• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you wish were competitively better?

Samurott for sure. My favorite Pokemon is rendered obsolete thanks to horrible stats. If only it got a buff on par with Serperior and Contrary...

Meganium, Torterra, Milotic, Houndoom, and Ninetales.

Also Venusaur, Sceptile, Chesnaught, and Dragonite, although those are already considered fairly solid in their respective tiers.

Butterfree, Butterfree, Butterfree! :'( I mean, I can still kick ass with it during play throughs, but god forbid I bring one into a competitive battle.

Butterfree isn't terrible at least. It has Compoundeyes boosted Sleep Powder and Quiver Dance, but it would definitely help if it had better special attack and speed to make better use of its potential.

What it needs is a Mega that takes advantage of its full potential.

Your Mega Butterfree looks nice, however there are a few changes I'd make. For one, I really don't like the idea of lowering its already abysmal attack stat to give it extra stat points to boost. I would keep attack the same and lower one of the defenses by 10. Although Compoundeyes was its niche, I don't take issue with your idea of a bug-type pixilate. In fact, I actually quite like the idea because bug type moves have very bad offensive coverage, so a 117 base power bug type Hyper Voice even boosted by QD won't really be 'overpowered'.

Using your Mega Butterfree I would run this set.

Butterfree @ Mega Stone
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Modest
- Quiver Dance
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- HP Ground / HP Fighting / HP Fire

These Hidden Power types provide the best coverage alongside Mega Butterfree's STAB moves. I haven't looked much into which of the three would be the best, but I'm pretty sure it's entirely situation. Hidden Power Fire leaves you near defenseless against Heatran though..

Well the reason I went with lowering the Attack stat is because Butterfree isn't physical. Just like how the actual Mega Beedrill was lower in Special Attack to focus more on physical Attack. And raising both Defense and Special Defense makes it far more sturdy.

That's strange. I didn't realize Beedrill's Special Attack had been lowered. But still, I like your idea. :)

Butterfree, Butterfree, Butterfree! :'( I mean, I can still kick ass with it during play throughs, but god forbid I bring one into a competitive battle.

Butterfree isn't terrible at least. It has Compoundeyes boosted Sleep Powder and Quiver Dance, but it would definitely help if it had better special attack and speed to make better use of its potential.

What it needs is a Mega that takes advantage of its full potential.

Your Mega Butterfree looks nice, however there are a few changes I'd make. For one, I really don't like the idea of lowering its already abysmal attack stat to give it extra stat points to boost. I would keep attack the same and lower one of the defenses by 10. Although Compoundeyes was its niche, I don't take issue with your idea of a bug-type pixilate. In fact, I actually quite like the idea because bug type moves have very bad offensive coverage, so a 117 base power bug type Hyper Voice even boosted by QD won't really be 'overpowered'.

Using your Mega Butterfree I would run this set.

Butterfree @ Mega Stone
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Modest
- Quiver Dance
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- HP Ground / HP Fighting / HP Fire

These Hidden Power types provide the best coverage alongside Mega Butterfree's STAB moves. I haven't looked much into which of the three would be the best, but I'm pretty sure it's entirely situation. Hidden Power Fire leaves you near defenseless against Heatran though..

Well the reason I went with lowering the Attack stat is because Butterfree isn't physical. Just like how the actual Mega Beedrill was lower in Special Attack to focus more on physical Attack. And raising both Defense and Special Defense makes it far more sturdy.

That's strange. I didn't realize Beedrill's Special Attack had been lowered. But still, I like your idea. :)

Many Mega's had a decrease in one stat to favor the rest. That's why Mega Ampharos and Abomasnow are both so dang slow.

Most Gen 1 Pokemon, tbh. They were good back then, with the broken mechanics, but not in today's Gens...
You mean like Persian and Dugtrio...?
Samurott for sure. My favorite Pokemon is rendered obsolete thanks to horrible stats. If only it got a buff on par with Serperior and Contrary...
I can't stand crits. Hate hate hate 'em. So shell armour... i consider that as good.
Many Mega's had a decrease in one stat to favor the rest. That's why Mega Ampharos and Abomasnow are both so dang slow.
The last thing Ampharos needed was a decrease in its already low speed (base 55 to 45) nor an increase in attack (base 75 to 95 i think). Most of its movepool is special and its sp. attack is way superior anyway. Turns out in competitive you do need more than L'Oreal.

You mean like Persian and Dugtrio...?
Yeah, Persian is a good example. It relied on the guaranteed Crit with a Stab Slash, and today it has nothing. Same for pokemon that had some sort of trapping move combined with high Speed, or even Cloyster which was a pain back then.

I'd love to see a more competitive Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. At this point, I've played with both, and they are very very underpowered.... I think Victreebell could use a more upgraded move set a well...

Florges doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves. It's a Special stats are nice but everything else falls by the wayside. I wish it got just a bit more.

Now, the Pokemon I wish had more oomph to it has to be Gigalith. I love its design, and it has wonderful Physical stats, but a Base 25 speed makes it pretty much useless. Couple that with Sturdy as an ability, and Sand Force as a second ability, and you get a solid rock Pokemon (I couldn't resist) that will NEVER find itself on a top-tier team.

It's a shame.

(...) a Base 25 speed makes it pretty much useless. Couple that with Sturdy as an ability, and Sand Force as a second ability, and you get a solid rock Pokemon (I couldn't resist) that will NEVER find itself on a top-tier team.
You can always try to put it in a Trick Room team. :rolleyes:

(...) a Base 25 speed makes it pretty much useless. Couple that with Sturdy as an ability, and Sand Force as a second ability, and you get a solid rock Pokemon (I couldn't resist) that will NEVER find itself on a top-tier team.
You can always try to put it in a Trick Room team. :rolleyes:

Too gimmicky. Plus even on a Trick Room team, Golem does everything it does, but better. And that's not saying much when we look at how much Golem blows. For such a simple yet awesome design, Gigalith does not get any handouts.

Every Pokémon that isn't good competitively. It annoys me so much that there are 700+ Pokémon and only a handful of them are actually useful when it comes to competitive battling. Not only does this often make it impossible to use your favourite Pokémon, it also makes competitive battling quite boring as you keep seeing the same 20 or so Pokémon used over and over again.

In my opinion every single Pokémon should have something that makes them useful for competitive battling, this way everyone can use their favourite Pokémon and competitive Pokémon teams would be more diverse.

I always wanted the Regis to be more competitive. Registeel is obviously pretty good, but Regirock and Regice are just a little too lopsided to be useful in top tiers, and their typing doesn't help much either

But ESPECIALLY Regigigas. The King of the Golems is so bad in competetive, with normal typing, slow start and no reliable recovery... It's really too bad :(

Last edited:
Druddigon. He is still good, but not top tier good. Also, i'd like some NFE Pokemon to get some niche utility. I like Dragonair a lot and it is absolutely useless in competitive. Some pokes should follow the example of Rhydon, Shelgon and especially Doublade.

Luxray. It's kinda slow, and even though it has high Attack, the coverage moves it gets aren't exactly the best.

Empoleon. Even though it has a wide movepool coverage, those moves run off of Attack, which isn't to good.

And Rampardos. Rampardos, while not having Rock Head, practically is a total beast with it's Attack Stat and access to Head Smash and has Mold Breaker. It's super frail though, and slow as well. Although it has a does have a good movepool.

Last but not least, Magikarp.:p

I know mega altaria's a thing, and is pretty broken, but to be honest, I do generally prefer to pretend it doesn't exist. Suffice to say, I am not at all pleased with what happened to the design of one of my favourite pokemon. So anyway, could regular altaria possible be better somehow? I mean, I've never found her particularly bad, even if she is low-tier, but still, I feel she could stand to be a fair bit better.

Actually, on that note, I love the idea of using 'decoy megas' - a pokemon in the team preview looks like it's going to be a mega, but actually turns out not to be, and something else is instead. Or just having multiple pokemon which could be megas to keep your opponent guessing as to which is. This isn't a request for more megas, though, just I'd like a few more pokemon to be able to fill their own niche without mega-evolving, or at least have something they do as well as or better than their mega. Most of the pokemon who can hold their own without mega-evolving in higher tiers have banned megas, so yeah, that doesn't work out so well.

I'd like umbreon to be better - the poor thing's spent literally her whole life in vaporeon's shadow as a defensive eeveelution, and now she's facing competition from sylveon as well. Give umbreon some more sneaky moves - she's a dark type, dammit. Snatch might be good, since if the enemy uses a status move, great, if not, umbreon should be able to take a hit anyway. Also, she could then baton pass on stat boosts gained. And snatch is a rather obscure move you don't see often, so it'd have the surprise factor as well.

In general, actually, probably more tanky pokemon need buffing up. Since Gen V, I gather the metagame's been becoming faster paced and more aggressive, and stalling tactics have seen better days, not something helped much by the introduction of megas. The game could probably benefit from more defensive options, and better ways to control the increasing number of violent attackers. Sure, I've not played that much recently, but from what I've heard, this is more or less the state of things.

I suppose I had better be predictable and say I want ninetales to be a bit stronger. A little buff to special stats and speed wouldn't go amiss, neither would some new moves, or maybe even a second type like dark or ghost? But not a mega. Please not a mega. I swear, I'll quit Pokemon if mega ninetales becomes a thing. Or well, more likely it'll just go the way of mega altaria, and I'll continue, pretending it doesn't exist, but... Well, anyway, I won't be best pleased, to say the least.

Every Pokémon that isn't good competitively. It annoys me so much that there are 700+ Pokémon and only a handful of them are actually useful when it comes to competitive battling. Not only does this often make it impossible to use your favourite Pokémon, it also makes competitive battling quite boring as you keep seeing the same 20 or so Pokémon used over and over again.

In my opinion every single Pokémon should have something that makes them useful for competitive battling, this way everyone can use their favourite Pokémon and competitive Pokémon teams would be more diverse.
It's going to be extremely hard to give something unique to each pokemon to make them better at competitive battling, because there's so much you can give to each pokemon. Like, several pokemon eventually have the same thing and some do better than others at that same thing, it's just inevitable.

But i agree that they should buff a bunch of the lower tiers pokemon to make them better at competitive battling.

Honestly, every single final evolution of every Pokemon. I would love for every single one to be competitively viable in some way. Or at least more than they are now. It's huge request, I know, but eh.

It's going to be extremely hard to give something unique to each pokemon to make them better at competitive battling, because there's so much you can give to each pokemon. Like, several pokemon eventually have the same thing and some do better than others at that same thing, it's just inevitable.

But i agree that they should buff a bunch of the lower tiers pokemon to make them better at competitive battling.

Well I never said they all should have something unique, did I? Just that they should all have something that makes them useful. For example, now a lot of Pokémon are dealing with stats that are lower than other Pokémon. Most people go for those high stat Pokémon, which makes it quite impossible to ever win a fight if you use the low stat ones. If every Pokémon had the same number in the stat total, the fight would already be more fair.

Higher stats, good abilities, strong moves, those are all things that could be given to Pokémon to make them competitively useful. It doesn't matter if Pokémon share the same of these, as long as the fight's at least fair. Too many Pokémon simply lack all three and are therefore 'useless'.

I don't know if it is just me or it has any piece of truth but I always find grass Pokémon weaker. And that's why I didn't pick my favourite starter (and favourite Pokémon overall) as Snivy in W2, instead I went with Tepig. But I'd like to see grass Pokémon worth to use. (Except for Lilligant. She was literally amazing in W2.)

Butterfree is my favourite Kanto Pokémon and I trained a Butterfree in almost all games I played (FR/HG/X). And I can say that she is real worth to use with Toxic + Venoshock and Sleep Powder + Psybeam. X had the best Butterfree I've ever trained.

Venusaur is pretty good competitively. And yeah, apparently people swear by Quiver Dance/Sleep Powder/Psychic Butterfree. I don't play competitively, so mine sweeps with like... Bug Buzz and Energy Ball and Shadow Ball and Psychic.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom