• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you like that no one else does!

Manaphy because from what I have seen most people think it's among the most forgettable mythicals but I think it's the cutest one.
And it's also quite good in competitive play because of its access to Tail Glow, which boosts the user's Special Attack by 3 stages, the most out of any boosting move. Manaphy's definitely not forgettable to me! :)

It seems like a lot of people don't really like mewtwo, while I always thought the concept of a Pokémon made from cloning was pretty cool. Especially when I was younger, and also taking into consideration how much of a hot topic cloning was irl around the time Pokémon came out. And it's psychic, the best type :)

It seems like a lot of people don't really like mewtwo
Interesting. I always thought it was one of the more popular Pokémon out there, or, at least one of the more popular legendaries. The only people that don’t seem to like it are the ones that don’t like Charizard or Pikachu for similar reasons, overexposure.

Last edited:
The only people that don’t seem to like it are the ones that don’t like Charizard or Pikachu for similar reasons, overexposure.
But again, people not liking those kinds of Pokémon just because they're overexposed seems kinda pointless to me. I mean, for those people, if Charizard and Pikachu and Mewtwo weren't overexposed, would they like them? There's nothing bad about certain Pokémon being liked by a lot of people.

Buizel is one of my favorite Pokémon, yet no one else really likes it or shows enthusiasm for it. (In fact, Buizel is tied with Lucario for my ultimate favorite Pokémon.) As I said here about Floatzel:
Personally, I like its pre-evolution better, partly because of Ash's Buizel and partly because of its design. Both Pokémon's concepts flow extremely well (no pun intended), and Floatzel and Buizel don't seem like blatant "real-life animals with some modifications". Overall, even though I like Buizel more, Floatzel deserves more appreciation. It does well competitively in the lower tiers of Smogon metagames, too.
Plus, Buizel seems quick and agile, much like Pikachu, and anime-style battling strategies are quite diverse for it imo. Buizel can fly with its tail, use its tail to spin the attacks that it uses, and inflate the air sac on its neck to deflect opponents' attacks.

Again, though, why is overexposure a bad thing?
seeing them everywhere has gotten annoying. and it shows that game freak isn't afraid to show favorites. and all the extra things we get. like, who needed 2 megas for Charizard and Mewtwo? I get it with pikachu since it's the mascot, but come on.

Again, though, why is overexposure a bad thing?
There's only so much you can stand watching the same thing being shoved down your throat. For example, part of the hate towards Teen Titans Go! is because Cartoon Network didn't waste any opportunity to put the show, to the point there was an entire week where they only showed two episodes of different cartoons (yes, two out of the whole week).

In the case of Pokémon... to use Charizard as an example, from Gen V to the present it has not missed a single game, while poor Venusaur and Blastoise barely get attention in comparison.

The favorites that GameFreak chooses shouldn't influence others' favorites. There's nothing wrong with the Pokémon themselves, for me at least. People have the right to choose their own favorites, and GameFreak can't force anyone to have certain Pokémon be their favorites. And it seems to me that the only reason GameFreak showcases certain Pokémon is because they think those Pokémon are popular with most people. Thus, they want to draw attention to those Pokémon as part of their marketing strategy.

The reasons I like certain Pokémon have nothing to do with what GameFreak promotes. For example, I like the concept of aura, which Lucario uses heavily. Greninja has always been viable in competitive play, so I use it often and gain appreciation for it. Of course, there's always the factor that the Pokémon just look plain cool to me, which goes for Charizard. Also, I play in some Pokémon forum RPGs, and Charizard is a large and intimidating form of aerial transportation, roleplay-wise. It helps make a grand entrance. And for what I said above with Buizel, not all of my favorites are the ones that GameFreak showcases the most.

@Zorchic

In the case of Lucario and Greninja, I do like them. Aside from my favoritism towards blue Pokémon, I have used both in XY and they were great, in fact, Lucario redeemed the Fighting-Type in my mind (Steel still has a long way to go...). Ash-Greninja knocked the thing a few places due to its nature, though.

Charizard, Pikachu and Mewtwo, on the other hand...

-Charizard was fine and dandy until I reached BW... where everything started carrying Stone Edge, and I almost ragequit when fighting Kukui thanks to his frickin' Lycanroc.
-Pikachu was mediocre from the start, and I'm not a big fan of its design, so it failed in the two criteria I use to see if I like a Pokémon (appearance and/or how fun it is to use).
-Mewtwo is something that I'm looking forward to using, since it takes away the fun factor by making solo runs extremely easy (well, easier). The fact it got two megas for no reason at all doesn't help. At least it's fun to use in Smash.

There's only so much you can stand watching the same thing being shoved down your throat. For example, part of the hate towards Teen Titans Go! is because Cartoon Network didn't waste any opportunity to put the show, to the point there was an entire week where they only showed two episodes of different cartoons (yes, two out of the whole week).

In the case of Pokémon... to use Charizard as an example, from Gen V to the present it has not missed a single game, while poor Venusaur and Blastoise barely get attention in comparison.
Interestingly there was an episode of TTGo where Beast Boy kept constantly singing the same song on repeat to Terra to the point where she got sick of it and started hating him.

This is exactly the kind of thing Gamefreak does. It keeps shoving the same Pokémon on repeat untii the fans get sick of it and don't like them anymore

They must inevitably get a bit of love somewhere in the wider fanbase due to being Gen 1 species, but my two faves - Pinsir and Kantonian Exeggutor - never struck me as getting any particular shout-outs (Pinsir's design in particular seems to weird people out a bit).

Last edited:
To be pretty frank, my tastes are pretty heterodox. Magcargo, Diggersby, Impidimp line (except Grimmsnarl, which is both pretty popular and is the only one in the line that I actually dislike), Lunatone, Zubat and Golbat, Eiscue, Palossand, Alolan Raticate, Galarian Linoone, Slugma, Tangela, Tangrowth, Huntail, Eelektross, Cradily, Ledian, Heatmor and Durant, Minior, Barraskewda, Cacturne,

...The list probably will go on if I actually continue, but to cap things off...

My third favorite Pokemon of all time is Beheeyem.

Is Bibarel still disliked? I think the fandom has come to realize that he's super cute.

I seem to be the only one who is a fan of Carnivine (one of my favourite of all time).

EDIT: Spheal's and Sealeo's cuteness is massively underrated. I love them for it.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom