• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you thought were from a different generation

kaiomann

Reaction score
This thread is for all the pokemon where you thought "Hey, this guy is from gen 4, right" and nope, he's actually from gen 2 already.

For me, it is definately Skarmony. I always thought it comes from Hoenn and not from Johto. Maybe because you only ever see it on one route on Hoenn. I have never ever seen a Skarmony during both my Gold and Heartgold playthrough.

For me, it is definately Skarmony. I always thought it comes from Hoenn and not from Johto.

Same! I also always think that Lickitung is gen II and that Roselia, Sneasel and Murkrow are gen IV, probably because they were both in Diamond and that was my first Pokémon game.

And I always forget which gen Girafarig is from.

I thought Skarmory was a Gen3 pokemon for the longest time because it is so rare in Johto and even in the Hoenn games. If you're unlucky, the first time you get to see a Skarmory is Steven's at the Champion battle, so you can say the first time I actually saw a Skarmory was in Gen3 when I first battled Steven... XD

I thought Munchlax was a Gen3 pokemon because of the anime and tried to breed Snorlax in FRLG. Eventually I searched the Internet to find out it was from Gen4.

Likewise, I thought Kecleon was a Gen2 pokemon because of the anime.

I thought Qwilfish was from Gen4. I also thought Chinchou/Lanturn and Remoraid/Octillery were Gen3 pokemons. I never saw them in earlier generations and it turns out it is because I never bothered with fishing... I was a terrible fisher back then... could never fish up anything if I'm not using an Old Rod...

I used to get Gens III and IV mixed up, like how I though Buziel was from the third gen, and that Whiscash was from the fourth gen.

Before I knew as much about Pokémon as I do now, I always thought that Pokémon that were's introduced in the anime before the games were from that generation. For example, I tought that Kecleon was Gen. II and that Marrill was Gen. I.

For a while I assumed Slugma, Chinchou and Marill were Hoenn Pokemon

I thought Slugma's family was Gen 3 for the longest time and that Weavile was a Gen 2 guy. While not exactly on topic, I had also thought the Dragon type debuted in Gen 2 for some reason.

Slugma, Macargo, and Munchlax are the three that never fail to trip me up. I never honestly found Slugma in a gen 2 game, which is probably why I assumed it was a Hoenn 'mon. And Munchlax was caught pretty early in the anime so it didn't feel out of place as a Hoenn 'mon either.

I thought Slugma's family was Gen 3 for the longest time and that Weavile was a Gen 2 guy. While not exactly on topic, I had also thought the Dragon type debuted in Gen 2 for some reason.

Wait, are you saying Slugma isn't from Hoenn? See, that's how much I know...

Hm... Not sure I can give specifics, but the Pokemon from Generation III, IV, and V can be a big blur for me.

But I can't give any specifics, because when I look at a list of Pokemon it shows them in order and their number and I'm like "Oh, of course that's from Generation __". lol

I completely agree about Skarmory. I used to have so many issues figuring out what generation it originated from, and I have no idea why. I never played GSC, nor did I complete RSE, so the fact that Skarmory may have been rare in Johto was completely irrelevant to me. For some reason, that Pokemon just screamed Hoenn to me, haha.

Another Pokemon I used to have trouble with was Munchlax. I kept on believing it was Gen III instead of Gen IV for the longest time, which is half sad cause Gen IV is my favorite generation.

i am too just finding out slugma isn't a gen 3 mon, wow... for me it's got to be electabuzz always presumed it was gen 2, but then there are a lot of pokemon that i didnt know where gen 2 such as misdreavus or kingdra

Notice how everyone has similar answers and they're Gen 2 Pokemon.

Slugma: Didn't encounter one in Johto, Flannery.
Chinchou: More common in Hoenn
Skarmory: Never saw one in Johto, used one in my first Sapphire team
Azumarill: Which is funny because I always knew Marilll was a Gen 2 Pokemon
Munchlax: I blame Gale of Darkness and the anime
Wynaut: I thought it was a Gen 2 Pokemon seeing how it was a baby Pokemon

Last edited:
Notice how everyone has similar answers and they're Gen 2 Pokemon.

Slugma: Didn't encounter one in Johto, Flannery.
Chinchou: More common in Hoenn
Skarmory: Never saw one in Johto, used one in my first Sapphire team
Azumarill: Which is funny because I always knew Marilll was a Gen 2 Pokemon
Munchlax: I blame Gale of Darkness and the anime
Wynaut: I thought it was a Gen 2 Pokemon seeing how it was a baby Pokemon

Hmm, you're right. It is probably because of how much Johto preferred to use Kanto Pokemon over Johto Pokemon. It was less the new Pokemon style of "shove the new gens in our face" then "keep it a surprise so people freak out when they see it." I prefer the former over the latter, since it results in things like this.

Long ago,I used to think Togepi was a Generation I Pokemon because of Misty's Togepi.

I always think Ponyta is from Gen 3 or 4. I'm always surprised when I remember that it's from Gen 1 (actually had to look it up just now), because it's such a long way off what I think!

I used to think Chimecho and Medicham were Gen 4, but I'm not even sure why.

Always thought Mime Jr. was from Gen 3, since it was part of the main cast since Battle Frontier, it was the same with Togepi being a Gen 1 Poke, but it was later revealed to be Gen 2 :x

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom