• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon you think need buffs?

TheHungryBox

Reaction score
Wigglytuff - 10+ (if not 20+) to both defenses, Friend Guard is now the permanent HA instead of being replaced by Frisk, and it gets Boomburst, Life Dew and Follow Me

Electivire - Iron Fist as 2nd ability, Electric Surge replaces Vital Spirit as HA, gets Power-Up Punch, Close Combat, Power Whip, Bulk Up, Drain Punch, Mach Punch, High Horsepower (for doubles), Volt Tackle, Wide Guard, Knock Off (from Machamp line) and Sucker Punch (from Grimmsnarl line), as well as a new set-up move that is like DD

Magmortar - Mega Launcher as 2nd ability, Sheer Force replaces Vital Spirit as HA, gets Earth Power, Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, Wide Guard and a new 85BP signature move that's boosted by Mega Launcher

Typhlosion - gets Earth Power and maybe Thunderbolt

Ampharos - Lightning Rod as 2nd ability, Regenerator replaces Plus as HA, gets Parabolic Charge (which is ideally 75BP instead of 65, also from Heliolisk line), Energy Ball, Flash Cannon and of course Tail Glow

Mismagius - 115 sp. atk, sp. def and spe, that and give it Ice Beam, Aura Sphere and Magic Powder

Ursaring - 10+ to both defenses

Sceptile - gets Nasty Plot, Earth Power and Air Slash

Gardevoir - gets Aura Sphere, Magic Powder and maybe Quiver Dance (if not 90 base speed increase)

Aggron - take 20+ from its 180 Def so we can add 10+ to Atk and HP respectively, also, replace Heavy Metal with Filter

Flygon - 20+ to Sp. Atk (100), gets Quiver Dance, Sand Rush for a 2nd ability whiling retaining Sheer Force as HA

Dusknoir - 20+ to HP (65), gets Drain Punch, Wide Guard, and a new signature soul sucking Ghost STAB

Torterra - gets Shell Smash

Infernape - gets Drain Punch

Luxray - switch its sp. atk (95) and spe (70), that and access to Volt Tackle

Vesiquen - Queenly Majesty as 2nd ability, gets Heal Order back

Samurott - gets Earthquake (and High Horsepower) and Close Combat

Zebstrika - gets Volt Tackle, Sword Dance, High Horsepower, Blaze Kick and Close Combat

Scolipede - gets Fell Stinger and High Horsepower (for doubles)

Lilligant - gets Dazzling Gleam and Weather Ball

Krookodile - gets Dragon Dance

Scrafty - gets Gunk Shot, Mach Punch and Sucker Punch

Eelektross - 95 HP, Strength Sap (Jellicent line), Zing Zap, Power Whip, Leech Life, Liquidation, Surf, Hydro Pump

Beartic - switch sp. atk (70) and spe (50), gets Ice Shard, Earthquake and Wide Guard

Golurk - 10+ to both defenses, gets Wide Guard

Chesnaught - gets Power Whip, Close Combat and Wide Guard

Delphox - gets Energy Ball, Thunderbolt, Aura Sphere and Magic Powder, plus either buff Magican or replace it with Magic Bounce or Psychic Surge

Florges - Symbosis moved to 2nd ability as Misty Surge takes its place as HA, gets Life Dew

Pangoro - gets Mach Punch, Sucker Punch and Wide Guard

Aurorus - gets Power Gem and Aurora Veil

Tsareena - Knock Off (from Rillaboom line) and Stomping Tantrum (if not Drill Run, cause Pheromosa has it)

Kommo-o - Multiscale replaces Overcoat as HA, also gets Wide Guard

Rillaboom - gets Rock Slide, Stone Edge and Wide Guard

Inteleon - gets Glare (from other snakes), Taunt, Dragon Pulse and Focus Blast

Drednaw - 122 (if not 127) atk, 81 spe and maybe gets Dragon Dance, either all those or give it Shell Smash

Centiskorch - like with Luxray, switch its sp. atk (90) and spe (65), that and give Rock Slide, Earthquake and Superpower

Grapploct - 90 HP, gets Mach Punch

Frosmoth - 95 if not 105 Speed

Last edited:
Here's some buffed or new moves that indirectly buffs various pokémon

-Hidden Power is back and streamlined with the gems
-Life Dew now heals 50% in singles
-Fire Fang, Thunder Fang and Ice Fang are now 75BP
-Iron Tail and Dragon Rush are both 110BP with 85% accuracy, at the cost of its addtional effect chance going from 30% to 10%
-Draining Kiss and Parabolic Charge are both now 75BP
-Aerial Ace is now 75BP
-Shadow Punch is now 85BP
-Sky Uppercut is back and is now 95 BP

Jurassic Maw
Type: Rock
BP: 85
Accuracy: 100%
Additional Effect: 10% of lowering defense
Distribution: Nidoking, Rhyperior, Aerodactyl, Feraligatr, Tyranitar, Aggron, Salamence, Torterra, Rampardos, Garchomp, Krookodile, Archeops, Haxorus, Druddigon, Hydreigon, Chesnaught, Tyrantrum, Lycanroc, Drednaw

Primal Pulse
Type: Rock
BP: 80
Additional Effect: 10% lowering sp. def
Distribution: Venusaur, Blastoise, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Omastar, Meganium, Yanmega, Magcargo, Tyranitar, Sceptile, Credily, Serperior, Hydreigon, Aurorus, Kommo-o

Power-Up Charge
Type: Electric
Effect: boost Atk and Spe (like DD)
Distribution: Electivire, Luxray, Zebstrika, Eelektross, Togedemaru

Draconic Maw
Type: Dragon
Category: Physical
BP: 90
Additional Effect: 10% percent chance of flinching
Distribution: Charizard, Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Feraligatr line, Tyranitar, Aggron, Salamence line, Torterra, Rampardos, Garchomp line, Krookodile line, Haxorus, Druddigon, Hydreigon, Tyrantrum line, Kommo-o line, Drednaw line, Dragapult

Dust Claw
Type: Ground
Category: Physical
BP: 90
Addtional Effect: 10% chance of lowering defense
Distribution: Sandslash, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Aerodactyl, Feraligatr, Gliscor, Tyranitar, Flygon, Armaldo, Garchomp, Excadrill, Krookodile, Haxorus, Beartic, Druddigon, Chesnaught, Tyrantrum, Lycanroc, Golisopod, Kommo-o

Last edited:
It irks me that Politoed, unlike its counterpart Poliwrath, never got a +10 stat buff in X/Y. It certainly deserves it in Special Attack.

Chesnaught with Substitute , Camouflage, Assist, to help it out as a Soldier and warrior pokemon a little out...
Hope Substitute and Camouflage become increased priority moves.

Greninja even with protean should get Camouflage

Intelleon with Camouflage and Substitute

Ciderace with Assist, Mimic and Substitute bc its a footballe pokemon...
Mat Block candidate too in my opinion...

(psychic pokemon should be able to use priority moves on psyhic terrain)

Assist would give to all gen 7 and 8 starters due them beeing cats, mammals
weird that bird pokemon didnt get assist...

Intelleon, Galaria Stunfisk with the Mimic move for the Mimicry effect

Mimicry ability for Sudowoodo and Bonsly

Delphox with Spirit Break, Magic Powder, Mimic, weather ball, Leech seed Magical leef (bc of wooden wand) Camouflage as for the mage motive...

Deciduey also should get Spirit Break , would help it too with that Defense status....
Camouflage bc Archers use that... Leaf Tornado? why didnt it got it yet?

maybe its Spirit Schakle move could get that additional Dragon Darts effect of hitting and changing targets during double battles? trapping is good but this would help it out...

Generaly would make Leaf Tornado get that additional speed reduction to that accuracy one stage taking we dont have many grass moves with speed reduction and it has only 50% to activate the effect...

why did they reduce the % of bubble beam and other moves effects and moves to reduce or increase speed generally? bad decission in my opinion... effects of moves and abilities that activate are the most interesting in pokemon battles actually to change tides of types and make weak pokemon win with stronger pokemon... they could make it 25% or make that weather and terrain 2x the effective rate of moves of those types...

Last edited:
As of 8th Gen...

Normal and Galarian Rapidash - I love both forms of this beautiful horse, but they're both kinda weak. Maybe more speed and bulk would do the job.

Mightyena - Probably one of my fave Pokes, design-wise. I personally love that dog (and I am a dog person so I'd like more cute, strong dog Pokemon), so cute and fierce. But soooo weak. Maybe a buff to most stats. I haven't used one for a while besides in Omega Ruby so I don't know it's current moveset. Maybe get it Moxie as an ability?

Boltund - A good-looking, friendly dog! But I found it very meh in terms of fighting prowess. Maybe make it one of the speediest Pokemon in Galar.

Delibird - I just posted a thread on my Christmas-themed team. I like Delibird just because it is basically Santa, but it faints with everything. A big buff to its defenses and perhaps a new evolution would be interesting

Mawile - Game Freak... bring back Mega Mawile!!! So awesome and strong. Regular Mawile is very meh.

Absol - I also love this Poke, design-wise. But again, very frail. Buff the defenses.

Glaceon - probably the prettiest Eeveelution, probably the weakest. I really don't know how to help this cutie, maybe its bulk?

Cursola and Polteageist - (both are in the same situation) I like those guys, but they should get rid of the Weak Armor ability. They have low physical defenses already.

Zebstrika - I don't know why it doesn't get more attention... wait, I know. It's Electric type with better physical attack stats than special... and the physical Electric moves are pretty sub par. It's a very cool, good-looking zebra. It should get a buff in the special attack.

Greedent - I know. It is the regional rodent and shouldn't be considered for a buff, but I like the guy. Cute, rotund, and surprisingly powerful and bulky. But waaaaaaaaay sloooooooooow.

Morpeko - I like the guy's attitude and gimmick. But again, very frail. Buff the speed at least.

ALL PSYCHIC POKEMON - for some reason I find the vast majority of Psychic Pokemon weak nowadays. Even with Psychic. It's a bummer since it used to be my favorite Type (I now prefer Dark or Ghost types). Have a new one-turn special move with a base attack of 110-120 one-turn (no Dream Eater or Future Sight), and maybe not that bad of an accuracy... Or at least buff Psychic. Or give the type an immunity to Fighting.

Garchomp - ... ... ... Kidding!!! This guy is great already. One of my top 10 faves.

Last edited:
Got a few ideas.

Toxicroak: This frog has become my favorite Poison Mon after years of ignoring it, but it needs more speed. 85 Speed isn't great, though it isn't terrible, either. Give it a boost to Speed and it'll do better against faster foes. Maybe also buff its HP a bit more, too, so it can take hits easier, especially since it doesn't have great defenses. And also let it learn more Fighting moves naturally, as it only gets Revenge via Level Up, everything else it gains through TMs/TRs, Tutors, and Egg Moves.

Both Stunfisk: Unovian Stunfisk was always a fun Mon and could be deceptively threatening, but that miserable Speed made it easy prey at times. The same goes for its Galarian Form. Also, remove Limber from Unovian Stunfisk, as it can no longer be paralyzed due to it being an Electric-type, and give it something like Volt Absorb or Lightning Rod instead. Also, give Galarian Stunfisk better Steel moves, as well as moves that it can exploit its ability, Mimicry, better when Dynamaxed, as it can only set Electric and Grassy Terrains on its own.

Theivul: This Mon needs help, badly. For starters, buff its Attack so it can actually use its Physical movepool better, since it has a bevy of powerful physical moves. Also, give it more Special moves, as it has pitiful coverage despite Special Attack being its actual attacking stat. And let it learn Dark Pulse naturally. Next, get rid of Run Away (which made more sense as a Nickit but not as a Theivul) and give it something like Competitive or Adaptability, which would help make its move hit harder, especially when things like Sticky Web is out.

Galvantula: Speaking of which, one of my favorite Bug Mons could use a boost. To start, buff its defenses (and maybe HP, too) a bit more so it can actually take a hit. Secondly, get rid of Unnerve, as it's highly situational, if not outright useless, and give it something like Lightning Rod or Volt Absorb instead. Thirdly, let it learn Thunder naturally so it can abuse it with Compound Eyes more easily.

Pallosand .

Once thing, make Watercompaction half water damage.
Two create diffrent appearance depending where the sand is...
If its in a desert area, then Piramid , sphinx or Taj Mahal would look much better then the beach sand castle from Alola.

It should get Sleep powder and all Powder moves generaly taking the nature of sand and the ghost type actually.

If it should get a hidden ability then Sand Spit or Perish Body would fit it...
or maybe a Ground type version of Ice Face but in Sandstorm and instead to physical be a substitute against special attacks instead?

Still think ut should get Muddy Water and
taking the fact that Based on its species body is immune to Telekinesis makes me think it should be immune to Powder Moves taking it's made out of sand.

Got a few ideas.

Toxicroak: This frog has become my favorite Poison Mon after years of ignoring it, but it needs more speed. 85 Speed isn't great, though it isn't terrible, either. Give it a boost to Speed and it'll do better against faster foes. Maybe also buff its HP a bit more, too, so it can take hits easier, especially since it doesn't have great defenses. And also let it learn more Fighting moves naturally, as it only gets Revenge via Level Up, everything else it gains through TMs/TRs, Tutors, and Egg Moves.

Both Stunfisk: Unovian Stunfisk was always a fun Mon and could be deceptively threatening, but that miserable Speed made it easy prey at times. The same goes for its Galarian Form. Also, remove Limber from Unovian Stunfisk, as it can no longer be paralyzed due to it being an Electric-type, and give it something like Volt Absorb or Lightning Rod instead. Also, give Galarian Stunfisk better Steel moves, as well as moves that it can exploit its ability, Mimicry, better when Dynamaxed, as it can only set Electric and Grassy Terrains on its own.

Theivul: This Mon needs help, badly. For starters, buff its Attack so it can actually use its Physical movepool better, since it has a bevy of powerful physical moves. Also, give it more Special moves, as it has pitiful coverage despite Special Attack being its actual attacking stat. And let it learn Dark Pulse naturally. Next, get rid of Run Away (which made more sense as a Nickit but not as a Theivul) and give it something like Competitive or Adaptability, which would help make its move hit harder, especially when things like Sticky Web is out.

Galvantula: Speaking of which, one of my favorite Bug Mons could use a boost. To start, buff its defenses (and maybe HP, too) a bit more so it can actually take a hit. Secondly, get rid of Unnerve, as it's highly situational, if not outright useless, and give it something like Lightning Rod or Volt Absorb instead. Thirdly, let it learn Thunder naturally so it can abuse it with Compound Eyes more easily.

I agree about Thievul. I happen to like the guy (and I even dig the Guy Fawkes look). But as with other very loveable but weak early Dark types (Mightyena and Liepard come to mind), it is sadly very weak.

I agree about Thievul. I happen to like the guy (and I even dig the Guy Fawkes look). But as with other very loveable but weak early Dark types (Mightyena and Liepard come to mind), it is sadly very weak.

Also, Liepard, because I love how sleek and elegant that cat looks (and that adorable cry) and I really wanted to play with it before my first play of Black, but it is pathetically weak especially in Gen 5 when I tried to play with it. All it gets for a decent stab move is Night Slash... for a special attacker. I replaced Liepard the moment a better alternative came along. And even if that has been solved in later Gens, it is still extremely frail. Almost as much as Delibird :(

Escavalier should know Trick Room, and Thief. Trick Room because it would help if Escavalier could be its own setter, and Thief because let's be real, it steals Shellmet's armor. There is no way it should not know Thief or Trick at minimum. Just saying. Plus bug types deserve some love.

Both Exeggutor forms could or should get seccondary ability Sturdy,
they are trees for sake. Taking out those shouldnt be elways that easy.

Aurorus could get Ice scales ability

Salandit should get male evolution but diffrent then the female, was thinking about physical fast poison/dragon or fire/dragon for this one, maybe when there are leass females then males the male evolves with a dragon fang and learning a dragon move via leveling up?

I would hope more ice types would learn Ice Hammer...

gen 5 pokemon could get better moves.

Maybe some new hidden abilities or secondary for those who didnt had any?

Last edited:
So... what's the deal of not giving Kyurem access to Ice Punch, you know, the physical version of Ice Beam? At least Icicle Spear is a good alternative given now Black Kyurem has a one turn physical Ice-type move to work with.

Not necessarily Pokemon changes but more so ability/move changes. Freeze Burn and Freeze Shock should be 1 turn moves. It's only exclusive to Black and White Kyurem so why make it 2 turns.

And I feel that Turboblaze and Teravolt should boost Fire-type and Electric-type moves to let them be a bit more than Legendary versions of Mold Breaker.

Or acces to Flame Charge and speed changing moves.

Decidueye and Bounce? Owl? it got Fly...
It has shift gear, but that requires a set up turn which the opponent can use to switch to a ground type, and Toxtricity gets OHKOed.
The ideal Toxtricity moveset is: Boomburst, Overdrive, Shift Gear and Sludge wave, a higher speed means that Shift gear can be replaced.

It has shift gear, but that requires a set up turn which the opponent can use to switch to a ground type, and Toxtricity gets OHKOed.
The ideal Toxtricity moveset is: Boomburst, Overdrive, Shift Gear and Sludge wave, a higher speed means that Shift gear can be replaced.

that or adding simply Magnet Rise and Bounce?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom