• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you think should be retyped.

Gyarados - Water/Dragon
Psyduck/Golduck - Water/Psychic
Mankey/Primeape - Fighting/Normal
Mega Absol - Dark/Fairy
Florges - Fairy/Grass
Lurantis - Grass/Psychic
Nihilego - Poison/Psychic
Mega Blastoise - Water/Steel
Noctowl - Flying/Psychic
Snubbull - Normal/Fairy
Granbull - Normal/Fairy or Fairy/Dark
Bellossom - Grass/Fairy
Ralts/Kirlia - back to pure Psychic (keep Gardevoir as is)
Geodude/Graveler - Rock
Goodra - Dragon/Water
Blacephalon - Fire/Fairy
Stakataka - Rock/Ghost
Chansey/Blissey - Normal/Fairy
Zeraora - Electric/Fighting
Emboar - Fire/Ground
Samurott - Water/Fighting or Water/Steel
Serperior - Grass/Poison
Porygon line - Normal/Electric
Politoed - Water/Normal?
Ambipom - Normal/Fighting
Girafarig - Psychic/Dark
Gothitelle - Psychic/Dark
Masquerain - Bug/Water (with Levitate, at least as a possible ability)
Azurill - Water/Fairy
Delcatty - Normal/Fairy
Volbeat/Illumise - Bug/Fairy
Vibrava - Ground/Bug (Keep Flygon as is)
Altaria - Fairy/Flying?
Seviper - Poison/Dark, maybe?
Milotic - Water/Dragon or Water/Fairy
Tropius - Grass/Dragon
Chimecho - Psychic/Fairy
Glalie - Ice/Dark?
Huntail - Water/Dark
Gorebyss - Water/Psychic
Luxray - Electric/Dark
Lucario - I like Fighting/Steel, but Fighting/Psychic would've made more sense.
Drapion - Dark/Bug or Poison/Bug. Dropping the Bug type was really weird.
Audino - Normal/Fairy
Seismitoad - Water/Poison?
Meloetta - Fairy/Psychic and Fairy/Fighting
Lycanroc Midnight - Rock/Dark
Tsareena - Grass/Fighting
Passimian - Normal/Fighting
Kommo-o - Dragon/Steel
Necrozma - Psychic/Dark

EDIT: Obviously some of these are more necessary than others. Some are just personal preference, some are basic logic.

Last edited:
Lurantis - Grass/Psychic
Just curious, why Psychic? Nothing about Lurantis seems to scream Psychic for me.
Emboar - Fire/Ground
Also curious on this one: Emboar with its current design seems to leave no possible type other than Fighting (and maybe dark in Incineroar's vein but Emboar seems to have no connection with unfairness). I can understand wanting to end the Fire/Fighting chain but a plain retype with no design change would be a bad way to execute it.

Just curious, why Psychic? Nothing about Lurantis seems to scream Psychic for me.

I agree that it doesn't scream Psychic, but I kinda like the idea given its pink color and the fact that it tricks you (like illusions/mind tricks) into thinking it's a bug. More than anything, I just think it would've added more variety and it seemed close enough. Another pure and underwhelming grass type is just meh imo.

Also curious on this one: Emboar with its current design seems to leave no possible type other than Fighting (and maybe dark in Incineroar's vein but Emboar seems to have no connection with unfairness). I can understand wanting to end the Fire/Fighting chain but a plain retype with no design change would be a bad way to execute it.

Mud wrestling. Just like Incineroar is designed like a Fighting type, but is Dark because it's a heel wrestler. Making Emboar a mud wrestler (plus, it's a pig, so the pun/reference works both ways) would've worked in the same way while also giving a unique starter type combo.

Last edited:
I agree that it doesn't scream Psychic, but I kinda like the idea given its pink color and the fact that it tricks you into thinking it's a bug. More than anything, I just think it would've added more variety and it seemed close enough.
seriosly would make grass/steel or grass/rock to make it neutral to bugs and flying, major weakness. Because a grass type that looks like a bug should be better in my opinion.

preying mantis has blade like arms, steel... praying mantis often doesnt move till it strikes fast like a rock.

Preying mantis and not Lurantis. Lurantis has arms made of grass, nothing more or less. And 'striking fast like a rock' =/ rock type. By that logic Volt Tackle should be a rock type move and the Pikachu line should be rock type since they hit 'fast and hard'.

Preying mantis and not Lurantis. Lurantis has arms made of grass, nothing more or less. And 'striking fast like a rock' =/ rock type. By that logic Volt Tackle should be a rock type move and the Pikachu line should be rock type since they hit 'fast and hard'.

stop adding something that I didnt say... Look at Scyther and Scizor... and their typings.
Its pokemon not everythings needs to make sense, but it would add the needed battle usefulness.
Dont say me that it would get worse with half rock or steel typing? it pretends to be a bug that you dont use bug at it, maybe this could be used also by creating a new pokemon?

Look at Scyther and Scizor... and their typings.

Scizor's lore says that it has arms made of steel Lurantis dosen’t have any such lore.

And I’ve been quoting what you said and I haven’t put in things which you didn’t say. The purpose for this very thread's existence is to have things make sense. You’re taking a thing which makes perfect sense and making it nonsensical, which is not needed.

I think that Cresselia should've been converted into a Fairy type. Think about it: Cresselia is supposed to act as Darkrai's counterpart, driving away the nightmares it creates. But being a Psychic type, it's actually WEAK against Darkrai. Fairy-typing would make Cresselia have a type advantage over Darkrai, which would make sense lore-wise. I swear, if Fairies existed in Generation IV, Cresselia would've definitely been created as a Fairy type.

I think that Cresselia should've been converted into a Fairy type. Think about it: Cresselia is supposed to act as Darkrai's counterpart, driving away the nightmares it creates. But being a Psychic type, it's actually WEAK against Darkrai. Fairy-typing would make Cresselia have a type advantage over Darkrai, which would make sense lore-wise. I swear, if Fairies existed in Generation IV, Cresselia would've definitely been created as a Fairy type.
I agree, and I think there are a fair number of legendaries that could have been fairy type. Celebi and possibly Jirachi come to mind. But I think they didn’t want to retype something like a legendary. Idk, it makes sense in my head why they wouldn’t, but your argument for Cresselia makes total and complete sense.

or psychic/fairy, weird that darkrai wasnt dark/ghost???

I really wish Alolan Exeggutor would lose it's dragon typing. The Pokedex entry for moon is like, the only thing that connects it to a dragon in any way.

Charizard, Gyarados, you can all eat your heart out, Exeggutor is more of a dragon than you are. :p

or psychic/fairy, weird that darkrai wasnt dark/ghost???
Cresselia as a fairy type would make sense being it is suppposed to be the one to go against darkrai, but darkrai is completely super effective against it.

Darkrai would also make sense as dark/ psychic. After all he affects dreams and stuff. And considering the other dream Pokémon: cresselia and Musharrna are psychic it makes sense.

It would be better if they had some kind of typying for eachother that puts them in equal ground. Unfortunately I don’t believe we have typing like that currently.

Cresselia as a fairy type would make sense being it is suppposed to be the one to go against darkrai, but darkrai is completely super effective against it.

Darkrai would also make sense as dark/ psychic. After all he affects dreams and stuff. And considering the other dream Pokémon: cresselia and Musharrna are psychic it makes sense.

It would be better if they had some kind of typying for eachother that puts them in equal ground. Unfortunately I don’t believe we have typing like that currently.
Darkrai and Cresselia as like a Dark/Psychic Fairy/Psychic duo would make a lot of sense, dreams are part of what a psychic type is about, and the moon and especially its phases have a connection to both Dark and Fairy types.
It gets a little strange since Cresselia would take neutral damage and Darkrai be weak or immune from their STABs, but I guess that's kinda balanced, even if not in practice? it makes sense with how they relate lore-wise, too.

Celebi is all about fairies, to the extent I always thought its typing seems more of trying to represent a fairy than anything.

On the other hand, I don't think Jirachi should be Fairy. There's maybe something interesting with its typing matching Solgaleo's, too.

dark/ psychic.
yes bug would get something to chew on and it could solve many problems.

- Miniors (Shields Down) Core form should be steel/flying taking thats it Meteor Form is rock/flying... meteors often have steel in them, this would allow it to have a little twist in battle.

(diffrent colors but not diffrent types??? weird)

-Zoroark as dark/fairy or dark/ghost
2 megaevolutions would be really cool. After illusion would break transform and battle with new abilities.

Last edited:
Some of them I have at the top of my head:

Golduck - Water/Psychic
Seadra - Water/Dragon
Goldeen/Seaking - Normal/Water
Hoothoot/Noctowl - Dark/Flying
Bellossom - Grass/Fairy
Dunsparce - Normal/Dragon
Makuhita/Hariyama - Normal/Fighting
Delcatty - Normal/Fairy
Gulpin/Swalot - Normal/Poison
Spinda - Ground
Luxio/Luxray - Electric/Dark
Cubchoo/Beartic - Normal/Ice
Accelgor - Bug/Dark
Comfey - Grass/Fairy
I can agree with golduck and I can see the logic with seadra but I’m curious about all the rest.
yes bug would get something to chew on and it could solve many problems.

- Miniors (Shields Down) Core form should be steel/flying taking thats it Meteor Form is rock/flying... meteors often have steel in them, this would allow it to have a little twist in battle.

(diffrent colors but not diffrent types??? weird)

-Zoroark as dark/fairy or dark/ghost
2 megaevolutions would be really cool. After illusion would break transform and battle with new abilities.

I don’t think Zoroark needs retyping. And if they did I would say psychic. I know some fairies are mischievous but it doesn’t feel like a fairy type and ghost typing just didn’t make any sense. If any other typing I would say psychic since illusions are just in the mind. But I think it’s fine with it’s typing.

Jirachi is a steel type basically because of meteors and outer space so it would make sense for minor to be steel typing for its shields down.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom