• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Announcing the National Bulbagraphic photography contest, open to entries from New Pokémon Snap and Sword and Shield, with prizes for the winners! A thread with all the details on how to enter can be found here.

Pokeshipping General Discussion

Reaction score
Hey guys! I had this small interview with Miya Toriaka from DeviantArt (her page- MiyaToriaka on deviantART). All of us know who she is, since she's a pretty popular PokéShipping artist on DeviantArt. Now, here are the questions I gave her, and the answers she gave me:

Questions-

Question One~ Why do you like PokéShipping? Is it because you think Ash&Misty are cute together? Or is it because of their hints?

Question Two~ What do you think are the biggest hints for PokéShipping?

Question Three~ You may have heard that the writer for Pokémon (at the time when Misty was there), Mr. Shudo, said that he didn't mean to let people think that Misty has a crush on Ash, and that he was sorry people thought she did. What do you think of that? Do you think it ruins the point of PokéShipping? Do you think that, after looking at the hints again, that they could be described as friendly?

Question Four~ How big do you think the FanBase is for PokéShipping in the U.S. and Japan?

Question Five~ Do you think that PokéShipping has a chance of actually becoming 100% canon in the future? How big of a chance?

Question Six~ Why didn't you support other 'Ships that rival PokéShipping? Is it because you didn't like them? Or is it because you don't think they have hints that show they like each other? Or maybe you DO like those 'Ships, but not as much as PokéShipping? If so, why?

Miya's answers-

1.) Because they're the cutest and most obvious pairing in the whole world. When I saw them the first time I was just sure they're made for each other and hey, every KID saw that, also in Japan. You can see this fact about all the FanArts which came out in the very first years and how old the drawers were (examples: Miyabi Akasaka and Teppo Pepper, the most popular Pokeshipping-drawers in the whole world). And they're still for this couple, also when Misty isn't there anymore. Teppo P. has a crush in CilianxAsh, too, but she's still a Pokeshipper, too. That's my evidence in my theory. Not only the anime is important for a canon pairing, but the trust of its fans.

2.) Simple: Every episode of season 1-5 and all episodes where Misty is in. Maybe it's not the Pokeshipping you guys see but for me, especially, it's the deepest friendship I've seen in my whole life. That's why I'm so sure Ash and Misty will be best friends forever and ever, doesn't matter what happens in future.

3.) You know what? Mr. Shudo was a Misty-"hater" (he never liked her) and that's why he was some kind of "angry" when he saw the people liked her that much, especially with Ash. In the first seasons they always made very official and obvious hints, an anime only does when the characters have something special to do with each other. In my eyes he was the only one in the cast of Pokémon who didn't want to see Ash and Misty together, but was the most powerful man, that's why the couple never became canon - and also because of the fact Pokémon is just an advertising-anime for the games (means, no pairings allowed, not because of that stupid saying "It's a kid's show!".) That's why I just say "dafuq" to what Mr. Shudo said about Pokeshipping or Misty, because the facts were there, truly, not because of "4Kids Pokémon-version only", no, it was also in the original show, although many people disagree with that now, because they've full respect for Mr. Shudo. But me not. I only see true facts! And the TRUE facts are, there is something very special between Ash and Misty. Maybe not that love, but a very special relationship, only these two have. Well, by all repect, Mr. Shudo, you're wrong and you knew that your whole life long. My opinion.

4.) That question I didn't understand in the forum, either, but I agree, the fanbase is bigger in USA than in Japan. Japan goes on and loves all Pokémon-characters. Some of them remember Misty, draw her sometimes, but the relationship of Ash and Misty goes down under, that's a very sad fact. In USA and Europe the pairing is still active, but only because of the loyal fans. For me the Pokeshipping in the anime died, too, but "my" Pokeshipping will never die and that's why I keep it alive and draw every new story I've in my mind. I'll draw them (for)ever, although I know "my" Ash and Misty are not those ones out of the anime. In the anime they're the "bestest of best friends" [only] - but in my mind they're this and a very happy couple, too. They're standing as a symbol for "true love" to me - and this will never change ♥

5.) The chance is 50%. Why? Because of the actual ending of Pokémon in 1998/1999. You all know the actual ending of the first Pokémon-movie and I'll keep that in my mind although it was planned many years ago. That's why I think it's 50%: We have two possibilities IF the anime will find an end anywhen. First possibility is the more realistic one: Misty will never come back, but stay as a very good friend to Ash. Ash will never be seen in any relationship, like Nintendo always said it; means, no Pokeshipping, or any other Ash-shipping. Second possibility is: The writers show a very last episode like Digimon season 2 did and show the future of the characters (based on the actual idea of Pokémon Movie 1) and which "couples", maybe. And I'm pretty sure, if such an episode would have been planned the absolute obvious canon pairings in the end would be Poke, Rocket and Contest. Only those three for sure. But as I said, I believe only in possibility one, because Nintendo said so. But we fans have our fantasy and that is what counts.

6.) Simple answer: I'm neither interested in "other" pairings, nor it is simple clear to me. I've only ONE TRUE PAIRING and that is for always and forever ASH and MISTY. All other characters and pairings don't interest me in - any - f**king - way. ♥

Now, she said she didn't want any part of her answers edited, so this is what she originally said. What do you think? Do you agree with some points? Do you disagree with some points?

Good news everyone...
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty cool that you got an interview with Miya. Good to see that she seems just as passionate as ever.

If (and hopefully when!) Ash and Misty become a couple, what problems do you see coming up in their relationship? How would they work through these problems, if any show up?

Lots of fighting, bickering, quarreling, quibbling, etc. And, as Likeitornot said, probably over trivial things. I could also see both of them getting jealous over friends who just happen to be of the opposite sex.

Reaction score
I guess I can answer my own question now.

If (and hopefully when!) Ash and Misty become a couple, what problems do you see coming up in their relationship? How would they work through these problems, if any show up?

Well my errant thought one day was, "When they get married, who is going to cook the food?!?" I had recently recalled the one episode where Brock gets sick, and Misty tries to cook. Misty cannot cook to save her life, and I wonder how they survived before meeting up with Brock. Without Brock they probably would have died, because Ash never shows any inclination towards cooking. I see two possible solutions to these problems:
1. Ash will grow up and learn to cook (I see this as more likely)
2. Brock (or Cilan) will live with them forever and cook for them (this is obviously the less likely situation, but I prefer it to the boring situation of Misty learning how to cook. I see this as a part of her character, and an interesting and funny quirk of hers)

Good news everyone...
Reaction score
Ash learning how to cook? I don't see that ending well. All I see are kitchens in flames.

Aaaanyway. I believe it's time for a new topic, and I do believe I have one.

If Misty were to become some kind of celebrity, how would Ash react to hearing gossip about her on the radio (the kind of gossip involving the opposite sex)? What about the other way around?

I may or may not be writing a new fanfic where this happens (as in I am) and I may or may not base what I write after the answers I see here (as in I probably will).

⊱✿Creepin'
Reaction score
Aw,Ilove the interview on Miya. Glad to know more about her and pokeshippingXD

stopping by to post a bannerXD Been a long time posting here.. and it's quite a silent days here eh?

Good news everyone...
Reaction score
Nice art! Seems like Miya's in full form.

I'll try my hand at another topic, even though my last attempt failed. :/

So I was digging through the Pokeshipping tumblr the other day and I found this magazine article about Pokeshipping. It's from a now out-of-print magazine called "Beckett Anime Collector," which I'd never heard of, so I don't know much about it, other than the vague information on the internet. It was a comprehensive anime news magazine, basically. Here's a few screens of the article in the spoiler tag:

pokeshippingmag1.jpg
pokeshippingmag2.jpg

I can't tell if it's an opinion piece or not. The evidence they cite is a bit strange. I personally wouldn't use Misty hiding from bugs behind Ash in Veridian Forest, as it's weak at best, or Misty's Song, as it's a completely dub-added thing. It makes it seem like the author doesn't really know all that much about it, so it doesn't seem like an opinion piece, but maybe they just aren't well versed (though you'd think they'd do some research). Also, I hardly know anything about the magazine. I'd be curious to know their track record when it comes to couples. The last sentence also sounds like the cryptic language that magazines use when they know something but they're not supposed to make any positive claims about it.

Thoughts?

P.S. Here's a transcription of the article if anyone can't see the images or read the text:

ANIME AMOUR

Ash and Misty

A classic case of friendship, or something more?

Ash and Misty from Pokemon - are they friends? Or is there something more to their relationship?
(caption on a picture of Ash, Misty and Macy: Misty's never jealous. No, not Misty.)
[...]
Their Story

At the beginning, Ash broke Misty's bike. Misty began to follow Ash to make sure he would pay off his debt to her. Needless to say, they didn't get along. They bickered constantly, and it's hard to believe that these disputes laid down a foundation for such a strong friendship. Misty joined Ash in his journey and traveled by his side. Their friendship grew stronger as the series progressed, and they relied on each other not only for friendship, but for support as well.

Evidence

One of the first places these two travel together is Veridian Forest. The forest happens to be home to bug Pokemon. It just so happens that one of Misty's greatest fears is of bugs. Every time a bug Pokemon would appear before them, Misty would hide behind Ash. Considering that they didn't like each other very much at the time, this showed the first signs of a relationship between them.
(caption on a picture of Ash and Misty holding hands from the episode "Tower of Terror": Misty doesn't seem "bugged" to hold Ash's hand.)

By far the most evidence of their possible relationship comes from Pokemon: The Movie 2000. Ash, Misty and Tracey are traveling in the Orange Islands, but find themselves saving the world. In this movie, a girl named Melody appears. When she first meets Ash, she gives him a kiss on the cheek. This makes Misty furious, but when asked if she's Ash's girlfriend, she denies any such a relationship. Misty spends the next day being very jealous of Melody. Later in the film, Misty tells Melody, "Ash is never really alone because... he's got me."
(caption of a picture of Ash shoving a pokeball in Misty's face: There's plenty of laughs with this pair.)

More evidence of their relationship is "Misty's Song" from the 2.B.A. Master soundtrack. The song is about Misty's feelings toward Ash. Take a look at some of the lyrics:

I wanna' tell you what I'm feeling, but I don't know how to start
I wanna' tell you, but now I'm afraid that you might break my heart
Oh, why should anything so easy, ever be so hard to do
I wanna' tell you what I'm feeling, and to say that, I love you

(caption on a picture of Misty dragging Ash to shore in P2K: Come storm or high water, these two stick together)
(caption on a picture of Ash and Misty in team rocket uniforms: They even impersonate team rocket together!

The Future

Misty leaves the series in Pokemon: Advanced to take over as the leader of the Cerulean City gym. It seems that she thinks about Ash a lot. Just because they're separated doesn't mean there's no hope for these two. Even if their paths are different, I have a feeling the place they end up will be the same.

Reaction score
Well hello everyone. My name is pokefannn. I'm not new, I've just been lurking on the forums and haven't posted in about a year. There hasn't been any posts since August, so I figure the forum could use a new topic:
Suppose that the good people who produce the anime decide to make poke shipping canon. How do you think this would occur in the anime?

(Yes, this is a lousy question, but it would be nice to see some activity here sometime before Halloween)

Pokéshipper
Reaction score
Good to see you on this thread again, pokefann (we joined these forums on the same day, I remember). Time to get this thread going again.

Suppose that the good people who produce the anime decide to make poke shipping canon. How do you think this would occur in the anime?

The possibility of that happening is unfortunately very far-fetched at this point in time, but if they were to indeed make it canon, I imagine they'd bring Misty back for a couple of episodes in the middle of the series and fill these episodes to the brim with hints to reinstate the ship's following among younger viewers. Then, they'd make it canon in the series finale, when Ash goes back to Kanto (not necessarily the end of the whole anime, but maybe just the end of the BW series). Announcing beforehand that Misty was returning for the finale would bring the viewing figures through the roof, and that's exactly what the company wants.

Reaction score
I agree that poke shipping is unlikely to ever become canon. ( I'd go as far to say that the odds of Misty no reappearing in any more episodes is much greater than the odds of her reappearing.) However, if the producers did decide to make it canon, I think they would have Misty reappearing in one of the introduce-current-character-to-last-series-main-character arcs. They would work in as many hints as possible in the arc. They would probably wait to make it canon until the last episodes before a regional tournament or some other significant plot events.

Good news everyone...
Reaction score
Welcome back Pokefannn. I do believe I remember you. And yes about the thread, we should get it going again.

I don't know if I'd call it very far-fetched, as RadioactivCharmander did, but I would call it far-fetched. I retain a measure of hope, though. Anyway, they would definitely have to re-introduce her. They would also have to barrage us with hints to give the noobs a sense that there's something going on between them. It would also have to be more than a few episodes; six or seven maybe. They would probably have to put it at the end of the series, as the only way they could justify it happening is with a time skip (according to them, he is still ten). As for how it would occur, I still go with them showing Ash and Misty's child(ren) going off on their own pokemon journey, the whole series coming full circle, and all that. I personally think it would be the perfect way to end the series.

realisation
Reaction score

Eh, I'd love it to become canon in a vague way that it's never blatantly stated whether it is or not- but that destroys canon's terms of being solid and fact that they are lovers, so I, like the others, could envisage an arc, but maybe where he met up with Misty after touching down from Kanto from the last region he was in, and on the journey home to Pallet town for the last time, somehow along the way, they realise they are in love with one another. They can announce it to his Mum, or something so we all know. I can see a whiff of it in some sort of epilogue to the Pokemon Anime series, without a reappearance beforehand. The latter is slapdash, but not completely unrealistic if it were to become canon.

Reaction score
Whoa, this place has been dead!

Back on topic, I've been thinking about pokeshipping again... It always resurfaces in my mind, no matter what I do. :( I would love to see how everyone here would react if it's ever revealed Misty would come back to the anime for good. :)

⊱✿Creepin'
Reaction score
Hey guys! It seems the thread has lack its activeness these days. I made a banner!

So, I'm just wondering, does anyone here wants a fanart contest?

Pokéshipper
Reaction score
So, I'm just wondering, does anyone here wants a fanart contest?
That sounds like a good idea. I'm no artist unfortunately (music, yes - art, no) but I'm sure we can get people like Heiccu from deviantArt to take part. It would probably get the thread going again too

Oh and great banner by the way!

Good news everyone...
Reaction score
A fanart contest would be cool. Too bad I have little talent for drawing. But...

WE NEED A TOPIC!

In your mind, what is the most salient or convincing pokeshipping hint?

To me, it's Pokeball Peril. It's just so blatantly obvious. They had to have been trying really hard to get the idea of pokeshipping out there to write/animate that the way they did.

realisation
Reaction score
@●•٠·.31245/">Ash♥●•٠·; I think the art contest is a great idea, though I mightn't be a great artist, I'll give it a shot, especially since I've haven't posted a Pokeshipping picture online since a year ago, if you decide to go ahead with the plan.

Have you guys heard of the Pokemon Radio Show? Well, it is a broadcast hosted by the TRio and it airs in a localised spot in Japan on Mondays. It is available to listen to elsewhere the day after it airs. Anyways, they bring in guest speakers sometimes. Today, they brought in Misty's Japanese VA, Iizumi Mayumi and Satoshi hosts the episode. Anyways, they discuss Iizumi Mayumi, "Satoshi" and "Kasumi" chat to one another about Pokemon (Psyduck and Pikachu respectively) not liking to be in their Pokeballs (you know how Psyduck used to escape from his every so often?). Kasumi also mentions that she'd like to see Satoshi again.

(I'm not really giving you an analysis, just the relevant bits, so here's the thread for the broadcast. Also, no I don't know any Japanese, I didn't listen to this episode; I looked to the thread for information. There isn't a translated script on the episode as of yet, I don't think).

It's not too romantic, just thought it was kind of cute. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
In your mind, what is the most salient or convincing pokeshipping hint?
Pokemon 2000. That's what got me interested in it to begin with. It's like a sub-plot in the movie. I think that's when Pokeshipping was in its prime and had full potential...

EDIT:

Have you guys heard of the Pokemon Radio Show? Well, it is a broadcast hosted by the TRio and it airs in a localised spot in Japan on Mondays. It is available to listen to elsewhere the day after it airs. Anyways, they bring in guest speakers sometimes. Today, they brought in Misty's Japanese VA, Iizumi Mayumi and Satoshi hosts the episode. Anyways, they discuss Iizumi Mayumi, "Satoshi" and "Kasumi" chat to one another about Pokemon (Psyduck and Pikachu respectively) not liking to be in their Pokeballs (you know how Psyduck used to escape from his every so often?). Kasumi also mentions that she'd like to see Satoshi again.

(I'm not really giving you an analysis, just the relevant bits, so here's the thread for the broadcast. Also, no I don't know any Japanese, I didn't listen to this episode; I looked to the thread for information. There isn't a translated script on the episode as of yet, I don't think).

It's not too romantic, just thought it was kind of cute. What do you guys think?
First off, wow, I did NOT expect a same-minute post in this thread! I seriously didn't see your post when I was making mine. That's crazy. Anyways, that's really cool! I guess they were just getting in-character for the radio show by using the character's voices? And Misty wants to see Ash again? How neat lol. Interesting news.

Last edited: