• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokeshipping General Discussion

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been a PokeShipper before I even knew what shipping meant. And in the rules, I see you can post in old threads, otherwise I would've made a new one for my OTP.

Anyways.... If Ash and Misty would get together, which of them would confess their feelings first?

The way things look now, I think Misty will have to take the lead here. Ash is dense and probably unaware of his feelings for Misty, so Misty will have a lot of explaining to do. If Ash would finally understand and realize he has feelings for her as well, he could open up.

However, if someone else (Ash's mum, Brock) would find a way to make Ash understand, I can see him visiting Misty and confessing in a very clumsy way, literally repeating Delia's/Brock's words.

I often have this headcanon of Brock talking to Ash about love and sex when Ash is a few years older, and Ash then suddenly realizing he wants Misty to be more than a friend.

Doesn't help that Misty's sisters were massive knobheads. What they did was practically undermine her and made her feel inferior, then drop all their responsibilities to do their own thing was really selfish on Misty, especially when she had plans of her own.

Even so, Misty obvious likes being the Gym leader now. You can tell she is friendly with Daisy in the specials and Misty probably wouldn't leave the Gym even if she could again. I think the way the writers wrote Misty after she left is she's content with her Gym leader life and realizes she's grown distant from Ash and his journies. Which would kinda make sense, she hasn't seen him since the Hoenn era and that was 5 generations ago (and 15 years in real life for us).

I guess it makes sense. Misty hasn't been with Ash for 75% of his adventures now, she's missed so much of it that she's likely grown distant from him. I know we can ignore the fact that the anime doesn't have strong continuity anymore to begin with, but I like to think pokeshipping is just something to look back upon during Kanto/Orange Islands before the writers knew the anime would go on for 20 years.

It's kind of ironic actually. Misty went a 12 year gap between appearances in the anime. Her last appearance was in mid-AG in 2005, and she didn't appear again till 2017. She missed 3 series in a row completely (DP, BW and XY), as well as Battle Frontier and the first 40 eps of SM. Between that and Movie 20 purposely removing Misty/Brock, I thought that was the final nail in the coffin for them. So this was quite a surprise.

To think most of us were still young teenagers the last time Misty appeared in the anime, and now most of us are 25-30 year old adults. It's almost like our entire lives went by in the literally 12 years between appearances she had. I still remember when DP was airing people thought she was going to get a cameo back then and meet Dawn or something, lol.

So now we know all the SM characters are going with Ash back to Kanto, so I guess this isn't an original trio reunion after all. Judging by the preview Ash was more excited to see Brock again than Misty too, oddly enough. Although Pikachu does jump into Misty's arms.

Considering this is only 2 episodes, I'm getting the feeling this is all going to be rather rushed. Team Rocket and the 5 SM characters plus Alola Oak and the teacher are all coming back too, so this doesn't give Misty/Brock much time to get focus. Then the second ep will be the 1 on 1 battles. In terms of shipping, I don't expect much at all, it'll probably be similar to Misty's AG cameos where there was no real shipping.

I think the writers should have made this an arc instead of just 2 measly episodes. I can't see this being anything but rushed as hell.

Just watched the preview, and let's just say that I'm hyped! Jigglypuff is making an appearance so maybe Ash and Misty will fall asleep onto each other? They also included the scene from gotta catch you later where Misty gives Ash the napkin, so even if we don't get any proper hints we might get some satisfying moments!

Last edited:
Aww hey Scott! I knew you'd be deliciously angsty that Kasumi is returning despite your many & varied prophecies over the years that she never again would! I suppose I should have also guessed you'd channel that angst into this thread. Is it too much you to ask you (with the utmost politeness and respect) to take your negativity to the general anime section and allow the rest of us to enjoy our happiness for the next 3-or-so weeks?

it's a bit of a missed opportunity they show Ash running to hug Brock instead of Misty.
BUT THIS WILL NOT RUIN MY HAPPINESS <3

Alright, everyone - if your intentions for posting in this thread are to attack or be excessively negative about the shipping of this thread (you are allowed to post if you do not necessarily like it, as long as you are respectful), please refrain from attacking the shipping or being overly negative about it in this thread as people who like the ship congregate here to discuss it.

However, please refrain from calling out users and trying to create drama. If you have an issue with how someone is posting or what their motivations are for posting in this thread, please report the post but do not try to provoke people. Let's try and keep the atmosphere upbeat, after all.

Ok, I've been thinking (whilst wholeheartedly repenting of course @Likeitornot. :notworthy:)...

After Shudou's blogs were unearthed in 2009 I decided firmly to put my Pokeshipping feelings to bed. What with Kasumi's perpetual absence it was pretty easy.

Even after the announcement this week I felt fairly cool. But you know what really set me off? Pikachu hugging Kasumi like that! Pikachu's affection towards Kasumi is at least equal to Satoshi, if not slightly more. I know I'm retreading familiar ground here, but nothing else in the world could be more a mark of how important Kasumi's friendship with Satoshi is!

That's why this is the only possible Satoshi x character-who-isn't-Pikachu endgame for me.

Not sure if I ever posted here (I might have before the Bulba overhaul) but just wanted to say I'm thrilled Misty will be coming back. :3 I usually avoid spoilers since I watch the dub and I know it'll be a long time before I know if anything of even minor note happens in the episodes when she's back, but I really hope they'll give us something to quell the thirst we've had for all these years. I know we probably won't get anything huge but even just seeing them bickering again will be enough for me~

I know we probably won't get anything huge but even just seeing them bickering again will be enough for me~

Judging by the preview alone I don't think there will be any bickering at all. Misty's personality seems to be modified to fit SM's writing style in the same way Ash's was. She seems a lot more friendly and girly. And also the art style makes her look "cutesy" where she looks more soft spoken, gentle or polite. Also the scene where she runs away scared from the Caterpie with the huge anime expression makes that obvious too. All that tomboyish/tough aspect of Misty's personality seems completely gone.

And as I said, the SM Ash is nothing like the Ash from the original series, so his interactions with Misty or Brock won't even be the same. Look at the way Ash is overexcited and runs to hug Brock in the preview, he would never do something like that in any previous saga.

Misty's original personality doesn't mesh well with SM's writing style, so she's probably just going to be friendly and happy the whole way through. You can see that already where she waves to Ash.

Judging by the preview alone I don't think there will be any bickering at all. Misty's personality seems to be modified to fit SM's writing style in the same way Ash's was. She seems a lot more friendly and girly. And also the art style makes her look "cutesy" where she looks more soft spoken, gentle or polite. Also the scene where she runs away scared from the Caterpie with the huge anime expression makes that obvious too. All that tomboyish/tough aspect of Misty's personality seems completely gone.

And as I said, the SM Ash is nothing like the Ash from the original series, so his interactions with Misty or Brock won't even be the same. Look at the way Ash is overexcited and runs to hug Brock in the preview, he would never do something like that in any previous saga.

Misty's original personality doesn't mesh well with SM's writing style, so she's probably just going to be friendly and happy the whole way through. You can see that already where she waves to Ash.

Hmm, well, I've not seen the preview yet. And that may be the case, but we can't judge everything from just one preview. It's difficult to judge everything Misty may or may not do just from a few seconds and a new design. Even if it's minor, they may be able to slide something in. If Kiawe exists with his regular outbursts, I'm sure Misty can function somewhat like her old self.

I agree that since Ash is heavily changed, she could possibly be as well so that they will be able to mesh, but it's not really guarenteed and it may not be drastic or anything. Besides, her being friendly and happy toward Ash wouldn't be a bad thing, either XD I'm up for anything between the two~

Potentially unpopular Ash x Misty opinion incoming:

I honestly hated their bickering, it was perhaps my least favourite aspect of OS Misty and the first thing which drew me towards Brock as my preferred companion between him and her. Most of the time it just came across as completely uncalled for from her end, so I couldn't really catch any shippy evidence out of this. Really hoping here that we get her nicer and generally more mellow AG era self during the two episodes instead of a complete reboot in personality, especially now that Ash's rookie days are long gone (it's gonna look seriously jarring to see today's Ash subjected to her jabs of yore).

If her reappearance is pulled off well enough, I suppose I can't complain. At least it doesn't seem as forced as Dawn in BW.

Last edited:
Well I just watched the episode, and honestly there was barely any Ash/Misty interaction at all. Which is odd, so no shipping.

This ep did create a new ship though...Misty/Lana...but I guess that's for another thread. :p

Back
Top Bottom