• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you used to dislike, but have grown fond of over time.

Zangoose
- I had sapphire and since I thought that Zangy looked cool and I had no access to it, I decided that it would suck.
Now I've tried it few times and it's just a beast!

Scizor
- You read right. I had one in crystal once, but I was a kid back then and didn' know how to use it at all.
I'm happy to notice my old mistake.

Blaziken
- I thought it was overrated since all my friends picked it, while I being a water lover went with Swampert.
Again, I tried it few times and I just love it. Hoenn trio, the godlike beings.

Zubat line
- In blue - sapphire: ...It's annoying, it's annoyng, it's annoying...
Sapphire - to this day: OMFG! Crobat FTW!!

And many others.

Pelipper.
Hated it. Looked stupid. Ran into it EVERYWHERE
then I restarted Sapphire and picked up a wingull.
Hey, would've been useful for the first two gyms at least.
It kept staying useful, so I said I wouldnt evolve it and will get a better water pokemon.

Next thing you know, it's a pelipper and I took it with me to the elite four
and I just grew fond of it. <3

Grovyle and Sceptile

Thought they were okay, at first, but never the greatest Pokemon.
Then I saw the Battle Frontier episode where Grovyle falls in love with a Meganium. Grovyle becomes an instant favorite! Not my #1 favorite, but one of my top favorite!

Then Sceptile became on of my top favorite Pokemon after seeing him in a few episodes. What a wicked cool Pokemon!

Salamence- I used to dislike it cause of how it's wings were designed, but now I like the pokemon now.
Watchog- I wasn't used to the pokemon cause of its eyes, when I saw what moves Watchog could learn it became my favorite and I can't wait to catch one.

Last edited:
Glaceon

I didn't outright hate it. It was an eeveelution. I liked it. But I always said it was the most redundant of eeveelutions because of vaporeon. I even would have used leafeon over it and I hate grass types.

But recently, thanks to a certain someone, I've really started to like Glaceon, almost to the point of it being more preferable than Espeon. It looks nice and makes that awesome fire/ice duality with Flareon. And I love that duality.

pretty much all 5th gen mons...

really, i don't think they're horrible, and to be honest, i like quite a few of them more than some of the gen 1/gen 2 pokemon

i lol'd when i saw them all, thought they were the worst mons ever, and that the three genies weren't even "pokemon" (imo that's a stupid thing to say, but hey i say a lot of stupid stuff). over time they grew on me... for the most part. golurk, darmanitan, and gothitelle are still gonna take a while though =/

oh and another one was machamp. up until the end of diamond/pearl, i refused to use it because i thought it was ugly. then i tried it.

machamp is now a total beast in my eyes.

Psychic types as a whole, really.

Aside from Slowpoke and Slowbro, who I've always loved for their derpy weirdness, I pretty much hated all Generation I Psychic types with a passion. Back when they were these uber powerful monsters with very few exploitable weaknesses, not only were they tough to beat within the game itself, but everyone and their grandma had a team consisting of Mewtwo, Alakazam and Hypno, and the sheer uncreativity of it made me weep. Then, when Generation II came along and the then-new Dark types dragged them down from their perch at the very top of the poke-food chain, I found my grudge subsided. And now Psychics are my second favourite pokemon type (after Normal). :)

Like some others here, I didn't like Oshawott when I first saw it, but it eventually grew on me over time.

I also didn't like Zoroark at first(I thought it was ugly), but now I think it's a totally awsome Pokemon!

Oshawott, the first time I saw it I thought it was ugly but after some time it grew on me. It's now my second favorite water starter after Piplup <3.

Thanks to GodChu, I used to hate all electric types with a passion. Then gen IV came along and brought in Luxray, who single handedly made electric my favourite type, and I grew to adore all of the old electric Pokes I used to hate.

Everytime a new generation comes out, I tend to dislike them at first and go on about how ugly they look and how they don't look like pokemon but I always start to like them after a while.

The main Pokémon that has one me over was Roserade. When I first saw it, I was absolutely horrified that my beloved Roselia had been ruined by evolution.

I caught a Budew in Diamond. When it started to fall behind the rest of my party, I started to dread it's evolution. But I did it anyway. And realized that she became an absolute beast. Now it's one of my favorite Pokémon.

All the Generation IV-starters:
For a long time I thought Piplup was the only one that looked at all decent, then I bought Platinum and for some reason I chose Chimchar over Pip, mainly because I knew from experience how hard it was to get a fire-type early on (turned out I was wrong, Ponyta is easily available early in Platinum)
But as I raised little Daisuke, I realized not only how cool Chimchar was on its own, but he also taught me to love fighting types, whom I had paid little attention to in the past. Daisuke was also my first legitimate level 100, due to being extremely useful against most types (even its own weaknesses, water and flying types, thanks to Thunderpunch). Turtwig was later added to my SoulSilver-party due to being half-ground-type, which also turned out to be quite useful.

Every generation 4 pokemon

every generation 5 pokemon

but time changed that.

And in the future: generation 6.

Long ago, I used to dislike the Psyduck line, mostly because of Misty's Psyduck in the anime. While I still don't care for Psyduck, I've grown to like Golduck quite a lot thanks to Cloud Nine, and it is one of very few Water-types with a cool-looking Shiny form.

Pidgeot, mostly because someone asked me to do a playthrough with it on Crystal and I ended up liking it. Now if only it had a more varied moveset it would be perfect*. Part of the reasons I used to dislike was thanks to the HM system, and I swear if I find a Crystal hack that removes all HMs I might use one.

*This might have been fixed already.

I found Tentacool annoying because of it's high appearance rate when surfing, but after using one started to like it.

Pidgeot, mostly because someone asked me to do a playthrough with it on Crystal and I ended up liking it.
I had a similar experience with the same line. I always thought the Pidgey line was bland and would just go with Spearow, but some years ago I did a challenge run of Yellow only using Ash's party and Pidgeot was actually one of my powerhouses, which made me like it a lot more.

Quite a few, especially when they have become part of one of my main teams in any playthrough, and more so if I enjoyed playing with them:

LUCARIO - At first I thought it was really, really overrated, and I have never been a fan of its design (now the Mega version is very, very cool). While it is still not in my top 10, nor 20, Pokemon, it is still a cool looking and reliable Mon.
FLAAFFY - I used to find the whole Ampharos line to be meh, but I included a Mareep in a playthrough of SoulSilver and I just ended up finding it so adorable when it evolved into Flaaffy. Plus it is stronger than it looks.
GRENINJA - Very similar case to Lucario. It is still very overrated IMO, but it is a better Mon than I thought it was before I played with it.
AEGISLASH - Before I used it I didn't care about it, but then I used it, and knew first hand how OP this Mon really is. An instant favorite.
CROAGUNK - Similar to Flaaffy, I ended up liking Croagunk even more in Shield because I love how adorable it looks while walking and running. I don't know, I just find it very cute. I like Toxicroak also because of its association with Croagunk.
GARCHOMP - Similar to Aegislash, but this one ended up becoming one of my top 10 fave Mon of all time. It is just THAT cool. And it sweeps through everything! it's just amazing.
XERNEAS - I was never a fan of its design and I vastly preferred Yveltal over Xerneas, at first. But Xerneas is a very strong Fairy type.
SAMUROTT - Another Mon I didn't care about until my first playthrough of Black. Very dependable.
INCINEROAR / GARBODOR / ALOLAN PERSIAN / BRUXISH - I group them together because they were in my "Uglies" team, mostly because, well, they look ugly... But I grew fond of these guys as I watched them grow and kick butt. They're far better than the general fandom makes them to be.
BUTTERFREE / BEEDRILL - I used to think it was very weak, but that changed in the Let's Go games. It kicked butt. Nuff said. Same situation with Beedrill.
TOXTRICITY - I was put off by its design at first, but it just grew on me naturally as I played with one; now I think it is a very cool Mon (and now in my top 20 Mons at least). Plus the fact that both its forms are based on a guitar and a bass guitar (which I absolutely love, I used to be a bass player myself a few years back) makes me like Toxtricity even more. I still have problems with its species name, though. I'm glad I always nickname my main Pokemon.
GREEDENT - I was surprised how tanky this chubby little squirrel is (and how hard it hits, physically), so it grew on me. I just wish it weren't that slow. It's a squirrel, for Arceus' sakes.
DRAGAPULT - Similar to Garchomp. Didn't care about it at first, but now it is among my top 10 fave Mons. I love how creative its design is, how speedy it is, and I just love its translucent tail. Awesome Pokemon and probably my fave Galar Mon (tightly close are Toxtricity and Sirfetch'd).
PANSEAR - While I still don't care about most Unova monkeys, this guy is really cute and appears to have a very cool personality. I like it as it is and the one I used in a playthrough I never evolved, because I really don't care for Simisear. Pansear is way cooler.
BIBAREL - It has been my loyal HM slave for many, many playthroughs, and I appreciate it a lot for it. I don't think it is so useless as many people make it to be (I used to think it was ugly and useless before too). It can pack a punch in a fight if needed be.
GOLDUCK - A meh Mon at first, I found out it is quite strong and versatile.
CARBINK / MAGMAR / DODRIO - I still don't really like Carbink that much, but it has sentimental value because it was my first shiny ever in a main series games. Magmar and Dodrio are in the same situation: I like them more because I found their shinies, all by chance. Dodrio's in particular is very good, it looks like a tropical bird.
JYNX - I admit, I was put off this one mostly due to the general hatred from the fandom, but when I played with one I found it is not only strong, it is HILARIOUS. Just its cry is enough to make me smile. And I still say it looks like a female Mr. Popo, which always cracks me up.
RATICATE - Similar case to Greedent or Butterfree, it was mostly a meh Mon, until I used it. Fairly versatile and strong for a little rat.
FERALIGATR - I always picked Cyndaquil as my starter in the Johto games (Meganium a couple), but when I gave Totodile the chance, the Mon just grew on me. It is very strong and I realized how cool-looking it is, especially because of its colour scheme.
MANECTRIC - I thought at first it was too weird-looking, but since it is now part of my esteemed Mexican team, it has grown on me. Plus it is a dog, I'm partial to dogs.
CHESNAUGHT - Similar to Manectric, I didn't care about it at first, but since it became part of my cherished Christmas team, it has become an instant fave. Plus it is badass to be honest (except for the goofy-looking face, still...)
HAWLUCHA - Another meh Mon at first, after its inclusion in my Mexican team, I realized just how kick-butt, cool and cute it really is. I also love how theatrical it is both in the games and in the anime. Plus you can't beat its animation when performing the Flying Press in X or Y... It is always awesome to look at!
CLAYDOL - I was very weirded out by it, but that made me more drawn to it at the same time. I'm starting to appreciate some of the weird-looking or outright ugly Mons and try to avoid judging them based on just looks. And Claydol has something to do with that (as is Incineroar, Garbodor, Alolan Persian and Bruxish)... That being said... I still think Alolan Raticate is butt ugly and I will probably never use one, since I already played with a Kanto Raticate anyways.
DURALUDON - Another one I was put off by its design, but it is fairly cool and has grown on me as I finished my playthrough with it (as part of my Alien team), I just wished it was more sturdy on the Special department. Doesn't really take a Special hit that well to say the truth.

Anyways, those are some of the Mons I used not to care about, dislike or even outright hate... but now I at least appreciate them, like quite a bit, or even outright love them.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom