• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you didn't think you would use

For me, it was Scraggy. Originally, I wasn't too fond of it. Well, to be exact, I wasn't too fond of its evolved form. Scraggy itself was so-so to me. It was mostly it's design that struck me as odd: punk lizard. However, it started to grow on me once I saw Ash get one (and seeing how funny his was). Then, while researching for a 6th member in my team-to-be in White (before it came out in the states), I just happened to check Scrafty's move pool and stuff, mostly out of curiosity. When I noticed its amazing Defense and Special Defense, and its pretty impressive move pool and TM/HM lists, I realized that this guy was my last member. Since then, I love it. His impressive defensive stats helped get me out of a few jams, making him the second tank on my team, not to mention pretty good Attack to give him great striking power. He was definitely a keeper.

I never thought about using a non-starter until Lillipup. Also, I once planned not to evolve my Lillipup, but now I have a Stoutland.

I never planned to use Whimsicott or Sawk, but they ended being pretty important members of my team; the former's great for incapacitating opponents quickly, while the latter's a great physical sweeper.

To be honest, I never thought I'd want to use Vaniluxe. When I first saw him, I felt he was just to ridiculous-looking to even be called a Pokemon.

But then I saw how N destroyed half my team with his Vaniluxe using Blizzard.

Let's just say that I'm going to use it on my current play-through.

I caught a Lillipup and never thought i would use it. Then i was trying to beat the gym leader, and it was my only Pokemon left, and i killed his Pansear with it. It gained about 4 levels, and i just started using it since it was leveled up equal with my Snivy and Panpour.

sewaddle, lillipup,vanilish, and throh. basically, everything except my starter and excadrill, i didn't have planned

Vullaby/Mandibuzz. After seeing the positive feedback from those that've used this family, I decided to give em a shot since I wanted another bulky 'mon. Glad I made her part of my team; takes hits like nobody's business & can sweep after a nasty plot or two.

Buffoulant. I kept fighting these bastards, & they wouldn't die to anything cept Scrafty's hi jump kick, & would do considerable damage to my also insanely bulky Scrafty. I had to try it out. Wow, despite its low speed, this thing is a monster.

I caught a Timburr and realized I didn't want to train it up. It was level 45 when I realized and I ended up just releasing it. Total waste of time, and the worst part is that I forgot to take the Amulet Coin it was holding off it before it was released :,(

Vullaby. I'm training one for my team now after seeing how well it did when the other guy in the multi battle subway thing used a Mandibuzz. It totally kicked ass while my Leavanny got trashed, since I'd just picked random pokemon from my box to test the subway. xP

Crustle! I never planned on using it but I caught an Adamant Sturdy one so I just trained it up. It's a definite hard hitter with great coverage in the storyline and I've been impressed with its performance.

Virizion

I've never been a fan of grass or fighting types really, and Virizion is not only grass and fighting but also rather defensive for my tastes.

But she (totally a she) is just so useful with Giga-Drain and Sacred Sword and pretty decent speed and actually has my favourite design out of the musketeer trio. I really wanted a reason to use Terrakion for his extra attack strength but without Virizion my team loses some pretty vital coverage.

And Volcarona. I used it for a bit of heavy fire support on my Elite Four challenge and fell in love with Quiver Dance. Previously I had just been using it as my incubator/flymon-in-one (soooo convenient).

Virizion

I've never been a fan of grass or fighting types really, and Virizion is not only grass and fighting but also rather defensive for my tastes.

But she (totally a she) is just so useful with Giga-Drain and Sacred Sword and pretty decent speed and actually has my favourite design out of the musketeer trio. I really wanted a reason to use Terrakion for his extra attack strength but without Virizion my team loses some pretty vital coverage.

And Volcarona. I used it for a bit of heavy fire support on my Elite Four challenge and fell in love with Quiver Dance. Previously I had just been using it as my incubator/flymon-in-one (soooo convenient).

Tottaly a Devilish He-girl Warrior actually! i think its even more graceful to think of such an amazing Pokémon like that.

Chandelure. At first I caught Litwick because its cute, but then I looked at its moves and it already had an awesome moveset, I love the will o wisp hex combo. And then it evolved and got stats to last it until I got the dusk stone, and boom! Possibly the best special sweeper in B&W. Plus I love the sinister look it has, even if it is a Chandelier. Its better than the goofy look that ice cream thingy has. And to top it off it could remember confuse ray for a heart scale!

Dwebble/Crustle. Caught it to use against Elesa. Kept it for the whole campaign.

I didn't think I would use Butterfree. I used it just for fun as it's an underdog Pokemon, but Quiver Dance is truly a wonderful move. ^^
I use it in BS with Life Orb, Quiver Dance, Sleep Powder, Bug Buzz and Psychic.

Virizion

Same Pokemon, different reasons.

I didn't like the Musketeer trio designs and I was sure I wouldn't use any of them, but Virizion is just great, and now I like his design. :p

And I also didn't like Volcarona's design, but Fire and Bug are two of my favorite types, and this thing is just too good, I have to use it, but I still don't like the way it looks. :p

Roggenrolla, but soon had him boxed again. He saved my hide against Lenora when I finally beat her.

Back with a new one!

Eelektross

When I looked at it I thought it was a bit gimmicky (don't like spiritomb or sableye either). And as ugly as sin, obviously.

However, a couple of days ago I was getting stomped in the Super Singles train and figured the Eelektross could be a half decent lead with his ability to hang on in there through pretty much any type attack. So I went to work. 45 Tynamos later I finally hatched one that was Modest, had 31 speed IV and 29 SpA and HP IVs.

Good Enough.

Much training later and with some leftover in his MASSIVE CLAW THINGS he was sweeping entire teams (Flamethrower, T-Bolt, Acid Spray and Grass Knot) on the Super Single train. I love him. I've fallen for him faster than I can ever remember. He just hangs on in there, I assume he'll go down with the next hit but he always clings grimly on to life, with a handful of hitpoints to his name and keeps on blasting away with his attacks until completely overwhelmed.

I always salute him when he does faint, he's a battler and a champ and has never failed me.

He is not yet nicknamed, because I cannot think of a name that properly encompases just how much I love him.

I'm now considering breeding for a physical attacking Eelektross, to make use of Coil. One of the cast-offs from my breeding stock was a (Modest) Tynamo with 31 in Attack and Speed. I can probably turn that into an Adamant nature fairly quickly.

Anyway, that's enough squee from me.

Whimsicott, definitely. It never appealed to me but Prankster is so useful and it is insanely cute. Definitely considering checking out Eelektross too.

Snivy. Never thought I'd start with a grass in my life. Always been fire. But I saw that smug look and came up with the name Smugleaf and I just fell in love with him. Beyond that, Stoutland, breakout hit for me.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom