• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you didn't think you would use

Pokestar

Reaction score
Are there any pokemon in your party that you love, but weren't originally going to use/didn't like? I liked lilipup, but not it's evolutions. I caught one on route 1 however because I was going to use one in the beginning until I found other pokemon. Now however, I have a stoutland and it's not going to get replaced.

Sawk. I wouldn't have given it a second glance if not for it demolishing my team as I tried to catch it. Foot Glove turned out to be very useful.

Stoutland. I just wanted to use it as Herdier looks awesome, but I never expected it to be good.

Unfezant. I was planning on using Braviary instead, but I fell in love with that special birdie, Isane.

She brings back good memories of my Fearow from Red.

Sawk and Tymphole were actually very useful at around the beginning gyms of the game. As Ryu Shoji previously mentioned, Sawk is extremely powerful. I caught one in the dark grass so he already had a higher level than the average pokemon in the area (LV 17 as opposed to LV 12-14). And, by using Sawk, I completely decimated all of Lerona's pokemon as well as all of the pokemon in the gyms.

Sawk has a lot of powerful Fighting-type moves at the start, such as Leg Sweep that deal a lot of damage.

Other pokemon I felt were useful but never expected to use were Meinfoo (which had already evolved into a Meinshao), Watchog (it has a lot of decent support moves), and Durant for the Elite Four.

Therefore, I would recommend that anyone would at least catch a Throh or a Sawk (not a Timburr, as you can catch plenty of those and their evolved form later on in caves) as the Fighting-type. Sawk has slightly less Attack than Throh, but makes up for it in Speed. Throh, on the other hand, has high HP, Defenses, and a respectable ATK.

Same goes for Durant, especially since the Victory Road is the last step to the Elite 4. Durant learns a LOT of type coverage moves such as Crunch, X-Scissor, and Iron Head. And because it has high ATK and Speed, it wasn't surprising that my Durant was able to completely sweep Caitlin's team. Also don't forget the normal benefits that would befit a Steel-type.

Sawk, Throh, Durant, and Watchog are some of my favorite "underdogs" this gen.

And for the sake of it, I might as well level up my Klink as well.

Unfezant. I caught Pidove very early in the game, but until around the 8th Gym, all I used it for was using HM Fly to get around Unova. The reason? Unfezant is simply inferior to Staraptor from lack of close combat and not so great stats (Only slightly higher than Pidgeot's stats, but I'd use Pidgeot any day on games that have it in the regional dex because of nostalgia). Then I started to train it to Unfezant really quickly where the new Exp System got it up to everyone else's level really quickly. Even with only Normal and Flying type moves for attacks, it did a better job than I thought it would, even having the honor of finishing off Ghetsis's Hydreigon with Quick Attack.

And besides, the thing had a Serious Nature anyways. Not really surprising though, since almost EVERY. SINGLE. TIME, whatever the regional bird I get is, it almost always has a neutral nature like that (Pidgeot has Quirky, Hoothoot has Bashful, Swellow having Quirky, both my Diamond AND Platinum Staraptors have Serious).

Last edited:
Archeops. I originally just wanted a cool looking Flyer, but damn, he practically became the VIP of my team. You get Acrobatics 3 levels after Archen is revived from a fossil. It has 55 base power, which is doubled to 110 if it's not holding a held item, Archeops' insane 140 base attack, a good amount of PP (15), AND getting STAB off of it pretty much finished off everything in-game. Its speed is pretty good, so it outspeeds and finishes off most things before something can hit it to activate Defeatist. Its moveset was too precious for me to even use Fly on it. xD

I wanted to like Throh or Sawk, but whenever I look at them I can't help but think Bert and Ernie in a kung-fu costume.

Therefore, I would recommend that anyone would at least catch a Throh or a Sawk (not a Timburr, as you can catch plenty of those and their evolved form later on in caves) as the Fighting-type. Sawk has slightly less Attack than Throh, but makes up for it in Speed. Throh, on the other hand, has high HP, Defenses, and a respectable ATK.

I don't know what game you're playing bud, but Sawk has more attack than Throh. Timburr is not a bad choice either. It evolves at level 25 and it can take on Arti's gym with ease. Timburr resists bug attacks and can take the whole gym out with rock throw. You can also evolve Gurdurr IMMEDIATELY.

By the fourth Gym you have an absolute monster with base 140 attack, 105 HP and 95 defense. Conkeldurr>Sawk

I didn't think I would like the Timburr line but after he beat the 2nd gym leader after she wiped out my other pokemon he became a permanent member of my team.

I don't know what game you're playing bud, but Sawk has more attack than Throh. Timburr is not a bad choice either. It evolves at level 25 and it can take on Arti's gym with ease. Timburr resists bug attacks and can take the whole gym out with rock throw. You can also evolve Gurdurr IMMEDIATELY.

By the fourth Gym you have an absolute monster with base 140 attack, 105 HP and 95 defense. Conkeldurr>Sawk
I think that Timburr/Gurdurr get good at ~level 31/33, at least if they have Sheer Force. Timburr needs to hit 20 at least to get good STAB and decent coverage (Low Kick probably having few heavy targets at early levels). Sawk's Low Sweep is a great move and comes @ level 17. Sawk's base 125 attack @ whatever gym/level is a doozy--with Sturdy and a speed-decreasing move as well, Sawk can reliably get one more hit than the opposing pokemon, and can also let loose a stingy Counter.

Regardless, Sawk is a good pokemon throughout the game. Sawk's higher Sp. Def and Speed are decent perks, and there are a few other good reasons to use it over Conkeldurr.
Archeops. I originally just wanted a cool looking Flyer, but damn, he practically became the VIP of my team. You get Acrobatics 3 levels after Archen is revived from a fossil. It has 55 base power, which is doubled to 110 if it's not holding a held item, Archeops' insane 140 base attack, a good amount of PP (15), AND getting STAB off of it pretty much finished off everything in-game. Its speed is pretty good, so it outspeeds and finishes off most things before something can hit it to activate Defeatist. Its moveset was too precious for me to even use Fly on it. xD
Its U-Turn also generally goes great with its ability, at least ingame. But Archeops is a powerhouse. You don't get points for discovering its use.

Last edited:
-the Lillipup line for sure. From start to Route 4, the dog murdered everything!
-Sawk. initially shrugged off Throh & Sawk, but when I looked at Sawk's stats, I figured, why not since I can't get Scraggy yet. Godly 'mon ._.
-Emolga. Just like Pachirisu, it requires skill to use. this thing is insane. Acrobatics w/o a item does insane damage, & you can troll the AI so bad with the Thunder Wave + Elec Ball Combo (plus mine has a +Speed nature, so it's beyond overkill :D )
-Minncino. Technician Tail Slap is just wow. once it evolves & relearns Rock Blast, Bullet Seed, & Wake-Up Slap, this thing will pwn in ways unknown

Emolga's Encore can allow for perfect set-up, especially if you have a Lum Berry handy. Substitute/Paralysis combo also works great once an opponent is locked into a move.

Cincinno's Tail Swap is surely a doozy, but I'm not too impressed with its coverage.

I think that Timburr/Gurdurr get good at ~level 31/33, at least if they have Sheer Force. Timburr needs to hit 20 at least to get good STAB and decent coverage (Low Kick probably having few heavy targets at early levels). Sawk's Low Sweep is a great move and comes @ level 17. Sawk's base 125 attack @ whatever gym/level is a doozy--with Sturdy and a speed-decreasing move as well, Sawk can reliably get one more hit than the opposing pokemon, and can also let loose a stingy Counter.

Regardless, Sawk is a good pokemon throughout the game. Sawk's higher Sp. Def and Speed are decent perks, and there are a few other good reasons to use it over Conkeldurr.Its U-Turn also generally goes great with its ability, at least ingame. But Archeops is a powerhouse. You don't get points for discovering its use.

Sawk is very good, I won't deny that, but I think Conkeldurr is better in the long run. IMO Guts is better than sheer force. You'll find yourself with a status ailment alot in the game, it can really help turn the tide after you get one. Sturdy and being faster is definitely a plus. Sturdy is one of the best abilities this gen acting as an automatic focus sash. I also agree Sturdy+Counter is a beastly combination against Pokemon that will knock you out in one hit.

I just wanted to make a point that Timburr is not worthless. If you have Wifi trade evolutions are not a problem anymore.

I caught a Lillipup early on my game, he was my first Unova Pokémon, but before the first gym, I put him on the PC.
Before going against Aloe, I take him out and put him on my team and I went against her. My Lillipup beated the crap out of Aloe's Watchog with Take Down. Then, he evolved.

Now he's a part of my main team :D

Lilpup definitely seems to be the ensemble darkhorse of the first fourth of the game. It's sad it didn't get the focus it deserves in the anime by retaining it in Cilan's arsenal.

I caught a Lillipup early on my game, he was my first Unova Pokémon, but before the first gym, I put him on the PC.
Before going against Aloe, I take him out and put him on my team and I went against her. My Lillipup beated the crap out of Aloe's Watchog with Take Down. Then, he evolved.

Now he's a part of my main team :D

Seriously, Lillipup is an absolute beast. Give him a chance to set up with Work Up, and nothing stands in his way.

Seriously, Lillipup is an absolute beast. Give him a chance to set up with Work Up, and nothing stands in his way.

I love double work upping and then destroying everything with full happiness stab return.

Lillipup and his line are amazing, thought i must admit i was planning on using them.

Didn't think i'd end up using Blitzle, i love having the fire move that ups speed. its fairly amazing.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom