• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon's Eugenics Problem?

milgrip

Reaction score
Hey there! Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been an avid pokemon player since pokemon red (my first ever video game) and it's always bothered me that the storyline is so themed around bonding with, and learning to cooperate with your pokemon, only for competitive pokemon to be such a cold, heartless, slog of rejecting boxes and boxes of mons. After years of this I actually made a dumb youtube video about it, let me know what you think. Does this bother you as much as it bothers me? video here

This is one of those things that gets messier as the series progresses, because the early Pokémon games could give nary a toss about your team as individual characters - the anime blurs the lines here, but the 90s titles are fairly unapologetic about the titular creatures being animals that you've brought along for the ride. In this context, selective breeding is less of an issue given it's mundane IRL husbandry practice that's absolutely demonstrably effective in scientific terms. It's become less comfortable as time has gone on as more emphasis has been placed on Pokémon as individual personalities in and of themselves, but it's also fair to note that this has been met in tandem by improvements to the IV and EV training process, making it much easier to optimise a given individual for competitive battling.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom