• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you didn't think you would use

Lilligant, if only because of an extremely limited movepool. Tried it, haven't looked back. Quiver Dance + Giga Drain + Sleep Powder (not in that order) = victory.

Cofagrigus. Took down Marshall alone. Toxic, Protect, Shadow Ball, heal items. Rinse and repeat.

Crustle. Something about Stealth Rock... also, Ferrothorn for the same reason.

And as of today, Durant. Combine with Chandelure on the Subway for great fun.

This generation has some very underrated mons indeed.

Last edited:
Never thought I'd use a Herdier/Lillipup. But that little fudger Samson blasted his way through the first four gyms. I boxed him cuz he was making it too easy.:dizzy:

Galvantula... I had already planned out a team from the beginning, but because I found a shiny Joltik, I just HAD to keep it in my team :D

I knew Snivy was rather poor and picked it because it was smug, but I didn't think it was so bad I would wind up replacing it by the 5th gym. I wound up getting an Oshawott I got off the GTS (Put up a random Snivy baby for a female Oshawott, went to sleep, and got one), breeding that with a friend's Zorua and getting a nifty Night Slash Samurott, which has served me well.

Jellicent. Use it against a Fighting-type and they're forced to use other damaging moves. Now imagine those attacks are disabled because of Cursed Body....they're totally helpless. >:)

Though I admit I don't like Jellicent's design all that much (male or female) but female Frillish is pretty cute.

Last edited:
I decided to use slower, bulkier Pokemon like Yamask and Boldore. Yamask's piss-poor attack helped to defeat N's Scraggy when it used Swaggar. And Boldore's has the highest level on the teach.

Keeping to a planned out team in the games never seem to work for me anyway.
Only Garbodor got on my first run. :eh:

Oh boy, where to begin?

Stoutland- Granted, it wasn't the best of my White team, but I thought Lillipup would be boxed early on. She turned out to be pretty handy.

Seismitoad- Tympole was pretty weak when I caught it, and I thought it would be replaced by Ducklett/Swanna eventually. By the time I got a Ducklett, Palpitoad was one of my strongest Pokemon.

Lilligant- When I first started White, I expected Simisage to be my Grass type. I ended up boxing Pansage early on. Then, I thought I'd use Sawsbuck. I initially caught Petilil as a temporary replacement for Pansage. At first, it was fairly weak. After a while, I discovered that Leech Seed helped me a bit. Then I evolved it... And it became arguably my best team member on White aside from Zekrom. Own Tempo? Quiver Dance? Petal Dance? I'm there.

Musharna- I expected Beheeyem to be my Psychic type, but I ended up with Munna early on. She was so useful, I just boxed Elgyem when I caught it. Hypnosis was awesome for catching Pokemon.

Scraggy (soon Scrafty)- I'm playing Black now, and this guy alone could probably beat the game. I passed him up on White, but on Black he's a versatile powerhouse. Helps that he happens to be good against Psychic (Caitlin gave me the toughest time on White) and Dark (a certain spoilerific character's partially-Dark-type Pokemon was a pain).

Cinccino- I expected it to be cute but weak, but Tail Slap has ended battles for me without breaking a sweat. Cinccino is probably my favorite fifth generation Pokemon now.

Escavalier- I didn't really care for this guy at first, but then I used him on Black and he turned out to be amazing, at least for me. Partial-Steel-type has made him great to send out against a good chunk of Pokemon, and his attacking seems pretty strong too.

I never expected to have Simisage in my final party. After the third Gym, I decided to drop Patrat and Lillipup, and I knew that I'd drop Pansage as soon as I found an adequate replacement. Then Pansage learned Seed Bomb and evolved, and suddenly he was a powerhouse on my team! He's still on my team now, well after the Elite Four.

Lilligant. My original plan was to use Maractus as my Grass-type in White, but when I ran into a Petilil in Pinwheel Forest, I thought to myself, "eh, why not?" I caught it, and it had Own Tempo. And it is AWESOME! Quiver Dance, and Own Tempo+Petal Dance is epic PWNage in its purest form!

With a mustache- on my 1,000th post!

I wasn't planning on keeping Snivy/Serperior on my team, and even though it was a pain, it helped me a lot in the end with its bulk :) 1st grass type i've had on a team ever FTW :D

I wasn't planning on getting a Munna, but it ended up being pretty useful. Now it is a Musharna and a vital member of my team. ^_^

I never reckoned I'd ever use Sandile. But, it ended up being my "alternate Starter", as I didn't use a starter this time. Bam, Lv 100 Krookodile. Love it now.

I decided to use Deino as my starter (trading my starter for it after defeating Cress.) I knew he'd be at his first stage until near the end, and I didn't expect him to be useful. BAM! He one-shotted Drayden's Fraxure and Haxorus. He didn't take any damage in that battle.

In my emerald game, didn't expect to use Whiscash. ended up using it.

Never did I think I would use Rampardos on my Platinum. Little bomb kills everything.
And Gastrodon. Gaaaasssssttttrrrroooooddddoooonnnnn.

In Black and White,Idk cause I never played teh game,but will soon but in HG I would say Spianrak,its night shade+Return combo can destroy some enemies /\ _ /\

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom