• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you would actually redesign

Nice Arcanine on your avatar :p

On a seperate note, I would redesign Bouffalant. Actually, just remove it. It's basically what Tauros would look like if it were a teenager in the 70's.

I know right? My favorite Pokemon is from Gen I... I never said all designs were bad some were great (The Starters Arcanine, Nintales, Dragonite, the Nido's ect...) and a lot were uncreative (the aftermentioned Pokemon) and some really ugly (Magmar (Magmortar was an improvent imo) Mr. Mime (Female Mr. Mimes are squicky) Jynx ect....) and some got better over time (Magnazone for example huge improvent over Magneton in terms of design and usability and Scyther was very happy to get Scizor as a evolution)

Gen V is way better then I... If you ask me Gen I had the worst designs I mean come-on Dugtrio/Dotrio/Magneton are all just their lower forms with an a extra head (or 2) stuck on Muk is just a bigger Grimer, Electrode is a bigger upsidedown Voltorb the designs there are way to simple...

If you ask me that's not such a bad thing, it makes the evolutions more realistic. It makes a lot more sense for dodrio to get an extra head than for the water starter in V to start off as a panda thing and end up as a weird dog-ish thing with a unicorn horn. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are certain pokemon in every gen that I don't like but most of the ones in Gen V, that I've seen, to me just aren't designed very well at all. There are exceptions, of course, I have seen a couple that look ok.

If you ask me that's not such a bad thing, it makes the evolutions more realistic. It makes a lot more sense for dodrio to get an extra head than for the water starter in V to start off as a panda thing and end up as a weird dog-ish thing with a unicorn horn. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are certain pokemon in every gen that I don't like but most of the ones in Gen V, that I've seen, to me just aren't designed very well at all. There are exceptions, of course, I have seen a couple that look ok.

Panda thing? Oshawott is an otter and Samurott is a Sea-lion/Otter Chimera... Dotrio is just boring.. Sawsbuck does the whole grown up lower level better there was no reason for Doduo to gain another head and thats it... I think GF put more work in other Gen's I'm fine with the evo looking grown up but I'm not fine with lazy evo's like Dotrio.

Panda thing? Oshawott is an otter and Samurott is a Sea-lion/Otter Chimera... Dotrio is just boring.. Sawsbuck does the whole grown up lower level better there was no reason for Doduo to gain another head and thats it... I think GF put more work in other Gen's I'm fine with the evo looking grown up but I'm not fine with lazy evo's like Dotrio.

Just so you know, it's Dodrio, not Dotrio :p Just saying.

I prefer the "lazy" evolutions when thinking about it, because they make more sense. For example, how the hell would Remoraid turn into Octillery?

However, without the evolutions that don't make sense, a lot of awesome designs might have been skipped. I have no clue how Snorunt turns into Glalie, but I love it.

And so as to be related to this thread, I would redesign Reshiram to look more like a Fire-type, and get rid of that awkward tuft of fur by its crotch :-/

That things meant to be an otter? I can only imagine the people at gamefreak have never seen an otter before. Anyway, there's really no way to settle this debate- its all just a matter of taste. Personally, I like more subtle evolutions. Although I was never a fan of dodrio or dugtrios designs themselves. Sometimes less is more and a simpler design can go a long way. Anyway, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Just so you know, it's Dodrio, not Dotrio :p Just saying.

I prefer the "lazy" evolutions when thinking about it, because they make more sense. For example, how the hell would Remoraid turn into Octillery?

However, without the evolutions that don't make sense, a lot of awesome designs might have been skipped. I have no clue how Snorunt turns into Glalie, but I love it.

And so as to be related to this thread, I would redesign Reshiram to look more like a Fire-type, and get rid of that awkward tuft of fur by its crotch :-/

Evolution from a Gun to a Cannon but yeah that was one that makes no sense... like I said I like Evo's like Arcanine who looks like a mature Growlith but not just Growlth with an extra head... as for Snorunt I prefer Froslass =) Agree on Reshiram's crotch hair but I like him the way he is the fire type is evident in his tail plus he is more nateral then Zekrom who looks more artifical.. many people said he looked like a Dark type before we leanred he was Dragon/Electric...

I hope they use Hydreigon's orignal cyber dragon design for a Pokemon next Gen... though Hydriegon is epic either way

That things meant to be an otter? I can only imagine the people at gamefreak have never seen an otter before. Anyway, there's really no way to settle this debate- its all just a matter of taste. Personally, I like more subtle evolutions. Although I was never a fan of dodrio or dugtrios designs themselves. Sometimes less is more and a simpler design can go a long way. Anyway, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Looks like an otter to me... and it's name... Oshawott Ocean/Water/Otter and Dewott Dew/Otter and Samurott Samuria/Otter How did you not get the fact he was an otter? It was obvious... I don't mind simple but when it gets bland (like Dodrio/Dugtrio) I have a problem...

Evolution from a Gun to a Cannon but yeah that was one that makes no sense... like I said I like Evo's like Arcanine who looks like a mature Growlith but not just Growlth with an extra head... as for Snorunt I prefer Froslass =) Agree on Reshiram's crotch hair but I like him the way he is the fire type is evident in his tail plus he is more nateral then Zekrom who looks more artifical.. many people said he looked like a Dark type before we leanred he was Dragon/Electric...

I hope they use Hydreigon's orignal cyber dragon design for a Pokemon next Gen... though Hydriegon is epic either way

Looks like an otter to me... and it's name... Oshawott Ocean/Water/Otter and Dewott Dew/Otter and Samurott Samuria/Otter How did you not get the fact he was an otter? It was obvious... I don't mind simple but when it gets bland (like Dodrio/Dugtrio) I have a problem...

I didn't know the things name. To me, it looks nothing like an otter. So now your gripe is with dodrio and dugtrio in particular? I'll agree those specific pokemon don't have the best designs but what can you expect? They were introducing 151 at the same time. They can't all be good.

I didn't know the things name. To me, it looks nothing like an otter. So now your gripe is with dodrio and dugtrio in particular? I'll agree those specific pokemon don't have the best designs but what can you expect? They were introducing 151 at the same time. They can't all be good.

My gripe is that about 70% of Gen I is like Dodrio very bland and boring... I don't get the ZOMG Gen I is perfect thing and I've played since Yellow V and III have ny favorite Pokemon IV is an interesting mix but Gen I is bland and Gen II is just Gen I 2.0 at least Unova has a reason for the expies Gen II has both the orignal AND Expie's in the same game and the orignals are more common

I know this has been beaten to death, but something has got to be done about Reshiram and its crotch fur. It's such a beautifully designed Pokemon, stunning even, but what in the world were the thinking when they drew that? It looks to me like they had a fantastic design, then some immature little kid sketched that in, and it somehow stayed!
Add to the fact that Reshiram is supposed to be feminine.. Think about that for a while.

I know this has been beaten to death, but something has got to be done about Reshiram and its crotch fur. It's such a beautifully designed Pokemon, stunning even, but what in the world were the thinking when they drew that? It looks to me like they had a fantastic design, then some immature little kid sketched that in, and it somehow stayed!
Add to the fact that Reshiram is supposed to be feminine.. Think about that for a while.

I was so annoyed by it, I made this:

60325t.png

It's the best result my noobness could muster :p

I was thinking that Oshawott could get a smaller nose. Something that doesn't look like a potato. And change those weird cone-things on the side of its head could probably stand to go, or at least be replaced with something resembling ears.

And speaking of the head, it could get a little smaller, so the little thing would look less like an ice cream cone. And the tail is stupid. Oh, and gotta get rid of thise Powerpuff Girl arms. And the eyes should look less dead. Those freckles need to go, and the little fangs are just annoying.

If I could redesign it, I'd probably make its face similar to Dewott in terms of palette and design. Not too too much, where it's just a copy, but something similar enough to convey a logical step towards the Dewott stage.

Awww d3-bates, that is lovely! I wish it were real, Reshiram would be my favourite Pokemon if I could get past that... thing.

Pignite and Emboar so they'd be quadrupedal like Tepig and be fire/ground instead of fire/fighting.

And I agree that Reshiram's crotch fur does look odd. But I love Reshi anyway. :3

Also, I'd like to do something about several of the Gen IV evos. First off, at first glance, I actually could not tell if Lickilicky was and evolved form, or a baby form. It just looks kind of under designed for an evo. Secondly, Magmortar. Oh god.. It looks.. awkward. I'd go for something a little more like Magmar, perhaps a little more menacing looking. That plump body and those little legs make it look hilarious, and while hilarious is fun, it's not quite what I had in mind for a Magmar evo.

Rayquaza doesn't intimidate me like the other Ubers do. I would redesign it to have a ferocious pair of teeth instead of the gummy baby ones it actually has. According to the Pokedex, Rayquaza has been around for hundreds of millions of years; surely it's not longer an infant?

I would redesign all Pokemon from third, fourth and fifth generation. All of the designs bug me for some reason, even the one's the actually like I find something off about them.
Especially Empoleon.

Vanillite and it's evolution's, The whole idea of having Pokemon look like ice cream cones is a little weird in my opinion. :|

Vanillite and it's evolution's, The whole idea of having Pokemon look like ice cream cones is a little weird in my opinion. :|

I'm not sure that would be considered a 'redesign', if you're changing the entire concept around it. That's just getting rid of one Pokemon and putting in another imo.

I would redesign Heatran definitely. When I look at it I really don't see 'legendary', and because I never played Gen IV seriously I never knew it was. When looking at it, I just see a rather large, normal-looking Pokemon. It's based on volcanic remains - surely it could look more menacing/intimidating?

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan.

They look nothing like Tyrogue and Hitmontop, who are much better designed and less generic. Hitmonchan is especially bad. That's got to be one of the most boring designs in the Pokemon series.

Also, Tropius. I'd make it look a little more vicious, because as it is now, it's just very dull and forgettable.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom