• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon

Reaction score
Pokemon Anime Spoilers ahead
Ash Finally Wins A Pokemon League, This Would Have Been A Bigger Deal If He Won At The Height Of The Series

So here we are, 22 years into the Pokemon anime, and finally Ash Ketchum has won a legit Pokemon League. I'm sure for a generation of kids, this is pretty exciting. For those who are older and were once Pokemon fans (and maybe still are), well, it's a childhood dream come true. Yet, I think it's a victory that has come too late.

0c0756b123c1a2f48ef0ca1a4ab70551113d83c2r1-800-450v2_uhq.jpg

Those who are part of my generation vividly remember the early years of Pokemon. Pokemon was truly something special because it was a show that nearly every kid liked. For a few years, my generation grew up having a singular common interest that pretty much made everyone equal on the playground. Pokemon hype was rampant - and I'd say the majority of my generation was on the hype train up until at least Pokemon Advanced. That was the season I stepped off, and from my understanding, most of my peers followed suit throughout following seasons (some held on until Diamond and Pearl, but eventually most of us moved away from the anime).

I'm sure other generations of children enjoyed (or are enjoying) Pokemon as well, but it's hard to imagine any generation liking it as much as my own did when we were children. We were the original targeted audience for it, after all; and even as adults there's still some love for Pokemon remaining in our hearts. While Ash winning a league finally is wonderful to hear: it would have been more impactful if he won back during the height of the overall series. Ideally, during the Johto League - it comprised the last 3 seasons that most consider as the anime still at its peak (it apparently did good again but not until X&Y).

OPE04.png

Why would it have been more impactful? Firstly, the original audience was still very much invested in the anime at that time. Seeing Ash win was a dream of ours as children, so it would have been a nice touch to witness him win. Plus, it would have been a reward for our devotion to the series. Secondly, I imagine the series would have gained even more success, and Pokemon products would have probably doubled in sales perhaps. Finally, it would have gripped interest and kept the original audience watching the show throughout whatever came next. Ash's life goal was to become a Pokemon Master, and winning a Pokemon League isn't the only criteria towards becoming one apparently, i.e. the show wouldn't have to end (it still baffles me that the developers avoided this for so long, like it would signal the end of the anime).

Basically, hearing he won makes me happy, but it's news that comes too late - and I think I'm speaking for the majority of my generation here. Now that he won, I'm not going to take time to start tuning into the anime as it currently stands. While I think for once the future for the anime could finally be interesting again, it'll only be that way for the current generation that likes the anime - and I can't stress enough how lucky they are not to have their hopes crushed like my generation did (twice! And more times depending how long you watched, lol).

Last edited:
Honestly, I feel the loss at the indigo league was justified as it was his first one. Of course it makes sense that he lost there. I don't watch the anime anymore and don't really remember the early days, so I can't really say how I felt when Ash lost that league. I just don't remember. Perhaps they will retire Ash and replace him when they start this new anime series.

Literally half the original fanbase quit watching the show in Johto and most were not even watching anymore by the time we got to the league at the end. The original fad died back in 2001 around the end of the first year of Johto, and most never even knew Ash beat Gary or that Misty left until we were already into Hoenn as they already stopped watching. The 3 Johto movies bombed in U.S. theaters for this reason too. I don't know where this, "Johto was at its peak" is even coming from, Johto was the start of the anime being repetitive and stagnant even if there were still some good eps from time to time. The online fandom was also completely dead at the time.

Most of the original fanbase eventually got interested again around the time AG began, this is when the online fandom and forums were heavily active, and this continued to the end of DP. (besides the dub switch where some english only watchers stopped around 2006). BW was another dropping off point but even then some original fans still watched.

Getting back to your topic, should he have won the Johto league? It would have been cool, sure, but if Ash was just going to continue on as a main character it would not have mattered much.

Literally half the original fanbase quit watching the show in Johto and most were not even watching anymore by the time we got to the league at the end.
Maybe for some, but as far as I knew most people still were interested throughout Johto, and even up into Pokemon Advanced, at least for my generation which made up the actual youngest spectrum of fans who remember the original anime.

Maybe for some, but as far as I knew most people still were interested throughout Johto, and even up into Pokemon Advanced, at least for my generation which made up the actual youngest spectrum of fans who remember the original anime.

Most of the original fans continued watching way past the end of Johto, I think you're mixing up the Misty fans in particular with everyone else. Johto ended way back in 2002, the show remained popular throughout the early/mid 2000's, although the dub switch took a hit when the voices changed in 2006. I mean that was 17 years ago, and the original series as a whole only went on 5 years. The entire series took place after that.

Actually, I stopped watching a long time ago because I got older and had more responsibilities to take on. Like any adult.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom