• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you think should not have been created

Aww but Woobat is the cutest little ball of heart nosed puff.

On topic: The Pikachu clones. Not because I hate them. I love them all much more than the rat. But the poor things are overshadowed by pikachu even in the region they're introduced into since the dang thing is also native to the regions! And they aren't even allowed to evolve. Why bother making them if you're going to make pikachu the superior option anyway? That's one of the reasons I liked how black and white had no old pokemon at first. Emolga got a chance to shine (and be a difficult opponent, what with it being immune to ground types).

I don't have any particular Pokemon in mind, but they definitely added too many Pokemon too quickly, in my opinion. Gen 2 added 100, Gen 3 added about 130, Gen 4 added about 110, Gen 5 added about 150, Gen 6 added about 60, Gen 7 added about 80.

In my opinion, numbers-wise, Gen 6 and 7 are the first to get it right. I don't like adding too many Pokemon at once. For one, it makes the Pokedex harder to manage and it also spreads out the care and attention across too many different mons. Every gen should/should've only added about 60-80 Pokemon imo. Definitely no more than 100, which I think I would've been okay with somewhat as it would've been consistent with the first 'new' generation.

Ummmm... Nope, I wouldn't say that about any species of Pokémon ever. Even with the few I hate, like Quagsire and Porygon2. All 809 of them deserve to exist and we should put up with that. :cool:

Even to this day, I still hold little-to-nonexistent acceptance towards Pikaclones in general. They all just sort of reek of the same formulaic idea of making a barely different cousin of an already cancerous mascot, and pretty much bank off of cutesy aesthetics and presumed spotlight from the anime for popularity and nothing else. I especially am disgusted with Dedenne, and how it conveys almost nothing in gameplay, design, and concept to support it having the then-unique Electric/Fairy typing it had.

Pokémon with terrible designs (Stunfisk, Lickilicky, etc.)
Annoying things competitively (Chansey, Klefki, etc.)
Pokémon with a BST under 400 that can't evolve (Luvdisc, Delibird, etc.)
Blatant dex filler (Lumineon, Watchog, etc.)

Any Pokémon with no resistance in the gameplay that often appear in the early routes and are caught mostly to fill the Pokédex. I suppose, the motive the franchise follows should be "any properly trained Pokémon can bring out its potential" since day #1, so the competitive difference between a Raticate and Blastoise should not be too large. Give unevolved forms any poor stats you like, but the evolved forms should be treated more equally. Therefore, those who don't meet the expectations are only waste of data in my humble opinion.

To be honest, I question why either of the Nidoran lines exist. Despite the fact that Nidoking and Nidoqueen are the only Poison/Ground types, no one seems to care about them or their pre-evolutions, and even I keep forgetting they exist at times. There are much more useful Poison types that people actually care about anyway.

I think there are many that would benefit from a massive redesign, as while they're ugly their concepts aren't that bad: Dugtrio, Aromatisse, Alolan Golem, Qwilfish, Burmy, Wormadam, Skuntank, Spiritomb, Conkeldurr, Cincinno, Cryogonal, Goodra, Scatterbug, Alolan Grimer, Mega Ampharos, Mega Alakazam. The ones I think are lost cause are:
-Dusknoir: Dusclops was already a massive departure from Duskull, why did they made another that looks like a fat genie? And it's hard to obtain.
-Magmortar: The design is not good at all, and seeing Pokemon blasting fire from their arms isn't cool enough compared to what other starters do.
-Staravia: I don't hate it, but it made the "3-stage bird" into a pattern. Two was enough, that extra space could have gone to something else. The same goes to Tranquill. Fletchinder is a type transition and Trumbeak is a species (woodpecker to toucan) transition so they are justified.
-Klank: Another middle stage that doesn't add anything.
-Alolan Meowth & Persian: They don't add anything to the game except vague Alolan royalty references that don't matter in the end. And their design is disappointing.
-Mega Aerodactyl: Its concept is boring and disappointing.

I'm indifferent to a lot of Pokemon, but the only ones that bother me are the gratuitous Mega Evolutions for pseudo-legendaries and legendaries, and also the four fusion mascots. Dialga, Palkia and Arceus are over the top, too.

To be honest, I question why either of the Nidoran lines exist. Despite the fact that Nidoking and Nidoqueen are the only Poison/Ground types, no one seems to care about them or their pre-evolutions, and even I keep forgetting they exist at times. There are much more useful Poison types that people actually care about anyway.
You shouldn't project your feelings onto others. Competitively, Nidoking has always been UU and Nidoqueen has fluctuated between (mostly) UU and RU, which is relatively good.

Nicolas721 said:
Staravia: I don't hate it, but it made the "3-stage bird" into a pattern. Two was enough, that extra space could have gone to something else.
Note that Staraptor is quite bigger than Swellow, and is much more intimidating. I don't think that skipping Staravia would have been very believable, and it is not enough as if there were any real space restrictions after GSC.

Last edited:
Pokémon that can't battle due to their poor stats or stat distribution.

Pre evolutions for Pokémon that already existed.

Wormadam. Protect spam.

Yamask and Cofagrigus. The idea of Yamask being a literal ghost is morbid and then there's the logic of what that makes Cofagrigus.

Bruxish. The color is gaudy and the lips are unnecessary.

Hoppip/Skiploon/Jumpluff.

Also Chimecho cause his face is akin to those of the above.

The only Pokemon that bothers me is Conkeldurr. The fact that every species of Conkeldurr carries around giant cement cylinders just bothers my brain for some reason. Like, do they secrete cement from their hands? The actual pokemon is okay. I just needed to get this off my chest.

Happiny. It's almost useless, and pointless, since I don't believe that Chansey even needed a pre-evolution in the first place.
Yeah, I don’t think Happiny should have been created, since it’s so pointless and the Incense breeding mechanic bugs me in general. At least most of the Incense babies I can excuse for being cute, but we really didn’t need Happiny. Also, I don’t think Chingling should exist either for similar reasons. Chimecho doesn’t even need a baby form, it worked perfectly as a basic stage. Why not give it an evolution instead, like a whole cluster of wind chimes? Instead, we get this jingle bell that doesn’t even look like it should naturally evolve into Chimecho.

Don’t get me started on Miltank. Nope, too late. I hated this thing for a long time because it looks dumb. And in recent years, I hate this thing even more for grossly pushing the whole idea of “dairy cows” as happy li’l milk machines. Like, cows’ reproduction and lactation are exploited just for them to make the stuff, Miltank. Not cool, ya filthy traitor!

Swirlix and Slurpuff. Why are these Pokémon? They look like something out of a cartoon for toddlers. There’s also no good reason why they’re made of living dessert. And they have a sweet tooth, sooo...do they ever eat each other or something? Just not Pokémon’s best idea.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom