• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon you didn't expect to like

Musharna! I thought its evolutionary line was ridiculously creepy but ended up really taking a liking to it for some reason... maybe my friend loving it was one of the causes, I don't know. Now I even have an EV trained one on my team. <3;

Gyarados.
And then, it turned to be my favourite water type.
Also Togetic, Kyogre, Golbat, Sigilyph and probably many others.

I actually have two. Umbreon and Braviary.

Before I was just meh at the eeveelutions, and Jolteon and Espeon were my favorites. Then one fateful night I was training one of my two eevees on Platinum and after the battle it began evolving. Umbreon, I was disappointed to find, had pretty bad attack stats, and for a while it just stayed in my box, until recently, I just found it more appealing and began training it. Weird how that worked out.

As for Braviary, a friend of mine wanted a Zorua, and when I traded him one he gave me a Rufflett. I HATED rufflett before that, but after seeing Braviary in battle I decided it might be worth the effort to try to train one. Now in Black its one of my most powerful. The funny thing is a year before that my brother had traded me a rufflett nicknamed, 'Ruffles', and its still sitting in my box.

Ambipom

When I first saw it, I figured it was just going to be a useless evolution, and be more for comedy than anything else. But I ended up training one, and I have to say I instantly loved it.

Got two more: Druddigon and Reuniclus.

I used to be bitter towards these two species due to their appearance, but I tried training a DW Duosion (now a Reuniclus) and a Sheer Force Druddigon, and boy are these ladies awesome. Especially with a Life Orb for the latter... The former is more of a scout, though: she's given an Eject Button when I use her for PWT and similar situations, though she is given attack moves.

Corsola surprised me in HG. I always thought it was one of those "cute but useless" types like Pachirisu. You know, the ones you can't even use reliably in-game.
Then I actually caught one. Holy hell, this thing is like Satan. No, Ultra Satan. Maybe I just got a really good one, I don't know.

Of course, just sending it out makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. IT'S SO CUTE.

I thought Sigilyph had one of the most ridiculous designs and I hated the way it looked.

But then when I caught one and started training it and found out it's actually pretty good. Now it's one of my Gen V faves.

My Jumpluff on SS: Sleep powder, Leech seed and U-turn to switch to another Pokemon or Giga drain to recover health and you've got a Pokemon who can be DEADLY (as long as my foe doesn't outspeed me.) To think I thought of using the Bellsprout line! Also when I was training a Scolopeide to breed Megahorn onto my Escavalier I found that it was actually quite good.

Last edited:
Like a bunch of others here, Sigilyph for me, and just now, really. I started a new game of White 2 and decided instead of a starter I'd just use whatever the first Pokemon the Dream Radar spat out at me. I was thinking it'd be Swablu or Munna or Riolu, but, instead, Sigilyph popped out, for the first time.

She's plowed through the first three gyms pretty much on her own. Unfortunately, that may end with Elesa.

When I was a kid I always dismissed Magikarp as a useless Pokemon but, Gyarados is worth all the adversity. I also really like Zubat and Tentacool because of how useful their evolutions are. Finally, I was also surprised by how much I liked Togekiss.

I didn't expect to like Pansage and Azumarill which I used in White 2 and Black 2 respectively but they were very useful in my parties until I reached Opelucid City Gym when I replaced them with Virizion and Starmie respectively for STAB Fighting and Psychic moves.

Watchog. I have to admit, the Patrat line is my least favorite of the rodents. And unlike others, I've never used one one any of my teams (or at least, not for very long). But I recently caught a Watchog in White and it's awesome for catching! I haven't deposited her since. I may need to pick one up in Black 2.

Flareon. Umbreon was my favorite Eeveelution until I started FireRed, and then it just sorta hit me that Flareon was awesome.

Conkeldurr no doubt. When I saw Conky for the first time, I was like "awful design". After using him both competitively and ingame, I've warmed upto him. Now, I also think of him as the old captain of the team, with loads of experience and ability but no speed, like in football, so I appreciate his design as well now.

Togekiss, Camerupt and ambipom. I never used them except to complete the dex, but, to my surprise, these three were surprisingly useful!

Unfezant. I was so-so on the design, I thought it looked a little weird, and I also felt a little put off using one since it didn't learn Brave Bird or any of the like, but it's actually really good in-game. It was my least favourite regional bird, but not anymore (it's not my favourite, but it's certainly moved up the rankings). I have one on my current White 2 team and I can't believe I ignored it all this time. Sure it's not amazing, but it's still pretty good. (Also female design > male imo.)

Emboar--I didn't really like getting another Fire/Fighting type to the point where I didn't even choose one until Black 2. Though, when I did raise it, it was actually better than I thought. It's still my least favorite out of the Fire/Fighting starters, but it can learn a few good moves and can be quite useful in battle.

Volcarona--I liked its design, but I generally didn't like Bug types prior to raising one. There weren't a lot of Bug types that appealed to me. I decided to give it a shot in White and I'm so glad that I did. It was so strong, especially after using Quiver Dance, and it made me more interested in raising Bug types for future teams.

Eeelektross--Again, I kind of liked its design, but being so slow was a bit of a turnoff. I have one in my White 2 team and the new moves it can learn make it so useful, especially Drain Punch while holding Leftovers.

Togekiss--I never really thought much of Togekiss prior to raising one in Platinum. It just improves on Togetic so much and it's one of my best Pokemon on that team.

Larvesta.

Why Larvesta you ask? Well for starters when I first got into Pokemon and got my first game, I hardly even knew stats existed until I got Black 2. So I didn't like it because it's evolution, Volcarona, has the highest base stat (I know Genesect is stronger, but I'm talking about non-legendaries) out of all Bug-Type Pokemon. Anyway, when I first got the egg in my White version, I had absolutely no idea what was going to be inside it (mostly because I wanted it to stay a surprise and I was too lazy to look it up). Because I was/am obsessed with Zoroark, I was praying that it would be a Zorua.

Then came the possibly most awkward final gym battle ever. I still had the egg in my party and I was just going through the Dragon Gym beating the trainers to reach Iris. Finally, I was only one step away from her, then all of the sudden, a text box appeared on the screen saying: "Oh?" . I'm all like "WHAAAT?! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M BUSY!?" So I clicked the A button, and I was taken to the screen that would show the egg hatching. That was when I had a heart attack, and the whole time during the long hatching animation, I was shouting "ZORUA!"

And then out came some weird fire bug thing with horns, I was extremely disappointed. I had no idea what the hell it was since I've never seen it in the wild and no one in the game has ever mentioned it, so I named my female Larvesta "WTF". I gave it my Exp. Share before the battle with Iris, and she leveled up insanely after the other Pokemon fainted. So after that, I even considered abandoning WTF in my box because of how disappointed I was. But then, I decided to give her a chance at life, since I did go through all the trouble of walking around with her egg. I started using her in battles against weaker Pokemon, and I eventually saw that her weird appearance looks kind of cute if you stare at her long enough. I decided to be a little nicer to her, so I went to the name rater and changed her name from WTF to Rin (like the cute child character from Inuyasha). After that I slowly leveled up Rin and got more comfortable with her. I didn't realize how much I actually loved her until I got into a really tough battle and I was using her in a battle, then the other Pokemon knocked her out in one hit. That was when I thought, "You monster! She was only a child!" Then I sent out my Samurott to serve Justice and Vengeance for my fainted Larvesta. Months later, Rin finally evolved and I was extremely proud (Volcarona is beautiful and badass). So now, if I get a Larvesta in Pokemon X, I'll definitely name her Rin II.

Good lord, I get sentimental over my Pokemon...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom