• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you didn't think you would use

Didn't think I'd use Tyranitar, Stoutland, Throh, and Darmanitan. Not that I dislike any of them :D. However, I never plan my teams, it just turns out the way it does.

I wasn't even planning to use Ferroseed, but for some reason I picked it up anyway. And it became a permanent party member. Also, I don't usually use single stage families, but I had a Sawk in my party for a long time.

I never really thought I'd use Venipede or Audino, but after those two proved to be amazing I kept them on my in-game team (Venipede morso than Audino).

Oh, and Lilipup and it's evolutions are simply the amazing.

Patrat and Watchog. Since Gen V is all about the hype of reboots, ne wbeginnings and such I promised myself to play the game like the very first time I played. No HM slaves, no grinding (I barely grind anyway, hate it), no siriuz bizniz stuff. And since a Patrat was the first Pokémon I caught, well, I'm gonna make it a top-percentage Patrat.

^ I think they averted the HM slave problem rather well, actually. Because
the Cut tree in the Dreamyard is pretty much the only obstacle that you need to get rid of to progress in the game.
And yet, a good percentage of people are running around with a virtually useless HM slave.

I never thought id be using a Jellicent, because i was aiming on just using my seismitoad..then i got this kickass frillish that ate gurdurrs (lv25s) for breakfast,at level 11..so he's stuck on me

Timburr. I've never been that big on Fighting types, but when I saw this little guy's sprite animation and the way he casually tosses and catches his plank of wood (not to mention that sinister little grin of his) I fell head-over-heels in love with him. I snagged him, looked him up on Bulbapedia, and the suggestion that he might be based upon a carnie made it a done deal. :3

Wow I was surprised to see as many mentions of Stoutland as there have been in this thread. I just predicted that I'd have him in the team near the start then replace him at some point but as the game's gone on he's proven to be pretty damn useful and strong back up in my team.

I must be one of the few who do not see the appeal in Stoutland. Lillipup is a beast, but I just don't like it. Herdier and Stoutland are ugly to me as well.

I did use a Lillipup against the first and second gym, but after I beat Lenora and saw the better Pokemon available I boxed it without a second thought. I didn't even let it evolve to Herdier.

Purrloin for me. I was planning on having either Zoroark or Mandibuzz as my Dark-type, but Purrloin won me over.

Simipour has won me over since it took out the dragon gym all by itself. Putting blizzard and an expert belt on it makes it a solidified dragon slayer.

When I first saw Emolga I was like "ew... another pikachu clone". But it annihilated the Dragon gym + E4 + N by itself, without losing one single HP.

Unfezant. I was planning on using Braviary instead, but I fell in love with that special birdie, Isane.

She brings back good memories of my Fearow from Red.

Unfezant. I caught Pidove very early in the game, but until around the 8th Gym, all I used it for was using HM Fly to get around Unova. The reason? Unfezant is simply inferior to Staraptor from lack of close combat and not so great stats (Only slightly higher than Pidgeot's stats, but I'd use Pidgeot any day on games that have it in the regional dex because of nostalgia). Then I started to train it to Unfezant really quickly where the new Exp System got it up to everyone else's level really quickly. Even with only Normal and Flying type moves for attacks, it did a better job than I thought it would, even having the honor of finishing off Ghetsis's Hydreigon with Quick Attack.

And besides, the thing had a Serious Nature anyways. Not really surprising though, since almost EVERY. SINGLE. TIME, whatever the regional bird I get is, it almost always has a neutral nature like that (Pidgeot has Quirky, Hoothoot has Bashful, Swellow having Quirky, both my Diamond AND Platinum Staraptors have Serious).

My tranquill and pidove is really rubbish most wild pokemon can knock it out in 2 hits, and it has rubbish attack to.

My biggest surprise was Sawk, had no intention of using it, but i saw its power on my team and so i caught it and used it against Lenora. Same with Gigalith, didnt plan to use him but I did against Elesa. Biggest surprise is Pansage though.

Excadrill is a complete monster. No one uses him because Drillbur is burried deep away in caves, and Sandile comes in around the same time. But Excadrill's raw attack power and powerful STAB (Dig and Earthquake) proved his worth as my MVP.

ok I would just like to say that Emolga is becoming an MVP on my team. Never thought about using it, but mine has perfect Sp. Att. & Speed IVs & is killing everything in it's path. I don't even have to use thunder wave to increase electro ball's power, it's speed is there for a reason :D & it's 110 base power acrobatics is just as good. & it can scout so easily with volt change. I'm really considering using it over Galvantula in my final team

Some surprises:

SIGILYPH
such a beast, love love love it. did not expect to. was initially just going to be a temporary member, now it's permanent

jellicent as well. again, didn't think I'd keep it, I ended up doing just that.

Zebstrika-Excellent scout and has a good movepool to cover weak spots and good speed for scouting.

Serperior-Ungodly staller while I crank up his stats. Lots of abuse of Leech Seed.

Sawk-Reminds me of Hitmonlee so instant popularity with me lol.

I had absolutely no plan to use the Timburr family bet he's become my go-to for physical owning. After stumbling across a Venopede I decided to try him for an open spot. Soon enough I discovered his amazingness.

Well I didn't originally like Deino and its evolutions, but when I found one in Victory Road I realized it was adorable and caught it.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom