• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokéShipping Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the writers were intending to keep up Pokeshipping, surely they'd have ensured that they made the most out of each one of her appearances?
...Which pisses the hell out of me. The writers had built something with Misty over five seasons and then they simply just throw it away. Sure Misty may have moved on to Tracey but where's the closure? If the writers have indeed dropped pokeshipping, then they've done a not so good job of patching up lose ends with Misty's crush on Ash.

Though feelings have nothing to do with making valid and cohesive arguments, I honestly feel betrayed by the writers if they do indeed plan on making orangeshipping canon. Well, there's always fan art and fan fiction... :(

I just hope they don't do that with contestshipping... Drew leaves the show permanently! Brenden joins the group! Hoennship hints abound! :\

Even if she doesn't turn up often, I don't think that the writers would try to push PokéShipping every time she makes an apperance. They established her feelings with her basically confessing them to Ash, so unless they come out and actually take that back or have her go wild over some other guy, there's no reason for us to assume that they've changed whatsoever.

Remember, this isn't shoujo, it's shounen. It's not meant to have love as a main plot point. It's something to be wrapped up in the final episode or episodes, to give the series a nice happy ending.

Not complaining about the debate, just asking if a list was actually made. :p

lol. I wouldn't mind seeing a list for the Johto hints, actually.

Swifty said:
...Which pisses the hell out of me. The writers had built something with Misty over five seasons and then they simply just throw it away. Sure Misty may have moved on to Tracey but where's the closure? If the writers have indeed dropped pokeshipping, then they've done a not so good job of patching up lose ends with Misty's crush on Ash.

I think "Gotta Catch Ya later" was meant to be the closure. Misty finally got her bike back, one of the things that she started following Ash for since the first episode. Now, of coruse Misty later develops a crush for him and follows him for that, but the bike was the symbol for their first interaction with each other. When Misty gets her bike repaired in Viridian City, Ash/Misty have come full circle so to speak. Not to mention Misty "almost" revealed her feelings for Ash in the episode along with the hankerchief and whatnot.

This episode did give closure to the 5 years of Pokeshipping the writers built up. Now I'm not saying that Misty can't still like him, but the entire childhood crush has been resolved IMO. Misty got her bike back, she grew as a person realizing that being a Gym leader is an important responsibility, and she realized what good friends she has. I can't think of a better way to give closure then what the writers have done. They've written both Misty and Pokeshipping out of the show the best way they could, and for the most part it seems like they've succeeded without making people feel like "something is still suppossed to happen."

No pairing is ever guarenteed in Pokemon. It should be known that hints do not 100% guarentee that those two people will get together.

I just hope they don't do that with contestshipping... Drew leaves the show permanently! Brenden joins the group! Hoennship hints abound! :\

Contestshipping reminds me of Palletshipping (Ash/Gary). People think that the "arguments" between them mean love, but they're really all about gender rivalry. Not to mention Drew isn't nearly an important character like Misty is, and he can actually be written out quite easily without too much hassle. He's only a recurring character afterall, who has been in less than 15 episodes out of a 140 episode arc, unlike someone like Misty who was in over 200 episodes and 5 movies. Main characters do not date their rivals, kthx.

Last edited:
Main characters do not date their rivals, kthx.
*resists urge to make extensive list*
*agrees with you on GCYL, however*

The writers don't "write" pokéshipping in like they can write it out as a part of a main story arc, it was just event that the writers felt they would touch on a bit, infact the writers probably don't even know they have fans who like the idea of Ash and Misty being together.

Remember that Pokémon is a business, and it's more of a business than it'll ever be romance, so kicking out a character for the sake of the pokémon animé to be revived is required because of the financial aspects of the fandom, not because they deliberately want to write out the feelings Misty had Ash and all that bollocks! Don't want to sound harsh, but I do consider that to be true in these scenario's. C'mon let's be real they aren't going to write her back in just for a romance!

The only thing that'll deter the prospects of pokéshipping is if one of the other ships that either is involved becomes canon, or Misty never comes back etc.

The fact that there was as much OrangeShippingness as there was PokéShippingness during the end of Hoenn suggests that the jury is still out on the matter if the writers are still interested in pursuing an Ash and Misty sub-plot, so future apperances will be interesting.

Contestshipping reminds me of Palletshipping (Ash/Gary). People think that the "arguments" between them mean love, but they're really all about gender rivalry. Not to mention Drew isn't nearly an important character like Misty is, and he can actually be written out quite easily without too much hassle. He's only a recurring character afterall, who has been in less than 15 episodes out of a 140 episode arc, unlike someone like Misty who was in over 200 episodes and 5 movies. Main characters do not date their rivals, kthx.

Heh heh! Someone didn't watch the Grand Festival episodes... ;)

Ooh I did. Which is why I'm certain that May/Drew is going down the same path as Ash/Gary.

Did you see how friendly Ash/Gary acted during the Johto league? Some people went a step further and counted those as shippy hints. -_-

It's the same thing with May/Drew, they're rivals who will turn out to be good friends. Not to metion Drew may be written out of the show like Gary was once May beats him in a Grand Festival.

Sharpshooter said:
The fact that there was as much OrangeShippingness as there was PokéShippingness during the end of Hoenn suggests that the jury is still out on the matter if the writers are still interested in pursuing an Ash and Misty sub-plot, so future apperances will be interesting.

*What* OrangeShippingness? All I've heard of thusfar have just been a few running jokes, clearly intended for humour. Hell, he's even dating her sister!

o_O He's dating her sister? Wait, what, huh? I've never heard that before. Forgive me if I take it with a grain of salt. I imagine if that were correct it would have been splashed all over every shipping thread in the fandom by now.

And I don't see how the Orangeshipping moments thus far are humorous when none of Misty and Tracey's reactions to the various accusations, Luvdisc-fantasies, etc., were funny. Except for the one where Misty blushes, and nobody can describe that one as anti-shippy!

I ain't gettin' into the Contestshipping stuff, we've been over this a billion times already.

Wasn't it mentioned in this thread already a few pages back? I haven't seen the episode, so I can't remember who it was off the top of my head, but it's in there.

Obviously, I'm going to need to get copies of these eps somehow, so I can debate them properly.

Hmmm. As far as the Luvdisc daydream from Daisy, and if I remember correctly, both Misty and Tracey refused to participate in the play. I see that somehow as anti-shippy. And none of them was blushing. But I'll rewatch that episode to be sure.

*also needs to get the other supposedly orangeshippy hosos*

Kasumi-san said:
Hmmm. As far as the Luvdisc daydream from Daisy, and if I remember correctly, both Misty and Tracey refused to participate in the play. I see that somehow as anti-shippy.
I can see how you'd think that's anti-shippy but I think Misty refusing is because she doesn't like doing the plays. She's refused before, remember?

It wasn't so much that they refused, it was more that Misty thought it was a silly idea.

Tracey and Daisy dating? Wouldn't it be kind of weird for Daisy to be imagining her sister and her boyfriend in a romantic play together? If anything, that whole ordeal seemed anti-Handymanshipping to me. I've never heard of those two actually dating... Until now anyway, anyone got proof? o_o

They went on one date. At the end of "A Date with Delcatty". It's "Luvdisc is a many Splendored Thing" where all the Tracey/Daisy hints are.

What are the Tracey/Daisy hints, then? I've never heard of any.

FabuVinny said:
They went on one date. At the end of "A Date with Delcatty". It's "Luvdisc is a many Splendored Thing" where all the Tracey/Daisy hints are.
I heard that the dub had them go on a date in those episodes. If they went on a date on the original, you'd think somebody would have brought it up before the episodes were dubbed. I only started hearing about them dating after it aired in the UK or wherever.

And I still find it odd that Daisy would imagine her little sister with her boyfriend and be happy about it. =0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom