• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you like that no one else does!

Sunkern and namely Sunflora! I just love their happiness and how they fit one of my favourite places - National Park - but since they don't stand in competitively, they don't have any spotlight. I also just love TR Meowth's cosplay of Sunflora.

Carnivine also gets forgotten despite liking him for his cheerness, for being based on a venus-flytrap and for being one of James's Pkmn.

Meganium line, Tangrowth and Tangela, Bellossom (all line, even Gloom) and one of my favorites that I don't evolve: Cacnea...this fellow is just so adorable!

I also love Haunter and Ghastly more than Gengar to the point where I don't evolve Haunter. His first appearence was so funny.

Sawsbuck also. Aside from being a "gimmick" Pkmn in Gen. V, I love the Autunm, Spring and most of all, Summer form.

In general, I think Grass-types tend to not be used and end up as forgotten for the majority.

Last edited:
You know, I never see any love for Galvantula. It's such a cuddly adorable electric spider, yet I rarely, if at all, see anyone talking about it positively. I just wanna hug it. I loved how it was portrayed in the Adventures manga, being a Mon who's previous Trainer got swayed by Team Plasma and released it, eventually going feral before Black caught it. And after a little chat and following a confrontation with N it became one of Black's teammates. That's a concept I found interesting. Plus, battle-wise, it's pretty solid. Not only is it the best user of Sticky Web, but Compound Eyes + Thunder is always fun to use. Sure, it's frail, but it still gets the job done. Whenever I use one in my Gen 5 runs it always becomes my Elec Mon of choice. I even use one every so often in my Gen 8 runs, again, being my Elec Mon of choice, and I just love playing with it in camp. But, again, I don't see as much praise for it in the fandom, which I find to be bit of a shame, especially since it's one of the better Bug-types. So, yeah, I love Galvantula but I don't see it get much love which I find to be rather disappointing, as it's a pretty solid Mon. And downright adorable.

What are the Pokémon you like, that few others like? For example, if you like Luvdisc, which is an unpopular Pokémon, you can put that. Since there isn’t any defined parameters, I’m going to set a two parameters:
One: No starters. They’re going to be popular no matter what.
Two: No Legendaries. This follows the same reasoning as #1. This includes Mythicals and Ultra Beasts.

So, here’s a few.
Kommo-o: People think of it as ugly, and I can’t say I disagree. But it also looks cool? I don’t know. I just like it. I have one in my Ultra Sun save file. Her name is Jango.
Shedninja: I like this one because it’s kind of goofy. It is a haunted exoskeleton that will literally die to a breeze. It’s mostly disliked because of its raw fragility(it gets killed by weather, stealth rocks, and other such things). The concept is cool, though.

But again, people not liking those kinds of Pokémon just because they're overexposed seems kinda pointless to me. I mean, for those people, if Charizard and Pikachu and Mewtwo weren't overexposed, would they like them? There's nothing bad about certain Pokémon being liked by a lot of people.

To be honest, disliking a Pokémon because it gets more attention is kind of... childish. Is it annoying? Definitely, if you don't like the Pokémon, it can be frustrating. But disliking a Pokémon solely for that reason? Petty and childish, in my opinion.

But again, people not liking those kinds of Pokémon just because they're overexposed seems kinda pointless to me. I mean, for those people, if Charizard and Pikachu and Mewtwo weren't overexposed, would they like them? There's nothing bad about certain Pokémon being liked by a lot of people.
On the last part: The problem is not the fans in this case, it's TPCi's fault.

To answer those questions, in my personal case:

-I would still dislike Pikachu since its design is not interesting to me and it's pretty bad in-game. You know there's trouble when I can play with a Butterfree and a Beedrill better than with the series mascot.

-Charizard is more like a love-hate relationship. My problem is not only that it is overexposed, but that the other two don't get as much attention as him, to the point I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me "what do you mean Charmander is not the only choice?". In short, I would not have minded if the other two got as much attention. Which is sad, since I still kinda like Charizard and I like dragons in general.

-Mewtwo is mostly due to getting an unnecessary boost in my opinion. Did it need to be even stronger? On the plus side, I do enjoy using it in Smash.

Kommo-o: People think of it as ugly, and I can’t say I disagree. But it also looks cool? I don’t know. I just like it. I have one in my Ultra Sun save file. Her name is Jango.

I love Kommo-o. One of the more interesting pseudo Mons and my second favorite of the batch (Garchomp being first). I love Kommo-o's design, lore, nature, and interesting assortment of moves and stats. Sure, it has some jack-of-all-trade issues at times, but it's a really fun and versatile Mon. I've used one both in Gen 7 and Gen 8 at least once and they've been solid players. It's a shame it comes so late in Alola, like most pseudo Mons, but it's a solid, well-rounded Mon that can become a beast in the right situation. Plus, it's Totem fights are quite fun and challenging. And thanks to the TMs and TRs of Gen 8 Kommo-o has a bevy of useful and fun moves to play with, turning it into almost a Swiss Army Knife. Really, it's an underrated Mon that deserves more love and one of Gen 7's best.

Rhyperior. A lot of people seem to hate it and prefer Rhydon, but to me it's a massive improvement over Rhydon (Rhydon has one of the blandest design in the franchise to me). I like the whole miner and tank inspiration and it's one of my favourite rock types.
Five years later and i still think this. Easily one of my favorite Rock types.

I'll add Aromatisse and Hariyama. Made a pretty damn fun Trick Room Doubles team and these pull a lot of the weight. Honestly, being pretty fun to use in battle and having fun animations can make me like a pokemon a lot, even if i think the design could be a bit better.

Last edited:
Zubat is one of my favorite Pokémon. I used to be annoyed by it, like most people, because it appears so often in caves, but then I caught one and had one on my team. Don't even remember what game it was anymore, but it became a Crobat and was my favorite team member that whole game. Since then I've had a soft spot for it.

They must inevitably get a bit of love somewhere in the wider fanbase due to being Gen 1 species, but my two faves - Pinsir and Kantonian Exeggutor - never struck me as getting any particular shout-outs (Pinsir's design in particular seems to weird people out a bit).

I mostly like what Pinsir's got going on, I just wonder what the deal is with its teeth. Based on its animations in the games, they're like... flexible? Is that based on irl beetles or something?

I really like Exeggutor though, but perhaps for different reasons than you. I just recently used one in a playthrough of LGP, and its color palette stands out really nicely against a lot of the other Gen 1 Pokémon, which I think helps reinforce the idea of it as a tropical import. And, part of the reason why I often gravitate toward Grass-types is because I like the calming air of grass and nature, and Exeggutor feels the most comforting among the Gen 1 Grass-types. The rest are quite monstrous. Venusaur is a strange, giant frog crushed under a massive bloom, Vileplume is dark and ominous and probably smells horrific, Victreebel is a carnivorous plant that will eat and melt you, Parasect is a zombified insect taken over by a parasitic mushroom, and Tangela is this unruly, elusive Medusa-like thing. Meanwhile, Exeggutor is just kind of a weird, stout palm tree with funny faces. :3 Of course, I like all of those other Pokémon and have no problem at all with monstrous designs, but I appreciate having the one that breaks the pattern and seems more laid-back.

I don't see Spinarak and Ariados getting much love. I won't say they're my favourite Pokemon or even my favourite Pokemon from those particular types, but I like them. Spinarak's a cute little spider, and I used an Ariados in a playthrough (the exact same goes for Joltik/Galvantula, and I love them too, but I think they're more generally popular).

As for 'Pokemon that are actually disliked' as opposed to 'Pokemon that just aren't talked about much' I like Hypno, who I think gets a pretty bad rep at times (mostly due to its Pokedex entries). What can I say, a Hypno was very helpful in a Nuzlocke run and turned my opinion of the Pokemon around.

I'd have to say I'm one of the few that's fine with the "bipedal fire starter" trend that for most seemed to had worn out its welcome with Emboar

Emboar’s one of those pokemon where I can see why people dislike it, but I just can’t bring myself to. It’s not exactly one of my favourite starters, but I’m still rather fond of it. Most of this comes through my various BW 1/2 playthroughs where it was an absolute powerhouse in my team, or when Cheren used it. It’s 5th gen sprite also looked really menacing, it just looks like a hulking monster. I also loved using coverage like head smash, wild charge and even scald - and reckless works with its moveset rather nicely.

It probably shouldn’t have been another Fire/Fighting type, but it’s still a cool pokemon regardless in my opinion.

Inkay and Malamar. They've not only got a unique typing but the most unique way of evolving: turning your console upside-down when Inkay hits Lv30 (just don't attempt that with your TV in the Switch titles *chuckles*). Plus, Inkay in the anime was adorable and probably James' best Mon to date, along with having quite the emotional episode. The evil Malamar group was one of the very few malevolent Mons ever shown, as ever since the early days they've been trying to hammer it into our heads that "Pokemon good, Humans bad" thing, only for those Malamar to toss that right out the window, which was an almost refreshing change of pace. Plus, the line's origin is based off of some of the most interesting and mysterious creatures out there: cuttlefish and vampire squids, which I find cool, and are a much better attempt at the cephalopod-like design compared to Octillery. The line may be sort of a jack-of-all-trades but when played correctly they can be brutes, manly thanks to Contrary tossing any normal strategy on its head. But you never really see any love for it despite the fact it's a really unique Mon. So, yeah, I feel that Inkay and Malamar are rather underrated and need more love.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom