• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokeshipping General Discussion

Aw,Ilove the interview on Miya. Glad to know more about her and pokeshippingXD

stopping by to post a bannerXD Been a long time posting here.. and it's quite a silent days here eh?
wantedtoseeyou.jpg

Nice art! Seems like Miya's in full form.

I'll try my hand at another topic, even though my last attempt failed. :/

So I was digging through the Pokeshipping tumblr the other day and I found this magazine article about Pokeshipping. It's from a now out-of-print magazine called "Beckett Anime Collector," which I'd never heard of, so I don't know much about it, other than the vague information on the internet. It was a comprehensive anime news magazine, basically. Here's a few screens of the article in the spoiler tag:

I can't tell if it's an opinion piece or not. The evidence they cite is a bit strange. I personally wouldn't use Misty hiding from bugs behind Ash in Veridian Forest, as it's weak at best, or Misty's Song, as it's a completely dub-added thing. It makes it seem like the author doesn't really know all that much about it, so it doesn't seem like an opinion piece, but maybe they just aren't well versed (though you'd think they'd do some research). Also, I hardly know anything about the magazine. I'd be curious to know their track record when it comes to couples. The last sentence also sounds like the cryptic language that magazines use when they know something but they're not supposed to make any positive claims about it.

Thoughts?

P.S. Here's a transcription of the article if anyone can't see the images or read the text:

ANIME AMOUR

Ash and Misty

A classic case of friendship, or something more?

Ash and Misty from Pokemon - are they friends? Or is there something more to their relationship?
(caption on a picture of Ash, Misty and Macy: Misty's never jealous. No, not Misty.)
[...]
Their Story

At the beginning, Ash broke Misty's bike. Misty began to follow Ash to make sure he would pay off his debt to her. Needless to say, they didn't get along. They bickered constantly, and it's hard to believe that these disputes laid down a foundation for such a strong friendship. Misty joined Ash in his journey and traveled by his side. Their friendship grew stronger as the series progressed, and they relied on each other not only for friendship, but for support as well.

Evidence

One of the first places these two travel together is Veridian Forest. The forest happens to be home to bug Pokemon. It just so happens that one of Misty's greatest fears is of bugs. Every time a bug Pokemon would appear before them, Misty would hide behind Ash. Considering that they didn't like each other very much at the time, this showed the first signs of a relationship between them.
(caption on a picture of Ash and Misty holding hands from the episode "Tower of Terror": Misty doesn't seem "bugged" to hold Ash's hand.)

By far the most evidence of their possible relationship comes from Pokemon: The Movie 2000. Ash, Misty and Tracey are traveling in the Orange Islands, but find themselves saving the world. In this movie, a girl named Melody appears. When she first meets Ash, she gives him a kiss on the cheek. This makes Misty furious, but when asked if she's Ash's girlfriend, she denies any such a relationship. Misty spends the next day being very jealous of Melody. Later in the film, Misty tells Melody, "Ash is never really alone because... he's got me."
(caption of a picture of Ash shoving a pokeball in Misty's face: There's plenty of laughs with this pair.)

More evidence of their relationship is "Misty's Song" from the 2.B.A. Master soundtrack. The song is about Misty's feelings toward Ash. Take a look at some of the lyrics:

I wanna' tell you what I'm feeling, but I don't know how to start
I wanna' tell you, but now I'm afraid that you might break my heart
Oh, why should anything so easy, ever be so hard to do
I wanna' tell you what I'm feeling, and to say that, I love you

(caption on a picture of Misty dragging Ash to shore in P2K: Come storm or high water, these two stick together)
(caption on a picture of Ash and Misty in team rocket uniforms: They even impersonate team rocket together!

The Future

Misty leaves the series in Pokemon: Advanced to take over as the leader of the Cerulean City gym. It seems that she thinks about Ash a lot. Just because they're separated doesn't mean there's no hope for these two. Even if their paths are different, I have a feeling the place they end up will be the same.

Well hello everyone. My name is pokefannn. I'm not new, I've just been lurking on the forums and haven't posted in about a year. There hasn't been any posts since August, so I figure the forum could use a new topic:
Suppose that the good people who produce the anime decide to make poke shipping canon. How do you think this would occur in the anime?

(Yes, this is a lousy question, but it would be nice to see some activity here sometime before Halloween)

Good to see you on this thread again, pokefann (we joined these forums on the same day, I remember). Time to get this thread going again.

Suppose that the good people who produce the anime decide to make poke shipping canon. How do you think this would occur in the anime?

The possibility of that happening is unfortunately very far-fetched at this point in time, but if they were to indeed make it canon, I imagine they'd bring Misty back for a couple of episodes in the middle of the series and fill these episodes to the brim with hints to reinstate the ship's following among younger viewers. Then, they'd make it canon in the series finale, when Ash goes back to Kanto (not necessarily the end of the whole anime, but maybe just the end of the BW series). Announcing beforehand that Misty was returning for the finale would bring the viewing figures through the roof, and that's exactly what the company wants.

I agree that poke shipping is unlikely to ever become canon. ( I'd go as far to say that the odds of Misty no reappearing in any more episodes is much greater than the odds of her reappearing.) However, if the producers did decide to make it canon, I think they would have Misty reappearing in one of the introduce-current-character-to-last-series-main-character arcs. They would work in as many hints as possible in the arc. They would probably wait to make it canon until the last episodes before a regional tournament or some other significant plot events.

Welcome back Pokefannn. I do believe I remember you. And yes about the thread, we should get it going again.

I don't know if I'd call it very far-fetched, as RadioactivCharmander did, but I would call it far-fetched. I retain a measure of hope, though. Anyway, they would definitely have to re-introduce her. They would also have to barrage us with hints to give the noobs a sense that there's something going on between them. It would also have to be more than a few episodes; six or seven maybe. They would probably have to put it at the end of the series, as the only way they could justify it happening is with a time skip (according to them, he is still ten). As for how it would occur, I still go with them showing Ash and Misty's child(ren) going off on their own pokemon journey, the whole series coming full circle, and all that. I personally think it would be the perfect way to end the series.

Eh, I'd love it to become canon in a vague way that it's never blatantly stated whether it is or not- but that destroys canon's terms of being solid and fact that they are lovers, so I, like the others, could envisage an arc, but maybe where he met up with Misty after touching down from Kanto from the last region he was in, and on the journey home to Pallet town for the last time, somehow along the way, they realise they are in love with one another. They can announce it to his Mum, or something so we all know. I can see a whiff of it in some sort of epilogue to the Pokemon Anime series, without a reappearance beforehand. The latter is slapdash, but not completely unrealistic if it were to become canon.

Whoa, this place has been dead!

Back on topic, I've been thinking about pokeshipping again... It always resurfaces in my mind, no matter what I do. :( I would love to see how everyone here would react if it's ever revealed Misty would come back to the anime for good. :)

Hey guys! It seems the thread has lack its activeness these days. I made a banner!

moveon.jpg

So, I'm just wondering, does anyone here wants a fanart contest?

So, I'm just wondering, does anyone here wants a fanart contest?

That sounds like a good idea. I'm no artist unfortunately (music, yes - art, no) but I'm sure we can get people like Heiccu from deviantArt to take part. It would probably get the thread going again too

Oh and great banner by the way!

A fanart contest would be cool. Too bad I have little talent for drawing. But...

WE NEED A TOPIC!

In your mind, what is the most salient or convincing pokeshipping hint?

To me, it's Pokeball Peril. It's just so blatantly obvious. They had to have been trying really hard to get the idea of pokeshipping out there to write/animate that the way they did.

@Ash♥●•٠·; I think the art contest is a great idea, though I mightn't be a great artist, I'll give it a shot, especially since I've haven't posted a Pokeshipping picture online since a year ago, if you decide to go ahead with the plan.

Have you guys heard of the Pokemon Radio Show? Well, it is a broadcast hosted by the TRio and it airs in a localised spot in Japan on Mondays. It is available to listen to elsewhere the day after it airs. Anyways, they bring in guest speakers sometimes. Today, they brought in Misty's Japanese VA, Iizumi Mayumi and Satoshi hosts the episode. Anyways, they discuss Iizumi Mayumi, "Satoshi" and "Kasumi" chat to one another about Pokemon (Psyduck and Pikachu respectively) not liking to be in their Pokeballs (you know how Psyduck used to escape from his every so often?). Kasumi also mentions that she'd like to see Satoshi again.

(I'm not really giving you an analysis, just the relevant bits, so here's the thread for the broadcast. Also, no I don't know any Japanese, I didn't listen to this episode; I looked to the thread for information. There isn't a translated script on the episode as of yet, I don't think).

It's not too romantic, just thought it was kind of cute. What do you guys think?

Pokemon 2000. That's what got me interested in it to begin with. It's like a sub-plot in the movie. I think that's when Pokeshipping was in its prime and had full potential...

EDIT:

Have you guys heard of the Pokemon Radio Show? Well, it is a broadcast hosted by the TRio and it airs in a localised spot in Japan on Mondays. It is available to listen to elsewhere the day after it airs. Anyways, they bring in guest speakers sometimes. Today, they brought in Misty's Japanese VA, Iizumi Mayumi and Satoshi hosts the episode. Anyways, they discuss Iizumi Mayumi, "Satoshi" and "Kasumi" chat to one another about Pokemon (Psyduck and Pikachu respectively) not liking to be in their Pokeballs (you know how Psyduck used to escape from his every so often?). Kasumi also mentions that she'd like to see Satoshi again.

(I'm not really giving you an analysis, just the relevant bits, so here's the thread for the broadcast. Also, no I don't know any Japanese, I didn't listen to this episode; I looked to the thread for information. There isn't a translated script on the episode as of yet, I don't think).

It's not too romantic, just thought it was kind of cute. What do you guys think?

First off, wow, I did NOT expect a same-minute post in this thread! I seriously didn't see your post when I was making mine. That's crazy. Anyways, that's really cool! I guess they were just getting in-character for the radio show by using the character's voices? And Misty wants to see Ash again? How neat lol. Interesting news.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I'll be planning to host the fanart contest, since we haven't got much of the activity here. But I'll see first if others would agree to have the contest. XD
I'll answer the question later~

I've always considered Pokéball Peril to be the best hint. It's the least ambiguous hint in the PokéShipping arsenal. In the old days, it was so easy for people to try and claim that hints were added in the dub, because...they were. But this, this was a hint that we could see had to be in the original, since it wasn't purely based on dialogue.

Not that it helped us a lot, mind you. TVTropes didn't exist back then, and it was always a struggle trying to get people to accept that these kinds of sequences were a cliche commonly used in anime and manga.

Eyy!! I've been following this thread for quite a while now, even though I've never posted anything. Hello guys!

Ehh... I don't know really. In the begining when I re-watched the first season, I wanted Ash and Misty to be like brothers and sisters and got a little worried everytime there were these obvious hints... But as the time went by, I started to accept somewere in the second season that they had feelings for each other. And now I'm here, and won't get peace in my soul before they get together. The episode that finally convinced me was "Misty meets her match". I talk about them like they're real people, but to me they are kinda...

And a fanart competition?? Sounds fun! I paint like poop, but I guess I could come with some not too serious pictures made in paint... But I've actally thought about making some pokéshipping music though... Maybe I should...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom