• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you habitually mispronounce.

Mienfoo and it's evolution Mienshao. I have no idea what the actual pronunciation of their names is, but I constantly pronounce them as "May-in-foo" and "May-in-shao". Years ago I would always pronounce Buizel as "Boysel" but now pronounce it "Bweezel" like it's actually pronounced.

I hear SO MANY people pronounce them "MINE-foo" and "MINE-shao." And I always think, "what, is it a German Pokemon?"

(It's supposed to be mee-EN-foo and mee-EN-shao, by the way ^_~)

I always say Giritina as "Jai-re-teen-a". I mean, when I fist saw that thing, I thought the G was pronounced as a J, like SO MANY other things that start with G do. My friend used to call Suicune "Soo-seen" because she thought "Swee-coon" sounded too much like a bug-type's name (hey, we were only eight). I still call Arceus "Are-see-us". I used to say "Salamence" like "Sa-la-ma-nence".

Haha, soo-seen sounds like my nephew's pronunciation. Wonder why that one's so hard for the young 'uns.

Cryogonal. I always pronounce it Crygonagal, like that lady from Harry Potter.

Yass, bitch! YASS! I'm the same way. I always imagine her when I see the name. The one name I know I mispronounce and don't care is Ar-SEE-us. It's supposed to be Ar-KEY-us to prevent any offensive misunderstandings in British-English speaking countries (Ar-see-us sounds like arse, which is British slang for ass, which is American slang for booty). But I think the entire fanbase still calls him Ar-see-us regardless due to it being the implied pronunciation thanks to the spelling. I mean, who pronounces "ce" like "ke"? No one. Arceus for life, man.

"Arc" is pronounced "ark." So Arceus.

You know what's funny? I always thought it was ARK-ee-iss, with the 'k' sound, but absolutely everyone else I know pronounces it with an 's' sound, so I always assumed I was wrong, heh.

I used to call Vivillon VIVILLION, and I sometimes been calling him/her that as well. LOL @ Me adding extra letters on Pokemon's names

What the--?
*checks bulbapedia*
Well I'll be. I've said Vivillion until you just pointed this out, lol!

Rayquaza, which I pronounce Ray-KWAH-zah, rather than Ray-QUAY-zah. Which is the official pronunciation, right?

I always thought it was ray-QUAZZ-uh. Then again I don't watch the anime or movies, so I don't really know.

I hear SO MANY people pronounce them "MINE-foo" and "MINE-shao." And I always think, "what, is it a German Pokemon?"

(It's supposed to be mee-EN-foo and mee-EN-shao, by the way ^_~)

I always say Giritina as "Jai-re-teen-a". I mean, when I fist saw that thing, I thought the G was pronounced as a J, like SO MANY other things that start with G do. My friend used to call Suicune "Soo-seen" because she thought "Swee-coon" sounded too much like a bug-type's name (hey, we were only eight). I still call Arceus "Are-see-us". I used to say "Salamence" like "Sa-la-ma-nence".

Haha, soo-seen sounds like my nephew's pronunciation. Wonder why that one's so hard for the young 'uns.

Cryogonal. I always pronounce it Crygonagal, like that lady from Harry Potter.

Yass, bitch! YASS! I'm the same way. I always imagine her when I see the name. The one name I know I mispronounce and don't care is Ar-SEE-us. It's supposed to be Ar-KEY-us to prevent any offensive misunderstandings in British-English speaking countries (Ar-see-us sounds like arse, which is British slang for ass, which is American slang for booty). But I think the entire fanbase still calls him Ar-see-us regardless due to it being the implied pronunciation thanks to the spelling. I mean, who pronounces "ce" like "ke"? No one. Arceus for life, man.

"Arc" is pronounced "ark." So Arceus.

You know what's funny? I always thought it was ARK-ee-iss, with the 'k' sound, but absolutely everyone else I know pronounces it with an 's' sound, so I always assumed I was wrong, heh.

I used to call Vivillon VIVILLION, and I sometimes been calling him/her that as well. LOL @ Me adding extra letters on Pokemon's names

What the--?
*checks bulbapedia*
Well I'll be. I've said Vivillion until you just pointed this out, lol!

Rayquaza, which I pronounce Ray-KWAH-zah, rather than Ray-QUAY-zah. Which is the official pronunciation, right?

I always thought it was ray-QUAZZ-uh. Then again I don't watch the anime or movies, so I don't really know.

Well like I said before, Ar-KEY-us and Ar-SEE-us are both official. As is Ar-SAY-us. It's even in its Bulbapedia trivia section. Pretty much everyone uses Ar-see-us because its pretty obvious that it was going to be official until the British thing came up.

Vi-vill-on instead of Vi-vee-on (Don't care what you damn frenchies say)
Shoo-sheen instead of Swee-coon (I do this purposely as an inside joke)
Gare-i-doss instead of Gare-a-dose (Another inside joke)
Rai-koo instead of Rai-koh (Habitual, I think it sounds better)
Waaaait... You mean I've been saying Raikou wrong this whole time too?! I thought I fixed it when I switched from "Rai-OH-koo" to "Rai-koo". :sweat: Although I do agree, "Rai-koo" sounds a lot better.

I also say Kyurem like "Kai-yurr-um". Is this the proper pronunciation?

Waaaait... You mean I've been saying Raikou wrong this whole time too?! I thought I fixed it when I switched from "Rai-OH-koo" to "Rai-koo". :sweat: Although I do agree, "Rai-koo" sounds a lot better.

I also say Kyurem like "Kai-yurr-um". Is this the proper pronunciation?

No, pretty sure it's pronounced "Keeyu-rem" (basically, "Q-rem"), or at least that's how they say it in the anime.

I pronounce Chinchou as "Chin-chao" but apparently is supposed to be pronounced "Chin-choh"

Actually, it is "Chin-chao".

WHAT?! This is one of my favorite pokemon! Are you telling me it's not Chin-choo? I'm going to pretend I never discovered this.

EDIT: Also, I remember hearing a while back that the pronunciations of Deino, Zweilous, and Hydreigon were something weird. I say Day-no, Zway-lous, and Hy-dray-gon, but I'm curious what they are supposed to be.

Last edited:
WHAT?! This is one of my favorite pokemon! Are you telling me it's not Chin-choo? I'm going to pretend I never discovered this.

EDIT: Also, I remember hearing a while back that the pronunciations of Deino, Zweilous, and Hydreigon were something weird. I say Day-no, Zway-lous, and Hy-dray-gon, but I'm curious what they are supposed to be.

Sorry, but it certainly isn't Chin-choo. :p I guess it could look that way if it were more French, but it's more Japanese in terms of pronunciation.

Deino, Zweilous, and Hydreigon are pronounced the same way as the German numbers, ein (1), zwei (2), and drei (3). So it's: Die-no, Zvai-lus, and Hai-dry-gon.

These are just the ones that I know of, I'm sure there are a lot more.
Rai-koo
Soo-seen
Ill-oo-mice
So-lo-rock
Watch-dog
Ar-chen
Chin-chee-no

When I was younger, I would mispronounce Scyther's name "SKY-ther," Gyarados "Guy-arados," and Togepi "Topegi." I kept doing this for a while, an no one would correct me. I don't know if they thought those were the correct pronunciations too or they just found it funny and were douches to not let me know I was mispronouncing them.

Currently, and this is the biggest offender, I keep pronouncing Arceus as "Arseus." I know the correct pronunciation, but I keep pronouncing it like I've always have before I heard the correct pronunciation.

Oh god. I'm horrible at pronouncing things.
Suicune is SOO-i-seen, Hydregion is Hydra-digimon, and yes, I have the same Arceus problem as TBAM.

On a semi-related note, I always get PO'd at the anime whenever they mispronounce Ratatta. I myself used to pronounce it Rat-ta-tat-ta, but now I pronounce it correctly. The anime on the other hand pronounces it 10 different ways, including Rat-a-tat and how I used to mispronounce it.

Once in a while I find myself pronouncing Dragalge as "Druh-gaggle", 'cause I've been hearing more people using the phrase "a gaggle of" something recently. P:

Whiscash - I always call him Wish-cash.
Walrein - Wall-ern
Probopass - Pro-pro-pass
Zebstricka - Zebra-strike

In sort of the opposite of the point of this thread, I used to pronounce Illumise like ill-OO-miss. When I discovered it was ill-oo-ME-say, I thought it was great because it sounded SO much better. I like her a lot now, actually. Amazing what a name can do.

Whiscash - I always call him Wish-cash.
Walrein - Wall-ern
Probopass - Pro-pro-pass
Zebstricka - Zebra-strike

I always used to call it Wish-cash, heh. Zebra-strike for Zebstricka is a very reasonable mispronunciation.

In sort of the opposite of the point of this thread, I used to pronounce Illumise like ill-OO-miss. When I discovered it was ill-oo-ME-say, I thought it was great because it sounded SO much better. I like her a lot now, actually. Amazing what a name can do.

What?! It's ill-oo-ME-say? That sounds so dumb. Like "me so horny." I always thought it was ILL-oo-mize.

I'm sticking with mine. And ARK-ee-iss, too.

Oh. I've been saying Illumise the wrong way all this time too? :sweat:
I thought "Cryogonal" was pronounced "Cry-OH-gohn-all", but then the anime said it like "Cryah-GAHN-all". I like my way better!

Last edited:
Things like Zapdos, Ariados and just basically words ending in dos are wrong.

Zap-doss is how it should be pronounced, not Zap-douwse.

And Ore-EE-a-douwse? ar-ee-a-doss is much better.

I thought "Cryogonal" was pronounced "Cry-OH-gohn-all", but then the anime said it like "Cryah-GAHN-all". I like my way better!
That's how I pronounce it too, it sounds better and it comes out much better. Why does the anime get final say on pronunciation?!

Zap-doss is how it should be pronounced, not Zap-douwse.
Actually, it makes sense that it's Zap-douwse. The "dos" comes from the Spanish ward for "two" (ArticUNO, ZapDOS, MolTRES), and "dos" is pronounced like "douwse".

Ratata ~ Ra-tuh-ta-tuh
Sigilypgh ~ Si-gi-li-gliff
Rayquaza ~ Ra-kawaii-za
Gyarados ~ Gary-dose
Chimecho ~ Chime-choe
Phanpy ~ Fan-fii
Groudon ~ Groo-don

Ratata ~ Ra-tuh-ta-tuh
Sigilypgh ~ Si-gi-li-gliff
Rayquaza ~ Ra-kawaii-za
Gyarados ~ Gary-dose
Chimecho ~ Chime-choe
Phanpy ~ Fan-fii
Groudon ~ Groo-don

Ra-kawaii-za...I like this. This is definitely gonna be my next Rayquaza's nickname.

I have no idea how to pronounce Dragalge, so I say "Drag-al-gee". Perhaps it's right, though. Algae is a sea plant, and Dragalge is a kelp mimic, so, yeah.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom