• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokeshipping General Discussion

The drawing is really cute, I must say.

Thank you so much:)
We haven't got a topic here and I guess we've been silent for some weeks.
I haven't got a good topic for today but since I was wondering, I could give this a shot. If you could describe Ash and Misty's relationship using some of the lyrics (could be one liners of your choice etc.)of a song (any song) what would it be?

I leave this just in case, I haven't made any banner now..so I'll just leave another sketchy draft.

If you could describe Ash and Misty's relationship using some of the lyrics (could be one liners of your choice etc.)of a song (any song) what would it be?

I always thought Dear God, by Avenged Sevenfold (think what you want of them, they have a special place in my heart) was pretty spot on with describing Ash and Misty's situation from Ash's perspective. A country-esque song by a metal/hard rock band about leaving loved ones behind to go on tour. The comparison should be pretty clear to pokeshipping.

If you could describe Ash and Misty's relationship using some of the lyrics (could be one liners of your choice etc.)of a song (any song) what would it be?

I always thought Dear God, by Avenged Sevenfold (think what you want of them, they have a special place in my heart) was pretty spot on with describing Ash and Misty's situation from Ash's perspective. A country-esque song by a metal/hard rock band about leaving loved ones behind to go on tour. The comparison should be pretty clear to pokeshipping.

The song Faithfully by Journey is almost identical in its message and I think it fits their relationship from Ash's perspective.

Yeah, when you think about, those lyrics are perfect, though strangely I've never made the connection before now. And might I say, your music taste is amazing.

Yeah, when you think about, those lyrics are perfect, though strangely I've never made the connection before now. And might I say, your music taste is amazing.

Why thank you! I made the connection when I first heard it in '07 (wow, that's a long time ago). That was around the time when I came back to Pokeshipping after Misty left.

Speaking of which, I was perusing the Serebii.net Pokeshipping thread, and I came across this blog post, which I found interesting. It pretty much articulates better than I could why I think both that Pokeshipping won't become canon until/unless the series ends and that Misty won't be coming back as a main character for any number of seasons in the future (again, unless it's the last). Thoughts?

Why thank you! I made the connection when I first heard it in '07 (wow, that's a long time ago). That was around the time when I came back to Pokeshipping after Misty left.

Speaking of which, I was perusing the Serebii.net Pokeshipping thread, and I came across this blog post, which I found interesting. It pretty much articulates better than I could why I think both that Pokeshipping won't become canon until/unless the series ends and that Misty won't be coming back as a main character for any number of seasons in the future (again, unless it's the last). Thoughts?

That's a very interesting take on the matter. Unfortunately it does seem to leave us with that unavoidable ultimatum: Let Pokéshipping become canon or let the Pokémon franchise carry on indefinitely. I'm sure even some of the most militant Advance or Pearlshippers would agree that Ash and Misty's crushes on each other were evident in the Original Series, and then strayed away from it when they realised Misty probably wasn't coming back. Most people at the time probably thought Pokéshipping becoming canon was inevitable, but now, 15 or 16 years down the line, it looks as if Pokéshipping can't happen without killing the franchise completely. It's gone on for so long now, and Misty hasn't been a regular character on the show for at least 10 years; I bet the majority of people who still watch the anime now are too young to even know who Misty is.
I'm not saying it's impossible, and I don't think the writer of that blog is either, but that's a factor I don't think we ever took into account. If we were given our way, would we effectively ruin one of the most successful franchises of all time?

That's a very interesting take on the matter. Unfortunately it does seem to leave us with that unavoidable ultimatum: Let Pokéshipping become canon or let the Pokémon franchise carry on indefinitely. I'm sure even some of the most militant Advance or Pearlshippers would agree that Ash and Misty's crushes on each other were evident in the Original Series, and then strayed away from it when they realised Misty probably wasn't coming back. Most people at the time probably thought Pokéshipping becoming canon was inevitable, but now, 15 or 16 years down the line, it looks as if Pokéshipping can't happen without killing the franchise completely. It's gone on for so long now, and Misty hasn't been a regular character on the show for at least 10 years; I bet the majority of people who still watch the anime now are too young to even know who Misty is.
I'm not saying it's impossible, and I don't think the writer of that blog is either, but that's a factor I don't think we ever took into account. If we were given our way, would we effectively ruin one of the most successful franchises of all time?

I don't think the argument has anything to say about whether Pokeshipping will happen or not. In fact, I think its just as likely as it ever was. What it does have bearing on is when it happens. I always thought it would happen at the end of the series, but if I had to give a reason, I would have said "it just feels right." But this gives a more concrete reason. I also thought that bringing Misty back as Ash's traveling companion for a few years, only to have her leave again, would never work. Also, I don't think it would ruin the franchise. It would end their neat little cross-media marketing scheme, but the games will certainly outlive the anime. My guess is that the revenue the anime brings in for itself and the games will start to drop below the costs, and it'll just have to end.

I also like how all the commenters seem to take the "Ash and Misty like each other" thing for granted. Nobody contests it.

I don't think the argument has anything to say about whether Pokeshipping will happen or not. In fact, I think its just as likely as it ever was. What it does have bearing on is when it happens. I always thought it would happen at the end of the series, but if I had to give a reason, I would have said "it just feels right." But this gives a more concrete reason. I also thought that bringing Misty back as Ash's traveling companion for a few years, only to have her leave again, would never work. Also, I don't think it would ruin the franchise. It would end their neat little cross-media marketing scheme, but the games will certainly outlive the anime. My guess is that the revenue the anime brings in for itself and the games will start to drop below the costs, and it'll just have to end.

I also like how all the commenters seem to take the "Ash and Misty like each other" thing for granted. Nobody contests it.

I'm sure that most Pokémon fans aged 18 and over would consider the "Ash and Misty like each other" thing in the Original Series to be a given - especially since it was more-or-less treated as a subplot in the Orange Islands series, when the writers didn't have any new games or anything to promote.
It's likely that Pokéshipping will happen at the end of the anime if it happens at all, but I doubt that at this time Nintendo will consider it a necessity to the series, and if there's still a sizable fanbase for the anime, they'll more than likely keep it going indefinitely.
Of course, there's still hope for Pokéshipping since Takeshi Shudo doesn't write for the anime anymore, and he was, I'm sure you'll agree, one of the main obstacles concerning Pokéshipping (seemingly without any valid reason aswell). There's also a greater abundance of flashbacks from the Original Series in BW, so you never know, with an increased awareness of Misty's character newer fans might want to see everything come full circle.

Interesting article. I've always assumed that any Ash ship that became canon would do so at the end of the anime's run to avoid introducing new plot points that would detract from the advertising purposes of the anime. This article did a very good job explaining this. However, I though that Misty left because Shudo decided to nix a main character following the Jhoyo arc (we had a discussion about this like a hundred pages ago).

Hey everyone! Loving the new layout. And I always thought that PS would happen at the end of the anime, if it happened at all, much like the rest of you. I think Misty was axed because they were starting a new arc of the series and with that new arc had to come a change to the lineup. They did the same thing with Brock by replacing him with Tracey in the Orange Islands.

Hey everyone!
I don't know if my eyes were right..take a look at this:
wahsiashandmistyinihmmquestionmark_zpsf0870d53.jpg

It's from Teppo's site,.. I don't know, but is that Ash and Misty in a gender bending theme?XD

Here's a little sketch of mine:)
Photo0058_zps7e40c993.jpg

Inspired from Ash and Iris' flower and apple exchange from last week's episode. It was cute, and my mind just can't stop imagining things and this is what I came up with:)

and a banner I made based from last week's episode.
untilthedaywemeetagain_zps1c2785e2.png

Though the Butterfree episode didn't have Misty [or Brock] or any of the scene where Ash releases his butterfree, in the flashback, I made this little a not-so-good banner.XD It was a nice episode though we haven't got a chance to see the flashback back then when Ash had his caterpie up to the point of becoming a butterfree..Still it was a nice scene to remember.

Here's some official art from one of covers of the "anime screenshot" manga books that makes the PokeShipper in me very happy.

AF9lYAL.jpg

What is the 'anime screenshot' manga you speak of? Is it only for the Original Series or has it been going on for a while now?

What is the 'anime screenshot' manga you speak of? Is it only for the Original Series or has it been going on for a while now?
I only have the first volume translated by Nintendo (adaptations of episodes 1-6), but as far as I know it's only for the original series. Though recent movies (like the DP ones) have animanga adaptations as well. It's basically a bunch of screenshots from the anime turned into a comic book.

Here's another cover with Satoshi and Kasumi:

oXMmAWd.jpg

Credit goes to Pokescans.

Last edited:
I only have the first volume translated by Nintendo (adaptations of episodes 1-6), but as far as I know it's only for the original series. Though recent movies (like the DP ones) have animanga adaptations as well. It's basically a bunch of screenshots from the anime turned into a comic book.

Here's another cover with Satoshi and Kasumi:

oXMmAWd.jpg

Credit goes to Pokescans.

Huh. I had no idea they did that. I like that first one. It's cute. I feel like I've seen the second one around somewhere.

I've already seen those pics. And yes, I was shocked back then when I saw those. I never realized that there are still covers like that and for that, it was nice to see some of them that have Ash and Misty in it.XD

I have a question I'd like to ask all of you:

If you all remember this...

[video=youtube;b70GRNYnacI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b70GRNYnacI[/video]

...would you have been happy if this actually happened? Apparently Satoshi Tajiri originally wanted the main characters to age and their journey be rounded off so that the series could follow a new group of characters each season, and this video seems to suggest that Ash and Misty eventually got married and had a daughter which would effectively end the Original Series. Pokéshipping would be indisputably canon, but we wouldn't have seen nearly as much of Ash and Misty in the anime as we do/did in the anime in its current form. What does anyone think about this?

...would you have been happy if this actually happened? Apparently Satoshi Tajiri originally wanted the main characters to age and their journey be rounded off so that the series could follow a new group of characters each season, and this video seems to suggest that Ash and Misty eventually got married and had a daughter which would effectively end the Original Series. Pokéshipping would be indisputably canon, but we wouldn't have seen nearly as much of Ash and Misty in the anime as we do/did in the anime in its current form. What does anyone think about this?

You know, when I read the question, I was like "of course, how could I not have been." But the more I think about it, the more I feel I have to say that I wouldn't. I went to see that movie for my seventh birthday party. One: I was seven, I wouldn't have have cared (I didn't even notice the possibility of Pokeshipping until the Orange Islands arc, and didn't begin to have a connection to it until around 2001-2002). Two: I wouldn't have cared that much for the rest of my life. Pokeshipping has been with me for a long while, it's helped me through a few tough times, and I owe a lot to it. So I'm kind of glad that it didn't happen. Yeah, Pokeshipping would be canon, but, were that the case, I might not know what the phrase "Pokeshipping is canon" even meant, nor would I care. Plus, we wouldn't have had all that Orange Islands/Pokemon 2000 goodness.

On a side note: I thought it was just supposed to end after that, not continue with new characters.

Satoshi Tajiri has nothing to do with the anime or this trailer, and that's a rumor with no real basis to it.

But yes, I would have liked for that to have happened instead. :p

Back
Top Bottom