on my team after finding out about its stats and potential and raising that Timburr to a Conkeldurr, I must say its become a staple on my team and a force to be reckoned with. It pretty much solo'd my friend's team, smashing everything he switched out.

Infernape - I was originally going to pick Piplup in Platinum because frankly I didn't like any of the starters...but then I remembered the trouble I had been through in previous games trying to get a fire-type so I picked that (only to find out you can get Ponyta pretty early on.. Oh well) It turned into a freaking beast! Cut to a few months later and suddenly for the first time since I discovered Missigno I had a level 100 Pokèmon; Daisuke the Infernape. Cleverly enough I taught him moves that could counter any of his weaknesses (unless its a Water/ground...). It taught me that not only was Chimchar now my favorite Gen IV starter, but it also taught me to appreciate the fighting type, since then the type has always had a spot in my party.

Siglyph, Galvantula, and Lucario. Haven't used them till gen 5, and now my team is pretty awesome. Siglyph was expected as I've kinda mastered Psychic flying Pokemon, all 2, Galvantula is an incredible speed demon, and Lucario is pretty damn versatile. Lucario is overrated sure, but that's why I'm finally using it, to see what all the fuss is about.

Ampharos. I'd look at it's Smogon stats and cast it aside, but now that I actually use it in White 2 I found out that that thing is a MONSTER. Seriously.

Also Conkeldurr. I just wanted a Fighting type for my White team, and it ended up being an extremely effective sweeper. I practically soloed Grimsley with this guy. And he was pretty underleveled for League standards.

I never thought I'd like Galvantula, and when I tried my cousin's, I decided to train one myself.

I had the egg in Pokemon White. I was expecting some totally badass pokemon (in other words, I was hoping for Zorua), and it hatched right before the final gym battle. In my head, I was screaming "ZORUA! PLEEEEEAAAASE BE A ZORUA!" Then I saw that I got Larvesta instead. Shocked and dissapointed, I named it WTF. I considered putting her in the box, but since I was technically her mother, I forced myself to raise her. I decided that I might as well give her a better name, so I called her Rin.

Before I knew it, she had become my favorite pokemon in my team.

A prominant Pokemon that I can think of for this thread is Excadrill. At first, I was neutral on it in general, but when I kept losing to it in wi-fi battles, I grew to dislike it. One day, I decided to train my Excadrill to give the species a chance. When I found Excadrill to be useful, I got to like it for its appearance and abilities. In fact, it happens to be one of my favorite ground-types as of now (along with Krookodile and Groudon).

All of my favorite pokemon, I disliked them at first. (Except the 'eons)
Magmar, Jynx, Electabuzz, Croagunk/Toxicroak. Hated.
Magmar for its butthead. Electabuzz for it's unibrow thing. Jynx for her boobs and no-neck. Toxicroak's cry is kinda annoying. (and startled me the first time I heard it. XD)

I got to like Magmar, Electabuzz, and Jynx because I got a Magby, Elekid, and Smoochum from my Pokewalker courses and decided to train them. (Finally.) They overtook my team, and I even ditched my Quilava and a few other favored (at the time) pokes.

Toxicroak, I wanted to make a costume/outfit based on an unusual pokemon, and designed an awesome dress outta Toxicroak. Looked into it, played it, and fell in love. <3

There are a few actually, I just gave them a chance and they proved pretty cool :)

Mr. Mime, Lapras, Primeape, Umbreon, Claydol, Skarmory, Ludicolo, Slaking, Scolipede

There we go ! :D

After I got mad from all the hax in the Battle Subway, I went and trained a Gible to a Garchomp - and LOL, it was awesome. I had never used one before, and it was the first time I ever saw its usefulness.

Most of the Gen V Pokémon that now occupy my top ten favourite Pokémon list. Dwebble / Crustle, Joltik / Galvantula, Ferroseed / Ferrothorn, Frillish / Jellicent. I didn't expect to like any of them that much, but now I absolutely love them and all four of them are on my current team in White 2 (and I pretty much can't have a team without Crustle and Galvantula any more).

CompoundEyes Galvantula with Thunder / Bug Buzz / Energy Ball / Thunder Wave is always one of the hardest hitters on any team I have.

I actually find myself hoping that X&Y's selection of Bug / Rock / Electric Pokémon isn't too great so I can have Crustle and Galvantula on my team there too. :p

Last edited:
I used to dislike Electivire, but then I saw it in the anime, and now my EV trained one is very fun to use.

I also hated Hydreigon at first since it is uglier than the previous pseudo legendaries, also I'm not particuarly keen on creatures with more than one head. However I realised it had by far the best cry in the game, and Ghetsis' made all of them seem so much more fearsome and awesome.

Durant and Volcarona are some of those from Gen V.

I originally hated Volcarona and thought it was overrated, its OU status seemed stupid to me at the time because of that fatal double Rock weakness. I later tried it out in competitive battles and once it OHKO'ed a fucking Salamence with Bug Buzz after a few Quiver Dances, I knew that I had been partially wrong. I did eventually stop using it because I didn't have time or room for a dedicated spinner though.

I was a Scizor fan when Durant came out so I originally didn't pay it much attention but once I saw that it was in a higher tier than Heatmor, I had a good laugh about it. I then decided to try it out and it exceeded my expectations stunningly, serving as a surprise stop to stuff like Charizard and even Reshiram. It even took out a couple of Heatran with a bit of luck with Stone Edge. I then used it in White 2 and it didn't dissapoint, beating both Ghetsis's and Iris's Hydreigon in one shot.

Outside of Gen V, some new favorites are Electivire and Dragonite. The Shiny Dratini I got from beating the White Treehollow had an Adamant nature and Perfect Attack and Speed IVs and Electivire's coverage has left me very surprised. I'll be using them both for Gen VI.

Fearow, because it looked ugly to me. Now it's one of my favorite bird pokemon. I used to think Gigalith was stupid, but after watching the episode where it had a splinter, I think it's cute now.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom