• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you didn't think you would use

During my Black version playthrough, I caught a Minccino as filler, planning to ditch it for Vanillite after beating the forth gym. I was never too big a Minccino fan, and thought there were a ton of cooler pokemon I'd like to use.
I soon discovered that with technician, Sweep Slap and that high speed stat, almost no other pokemon was able to stand in it's way. He completely destroyed the dreaded Emonga duo of Nimbassa, and brought Zebstrika to it's knees. He became even better once I learned he could acquire the likes of Rock Blast and Bullet Seed as a Cinccino, and as a result, he never left the team.

Lillipup-line, I thought it was just another early normal type like Raticate or Bibarel. It destoyed everything in it's path until I got an Haxorus and then I wasn't sure if wanted to box it.

Leavanny was another, it was a powerhouse with Swords Dance.

I wasn't planning on using pretty much every member of my team. I think the team I wanted at first was Emboar, Samurott, Serperior, Unfezant, Escavalier and Haxorus. I was planning to get Serperior as my starter. Long story short, my final team was Emboar, Sawsbuck, Braviary, Seismitoad, Bisharp and Beartic. None of the Pokémon I was planning to choose, except Emboar.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure, but I suppose Sawsbuck would fir in here. I ended up training it a lot, but I hadn't planned to have it on my White Team.

From the start, I had my team planned out to be Serperior, Emboar, Samurott, Zebstrika, Swoobat, and Golurk. However, I looked up Swoobat's stats and came extremely close to booting the cute guy from my team. I went ahead and trained him when I got Black, and sure enough, he became my wonderful little Fighting-type slayer.

I never planned on having a Mienfoo on my team but when I decided to get rid of my Pansear, I had no idea who would replace it.

I caught one at Victory Road because it was one of the first wild Pokemon I ran into. I evolved it into Mienshao and it destroyed the Elite Four. Now it's a part of my main team and it's not going anywhere.

Missingno. *shot*
Excuse me, I meant Roggenrola. His design didn't appeal to me at all, but then I decided to catch one and give it a try. To my surprise, I found that he was very useful albeit slow, and could defeat almost anything.

Darmanitan-I was planning to use Pansear as my main fire type since you got one early and for free anyways. Did a little research, found out that overall the elemental monkeys suck and I got rid of it. Darmanitan is pretty much the most powerful fire type in the game so I went with it. Really helped me out in the League.

The Musharna line. Initially, I disliked it because it was slow and Musharna was creepy. But somehow little Xena found her way into my team and into my heart. She became one of my strongest Pokemon. I learned that going for Pokemon that are strong and fast isn't the only way to play, and now I'm starting to use slow, defensive Pokemon like Escavalier.

I never wanted to have a Trubbish on my team since Garbodor is downright hideous.

But when Elesa curb-stomped my Electric and Flying weak team, I whipped this little guy out of the box to help out. Acid Spray is now one of my favourite moves ^^

Lilligant. I didn't ever think I'd use a pure Grass-type on my team, but Lilligant's great Special Attack, good Speed, and the fact that Petal Dance is definitely the best Grass move(When combined with Lilligants Own Tempo) in the game compeletely changed my mind.

Plus, Lilligant is one of the best looking pokemon out this generation.

There are three Pokemon I didn't think I will use, to be honest. Let's get to them one-by-one.

Lillipup was caught early to "compete" with Bianca's game, but I was a little disappointed that this one has Vital Spirit, meaning no free items on the go. However, I learnt the true value of this Pokemon when I realise that I will never get my second member until I reached Castelia City. Therefore, I kept it. Sure enough, it proved very useful, because this version is Intimidate Herdier, which is great against Lenora. Still, when I got my second member, Herdier's job as a temp member is done.

The second member that I didn't think I planned to get is Dwebble. The reason I got this Pokemon is that I want a Pokemon with Stealth Rock, and Dwebble learns this move, and the best part is that it is caught before Nimbasa City. However, despite this, I never gave Dwebble the chance to punish the Volt Switch party strategy that Elesa is fond of using. Still, Crustle is pretty sturdy, and was the MVP (Most Valuable Pokemon) against Skyla, and to an extent, against N and Ghetsis.

Trubbish is basically considered because of Toxic Spikes. This is a very good move in-game because there are very few Poison-types, so you never see a lot of them absorbing them. Moreover, you get a free turn poisoning the rest of the team, which was very good against some of the important opponents, which are Cheren, Bianca, Iris, Shauntal, N and Ghetsis. Garbodor's also surprisingly sturdy, even surviving Reshiram's fire attacks and Cofagrigus' Psychic! Of course, Stockpile has to do with part of the success. I was both lucky and unlucky with Garbodor, though. Lucky because I caught one with Black Sludge, and unlucky because this one will have Weak Armour, where the Defence-lowering drawback is unnecessary for the most part; worse: it's Hasty!

Thanks for reading.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom