• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon's Top 10 Greatest Rivals, according to Pokemon.com

Juputoru

Let's have a toast
Reaction score
A little something I noticed while digging around Pokemon.com for any bits of DVD info I could find...

1.Harley
2.Gary
3.Morrison
4.Drew
5.Tyson
6.Katie
7.Richie
8.Harrison
9.Kelly
10.Trinity

Apparently, the editors at Pokemon.com love Harley as much as everyone else does! Gary getting second place isn't a huge surprise, but Morrison beat out Drew? Ouch. I don't remember who Katie was other than some coordinator May faced, and I'm surprised that they included Trinity(picking a character from a filler tournement in the Johto saga? Not that that's bad, it's just surprising that they didn't pick another coordinator or league competitor. Of course, these are the same people who included the Wobbuffet Villiage in their Top Ten Vacation Destinations...). Nothing else I care to note, other than the fact that Ash's and May's rivals are present in equal numbers(well, other than Trinity who was more of a Misty rival...).

Comment away on the editor's taste if you so wish.

Katie was the girl Ash faced in the Hoenn league. She had long green hair and nearly gave Ash a run for his money.

Kelly was the girl with the Grumpig that May faced in Lilycove City.

Harley is #1! YAY!

Gary lost his luster when he turned "nice" in Johto.

Harley's the only rival who has been consistent with his grudge over May, even still having it in for her after he beat her. Likewise, he's the only rival to ever try and cheat to make his opponent lose.

Most of the other rivals there are goody two-shoes, Harley owns them all.

Gary > Harley. I'm sorry, Harley is indeed awesome, but he is not and never will be cooler then Gary. It's just an unobtainable feat. Pit the two against each other and Gary will hand Harley's fabulous ass to him.

I must say, I'm surprised Kelly managed to worm her way in there. I know the girl has her following of fanboys and all that jazz, but she really wasn't anything special. In my opinion, Grace was twice the rival Kelly was, and then some.

But in any case, it's pretty cool that some rather obscure choices make it into these top ten lists. Especially when you get a character like Trinity in there.

Katie....wasn't it like Katie Fisher, with like a Scyther and that uber-Bellsprout?

Habunake said:
Katie....wasn't it like Katie Fisher, with like a Scyther and that uber-Bellsprout?

That's Janet Fisher.

The Katie they're talking about is the one from the Hoenn league. I'm surprised she was on the list too, since we got almost no backstory on her and the only reason people like her is because of her looks and battle strategies.

I must say, I'm surprised Kelly managed to worm her way in there. I know the girl has her following of fanboys and all that jazz, but she really wasn't anything special.

They must have seen the artwork of her and May on Pokesho. ~

Oh yeah! Katie, she was cool! With the Golduck, Venomoth, Scizor, Walrein, Dugtrio, and Misdreavus!

Scott85 said:
That's Janet Fisher.

The Katie they're talking about is the one from the Hoenn league. I'm surprised she was on the list too, since we got almost no backstory on her and the only reason people like her is because of her looks and battle strategies.

They must have seen the artwork of her and May on Pokesho. ~
Most likely because the hoenn league recently aired on the western half and people tend to vote for new recent things especially children who have small attention spans and can only retain recent occurences.

Then why would Gary, with one AG episode that hasn't even aired in the US yet, be at number 2?

I only know who four of the people on that list are. I guess I really should have watched the Hoenn episodes.

I'm surprised they didn't put Jessie and James on there...but I guess technically they're villians, not rivals. I'm also surprised that Gary didn't get number one, because he wasn't just a rival...he was THE rival.

Harley must just be that popular, despite only being in a few episodes in the U.S. so far.

From what I heard, Harley, (and Drew) are two of the most popular characters in the show in Japan. Apparently, the Contest arc is a much bigger deal over there than it is here, hence why the writers promote May for their Japanese audience.

Hey, everyone! Let's turn this into another "May is so awesome and popular!" thread! That's sure not to bring in controversy and start another point May vs. Misty debate! :D

I'm surprised but not surprised Gary's so high. He was absolutely bland and not present in Johto, although that's not his fault. Just kinda ruined my opinion of him. >>

And Katie's awesome! She doesn't need a background, she's a more realistic trainer! And besides, Drew doesn't have a backstory either. Or Harley when I think about it...

Drew being below Morrison is an insult.

Richie was beaten out by Katie? Well, I didn't see the episode(s) with her so...

Gary should have won, as awesome as Harley is. D:

HARII TOTEMO NUMBER ONE!!!

I agree with most of that list, though I would have placed Drew higher, naturally. ;)

Lil Brother said:
Hey, everyone! Let's turn this into another "May is so awesome and popular!" thread! That's sure not to bring in controversy and start another point May vs. Misty debate! :D
When is it ever May vs. Misty on BMG? May controversy, yes, but I never see the same about Misty here.
Lil Brother said:
Drew doesn't have a backstory either.
He's getting some backstory in the Grand Festival episodes.
Or Harley when I think about it...
He has a fake backstory. :p

Harley's ludicrous fake backstory is yet another reason why he's HARII TOTEMO NUMBER ONE!!!

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom