• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you like but whose evo/pre-evo you hate or don't care about?

RTLfan

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
  2. He/Him
Just what the title says....what are some Pokemon that you like even though you don't like their pre/evolutions?

In my case the best example is Delphox who is one of my favourite Pokemon (I have 6). Fennekin though is just a pretty normal looking fennec fox so it doesn't do much for me and I don't like Braixen's design.

Another example is Magmar. I love it's rock singer design but when it comes to Magmortar I hate the skinny legs and the big distance between them....it looks ridiculous. I also don't like that it doesn't have a long tail like Magmar.

Other notable examples: - I like Bunnelby but hate the hideous brute Diggersby .
-I like Lickitung but Lickilicky's design has too much going on and I don't like the odd body shape and proportions.
- Chansey looks better than Blissey
- Yanmega's design is by no means bad but I would've preferred something more pretty or cute like Yanma.

Last edited:
Bidoof is one for me. I like it a lot but Bibarel I can't get to like.

I love Raichu. Pikachu and Pichu on the other hand? *punts into furnace* :D

I don't love weavile nearly as much as I love sneasel.

I hate Oshawot. I love what it evolves into. I hate its final evolution.

*puts an ever stone on Vigoroth* You are not allowed to change and further you are the perfection of your line.

I love Slurpuff very much too, but if someone were to twist my hand and make me switch it out for a Fairy type capable of evolution then I'd pick Togetic over Swirlix. I don't inherently hate Swirlix, the deal is that it loses something without Drain Punch being available.

i love litiwick, but i don't like it's evolutions very much, and i'd love if it had a branched evolution that still looked like a creepy candle.

170MS.png
705MS.png

the epitome of this

Both sliggoo and chinchou are these adorable quirky pokemon, but their evolutions ruin them. Chinchou goes from being rather eerie looking, like an anglerfish pokemon should be, into another generic cutemon that looks like it could star in a pixar film. Meanwhile, sliggoo goes from being a lovable slug-dragon thing to dragonite covered in certain bodily fluids. I probably hate goodra slightly more than lanturn, but I can't stand either in the slightest. There are some other examples such as makuhita being cool despite hariyama's lameness, but none of them are more perfect examples than these two.

In terms of prevos I dislike/don't care about, there are a lot of them, as I'm mostly only interested in final evolutions. Sharpedo comes to mind in particular though, being my second favorite pokemon, yet I don't care much about carvanha. Meanwhile, I adore gulpin, the prevo of my fourth fav. It's one of very few exceptions.

Last edited:
For me, I would say this probably applies for a vast majority of Pokemon, as I tend to ignore their pre-evos and focus on what they evolve into later. Because the pre-evos are far too marketable, cutesy, and childish-looking in their designs. (Not really a Little Cup type of girl, ha) I've never thought overly done babylike things with giant heads were cute, and have a different sense of what is actually cute from a lot of other people. Actually, middle evolutions typically appeal to me more because they aren't trying so hard to be badass like a final evolution, but aren't as overdone at the first stage, having a good balance of maturity and cuteness.

But yeah, I'll just list the ones I can remember for now:

Braixen:
I don't really care for Fennekin and was only excited when it was first revealed to find out about its evolutions. (This applies to all starter Pokemon though) And whilst I still like Delphox, its design falls short for me by being less inspired and reminding me more of an old man than a cute girl. Its robe just makes it look so cumbersome and slow as well.

Wartortle: You know how I feel about first stage starters already. And Blastoise is just so bulky and bleh, I don't like it. Wartortle is cute, cool, and fluffy. Its little ears and tail really give it a personality lacking in the other stages.

Ivysaur: Venusaur just turns the line really ugly, with its fat toadlike face and features. Ivysaur is like Bulbasaur, but with more interesting features like a nice red bud on its back, and a slightly more matured design.

Vulpix: Still like Ninetales, but vastly prefer Vulpix for its more striking and unique design. Ninetales is just far more plain-looking and doesn't even retain the cute curls of its pre-evo.

Quilava: I don't care for either Cyndaquil or Typlosion. This one's cute, but not too cutesy. And has a nice sleek design.

Volcarona: Larvesta is boring. Its evolution is really where it's at.

Scyther: Scizor's okay, but I don't like its claws. Scyther just has a more naturalistic design, and that's more of what I'm into. Also, its scythes look far cooler.

Meowstic: If Espurr didn't evolve, I wouldn't really care about that Pokemon at all. It's just this small gray cat thing that doesn't stand out to me, but then turns into a beauty of both genders. Especially the female.

Dragonair: Dratini is just... whatever. And Dragonite is this big bulky goofy dragon thing. This one is elegant, has wing-ears, and jewels.

Kadabra: Abra's another cutesy little child meh. Alakazam is Kadabra, but with what I consider all its most appealing features removed. (Big fluffy tail and red star on its head) It's kind of nice that you have to trade to evolve it, because then it can just stay like that forever.

Serperior: Snivy looked far too cartoony when it was revealed. Its head and eyes are HUGE and I really don't like how that is becoming more and more prevalent in early stage Pokemon. And Servine lacked the charm of other starter mid evolutions that I enjoy. It just looked like a more bland version of Snivy. Then it became Serperior. Its elegant serpent form removes those awkward legs, its patterns, its regal appearance... it isn't trying too hard to be badass at all. It's just beautiful.

Last edited:
If I don't like the final evo, I don't like the Pokémon at all. It is stupid to keep a Pokémon unevolved.

A good 90% of the Starters and pseudo legendaries. It's easier to list the ones who's lines I like all the way through. In fact, I will:

-Bulbasaur
-Squirtle
-Chikorita
-Totodile
-Fennekin
-Froakie
-Dratini
-Deino

That's it.

In the case of Sceptile, I dislike Treecko and Grovyle. Ditto the Blaziken line, where I like the final form but don't care for the first two stages. Ditto again for the Torterra line. With the Empoleon line I only don't care for Prinplup because at least Piplup is cute. Same for the Chesnaught line. Fuck Quilladin, but Chesnaught is a badass and Chespin is adorable.

As for the pseudos, I don't like: Pupitar, Shelgon, Beldum, Gible/Garchomp, or Goomy.

For me, I would say this probably applies for a vast majority of Pokemon, as I tend to ignore their pre-evos and focus on what they evolve into later. Because the pre-evos are far too marketable, cutesy, and childish-looking in their designs. (Not really a Little Cup type of girl, ha) I've never thought overly done babylike things with giant heads were cute, and have a different sense of what is actually cute from a lot of other people. Actually, middle evolutions typically appeal to me more because they aren't trying so hard to be badass like a final evolution, but aren't as overdone at the first stage, having a good balance of maturity and cuteness.

But yeah, I'll just list the ones I can remember for now:

Braixen:
I don't really care for Fennekin and was only excited when it was first revealed to find out about its evolutions. (This appeals to all starter Pokemon though) And whilst I still like Delphox, its design falls short for me by being less inspired and reminding me more of an old man than a cute girl. Its robe just makes it look so cumbersome and slow as well.

Wartortle: You know how I feel about first stage starters already. And Blastoise is just so bulky and bleh, I don't like it. Wartortle is cute, cool, and fluffy. Its little ears and tail really give it a personality lacking in the other stages.

Ivysaur: Venusaur just turns the line really ugly, with its fat toadlike face and features. Ivysaur is like Bulbasaur, but with more interesting features like a nice red bud on its back, and a slightly more matured design.

Vulpix: Still like Ninetales, but vastly prefer Vulpix for its more striking and unique design. Ninetales is just far more plain-looking and doesn't even retain the cute curls of its pre-evo.

Quilava: I don't care for either Cyndaquil or Typlosion. This one's cute, but not too cutesy. And has a nice sleek design.

Volcarona: Larvesta is boring. Its evolution is really where it's at.

Scyther: Scizor's okay, but I don't like its claws. Scyther just has a more naturalistic design, and that's more of what I'm into. Also, its scythes look far cooler.

Meowstic: If Espurr didn't evolve, I wouldn't really care about that Pokemon at all. It's just this small gray cat thing that doesn't stand out to me, but then turns into a beauty of both genders. Especially the female.

Dragonair: Dratini is just... whatever. And Dragonite is this big bulky goofy dragon thing. This one is elegant, has wing-ears, and jewels.

Kadabra: Abra's another cutesy little child meh. Alakazam is Kadabra, but with what I consider all its most appealing features removed. (Big fluffy tail and red star on its head) It's kind of nice that you have to trade to evolve it, because then it can just stay like that forever.

Serperior: Snivy looked far too cartoony when it was revealed. Its head and eyes are HUGE and I really don't like how that is becoming more and more prevalent in early stage Pokemon. And Servine lacked the charm of other starter mid evolutions that I enjoy. It just looked like a more bland version of Snivy. Then it became Serperior. Its elegant serpent form removes those awkward legs, its patterns, its regal appearance... it isn't trying too hard to be badass at all. It's just beautiful.

Interesting, what do you think about the Ralts line?

Interesting, what do you think about the Ralts line?
Well, I assume like a lot of people, I only really care about Gardevoir. See, the final evolution of this line isn't trying to be badass and over the top, it's simply elegant and feminine. Ralts doesn't really stand out to me, though points for not being as overly cutesy as most first stage Pokemon. And I don't like Kirlia. because it reminds me of a little girl and I prefer more "teenagelike" middle forms.

After my most recent playthrough of Alpha Sapphire, I really like Claydol. It makes a good tank and a pretty decent special attacker but I've always found Baltoy to be really frail and incapable of taking on any opponents by itself.

There are others, but the worst transition to me is from Dragonair to Dragonite.
Dragonair is Top 3 on my favorite pokemon, while Dragonite is on the list of my most hated. It looks like it should evolve from something else other than Dragonair, because their designs feel completely unrelated.

It is stupid to keep a Pokémon unevolved.
there are a few pokemon having use over their evolved form. And also sometimes people can't evolve a pokemon for whatever reason, and some people just like a pre-evo pokemon form :^) (heil magikarp and bidoof)

for myself, there aren't too many pokemon that i like but not care about its evo/pre evo. Maybe chandelure, i sort of care about it because it has use competitvely, but i never played PU so i don't care about lampent.

Vaporeon - Don't care about eevee and the other evolutions
Chikorita - I like Chikorita a lot mainly because of the anime. Ash's Chikorita was feisty and sassy.
Flygon - Its pre-evos are just absolutely bland and meh.

I keep an Everstone on my Glameow, no chance I'm getting a Purugly.

Scizor is really cool, but my least favorite Pokemon of all time is Scyther. My hatred for him goes back to the time he killed almost my whole team on my first nuzlocke.

Torchic and me are cool, but I've never been a Blaziken fan. Same with Fennekin and Delphox, and Tepig and Emboar. I like the pre-evos, but the final one is just terrible.

I don't really like Primplup, but Piplup and Empoleon are my favorites in Sinnoh so I guess I can deal with Prinplup for a short while.

I usually keep my focus on final evolutions when it comes to favorite Pokemon, pre- and middle evolutions generally don't fall in my tastes (especially middle evos, they have that "incomplete" look to them)... except for my all time favorite non-legendary Scyther. But to make a little list of some of my favorites:

Top favorites:

Scyther: I've never liked Scizor, it's okay but that's it. The two are so vastly different I honestly wish Scyther got a branch-evolution that looked more like itself, or just a green, more Scyther-like Alolan Scizor OR SOMETHING. I'm so glad it has the Metal Coat barrier, keeps me from cancelling an evolution every level or making it hold an Everstone.

Garchomp: Gible is adorable, but I never found Gabite particularly interesting.

Yanmega: Yanma has actually grown on me over the years, but I'm still pretty indifferent to it.

Noivern: Noibat is like Gible and Yanma to me. It's cute, just not really my style.

Lycanroc: Same as the above. Rockruff is adorable, but not my thing.

And some of my other favorites:

Vaporeon/Jolteon: Same as the above.

Froslass: I have a strange liking to Froslass. Snorunt on the other hand, it's a little too odd for me.

Mismagius: Misdreavus always looked strange to me (plus I dislike its color palette), also I could never figure out how to pronounce its name when I was younger. Mismagius though, is a mage and has a cool spiky hat!

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom