• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokéwalker Discussion Thread

What do you think of Pokéwalker?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sketch

Vintage
Reaction score
Now that the game is out, I feel a real thread about the Pokéwalker and how it funcions is required.

I think it's really easy to navigate, I have caught several Pokémon with it. I'm curious about how a Pokémon levels up...every Pokémon I've had in it has only grown about one level. It's really easy to gain watts...I managed to get about 100 or so walking this afternoon.

The Yellow Forest Event IS available right now. I currently have my Aipom in my Pokéwalker in the Yellow Forest. Just go onto the Mystery Gift as usual and download the card. It will show up as a course. Pick it up from the green delivery person just like any other Mystery Gift.

So how do those of you with the Pokéwalker feel about it? Do you like it?

it seems good if i am walking around the block.i am playing but still walking.i do not have it but i pretend:disgust:.

Yes, this is a good idea.
How the Pokéwalker worked was relatively up in the air before launch, and now that it's launched people aren't saying anything about it because there's the main game to report on.
This is the only thing about HGSS that I actively want to have explained to me.
Well... Besides sprites

Yes, this is a good idea.
How the Pokéwalker worked was relatively up in the air before launch, and now that it's launched people aren't saying anything about it because there's the main game to report on.
This is the only thing about HGSS that I actively want to have explained to me.
Well... Besides sprites

Ask and you shall receive

Pokewalker
Pokebeach said:
• The PokeWalker seems to be able to detect abuse. I have done a few tests with shaking the PokeWalker in a one minute time span. Each time I shook it very fast for one minute, it would only add six steps. When I shake it at a slower rate for the same one minute, it goes up nearly 150 to 200 steps. These results appeared in multiple tests. Each time the PokeWalker was shaken at an extremely fast rate over the one minute, exactly 6 steps were added.
• If you have all Pokemon recorded in your PokeDex, Professor Oak will ask you to take a picture with him.
• If you present Togepi or Togetic to Professor Elm, he will give you an Everstone for having hatched it.
• PokeRadar Pokemon
• Edge of the Night Sky: Clefairy, Hoothoot
• Residential Area: Magnemite
• Pretty Oceanside: Wooper, Staryu
• Rugged Path: Onix, Machop
• Noisy Forest: Spearow, Bellsprout
• Refreshing Field: Sentret, Nidoran (M), Kangaskhan
• Sometimes as you are using the PokeWalker, your Pokemon will find Watts and give them to you. It seems that this mainly only happens when the PokeWalker comes out of sleep mode after a long walk (though that needs to be confirmed). Another interesting feature of the PokeWalker is that it seems that random Pokemon can also jump into your PokeWalker. If no Pokemon is present inside of the PokeWalker sometimes a wild Pokemon will appear out of nowhere and join you. You do not need to catch these wild Pokemon, they are yours once they join you.
• Residential Area is unlocked at 500W. The next course is unlocked at 1,000W.
• Pretty Oceanside is unlocked at 200W. The next course to be unlocked is at 500W.
• PokeRadar Pokemon for Edge of the Night Sky: Clefairy
• Jirachi is now in HeartGold, about to be checked for anything in the PokeWalker. The second that Jirachi is in your game Edge of the Night Sky will be unlocked. There is no need to transfer Jirachi to the PokeWalker to unlock the course.
• PokeRadar Pokemon for Rugged Path: Onix, Machop
• PokeRadar Pokemon for Noisy Forest: Spearow, Bellsprout
• PokeRadar Pokemon for Refreshing Field: Sentret, Nidoran (M), Kangaskhan
• At 50W you can unlock Rugged Path. You get to unlock the next course once you save up 200W.
• If you lose a battle against a wild Pokemon when using the PokeRadar on the PokeWalker, you will be penalized additional Watts.
• After reading the manual for the PokeWalker, there are a few more things that should be known. When the PokeWalker is not in sleep mode it counts the number of steps correctly, however, it does not update the display all the time (It updates very rarely). This is not the case for when the PokeWalker is in sleep mode. The PokeWalker goes into sleep mode if you have not touched any buttons for 60 to 90 seconds. To take it out of sleep mode you have to hold the center button for more than 0.5 seconds. When in sleep mode it counts continuously, and then displays the number walked total once taken out of sleep mode.
• To bring a Pokemon back from the PokeWalker you have to go back to the Connect to PokeWalker screen. Once there select the first option. It will then start searching for the PokeWalker's signal. Now, on the PokeWalker itself, you have to go to the third option to the left on the main menu. Put the PokeWalker right next to the cartridge again and hold down the middle button until your Pokemon successfully makes it back to the game. All remaining Watts will be transferred to the games and added to the total.
• The third option from the right on the PokeWalker menu (Information) will remind you of a few things if you have forgotten. Once you click on Information you are brought to a screen that displays: Trainer Name, Current Course, and Time of Day. If you click on the right button on the PokeWalker it will display how many steps you took the day before at the top, and then total steps at the bottom. Pressing right again will tell you the same information for two days ago. You can keep pressing right until you get to seven days ago, which is the max amount it will save at one time.
• The default settings for the PokeWalker is so that it makes sounds. This can be changed by going to the last option on the PokeWalker main menu; Settings. Sound settings are the first option and contrast settings are the second. If you choose sound settings, you will get the choice of either Mute, Medium Volume, or Full Volume.
• You receive Watts as you walk on the course. These Watts can be used in one of apparently three ways. The first way is the PokeRadar, a mini game that costs 10W. A second way is the Item Finder, which is another mini game costing 3W. Finally, the last use of Watts is bringing them back to your DS. These Watts that you bring back will build up to satisfy requirements for unlocking new courses. In order to unlock the third course you must have walked over 50 steps and have at least 50W total.
• Now that your Pokemon is inside of the PokeWalker, it is important to know what is what. The main screen for the PokeWalker consists of 6 options. These six options are: PokeRadar, Item Finder, Connect, Information, Held, and Settings.
• To connect to the PokeWalker for the first time, go to the Connect to PokeWalker option as described on the list below. Once there it will give you a small little introduction and then let you pick your Pokemon. After you have picked the Pokemon you would like to bring, you can pick one of the two default courses. The first default course is Refreshing Field and the second is Noisy Forest. After you have chosen which course to go to (and confirm it) your DS will tell you to hold down the middle button on the PokeWalker for five seconds. You must have the PokeWalker lined up with the cartridge for them to communicate. Be careful because it is very sensitive. As you hold the button an animation will proceed as your Pokemon is transferred.
• Once you have written your first save file, there will be six options that you can select from on the start up screen. These six options (from first to last) are Continue, Start New Game, Connect to PokeWalker, Mystery Gift, Wi-Fi Settings, and E-mail Settings.
• You can only take Pokemon out of your PC box to put into the PokeWalker. Because of this, you have to wait until you own more than one Pokemon to use the PokeWalker.
• The PokeWalker has a tab in it when you get it out of the box, you need to remove the tab for it to start up. When it starts up you will notice a little face. This face is only displayed before you have set up the PokeWalker for the first time. If the face is frowning, then the PokeWalker is sending a signal but not getting a response. If the face is indifferent, then the PokeWalker is not sending out a signal at all. If the face is happy, then it is sending a signal and getting a response from the game cartridge. Whenever the PokeWalker's screen turns off, press down the middle button for around 2 to 3 seconds to turn it back on. (This goes for any time when using the PokeWalker, not just for setup)
• Before going over setup and use of the PokeWalker, there are some notes that should be mentioned. Unlike previously thought, the PokeWalker does not give 1 experience point per step. It appears to be more or less somewhere around 1 experience for every three steps. Another point to keep in mind is that the PokeWalker does not constantly update your steps as you walk them, instead it updates the number of steps every once in a while.
• The PokeWalker comes with two back plates that you can interchange. One of the back plates is plain and the other has a hook on it. You will need a screwdriver to change the back plate. This is also how you change the battery.

Sprites
hgss-trainers.png

Batteries was also something I was wondering about. How can it be changed? I'm assuming that since the PokeWalker's probably not very powerful I guess it doesn't use much power so it'll take a few years before one dies?

I think it's a plain watch battery and they can be changed by opening the back panel with a screwdriver

I wanted to bring this up cause I don't think I've seen this info anywhere.

Last night I had forgotten to put a pokemon on the pokewalker, but needed the watts so I put it on anyways. I checked it after a few hours and there was a "!" bubble and so I pressed the center button, and all of a sudden, I have a free wurmple. The point is, if you don't have a pokemon on there, one may 'find' you and want to follow you!

Last night I had forgotten to put a pokemon on the pokewalker, but needed the watts so I put it on anyways. I checked it after a few hours and there was a "!" bubble and so I pressed the center button, and all of a sudden, I have a free wurmple. The point is, if you don't have a pokemon on there, one may 'find' you and want to follow you!

That's nice; does the Pokémon you got depend on the current course you're in?

I wanted to bring this up cause I don't think I've seen this info anywhere.

We already knew this. D:

That's nice; does the Pokémon you got depend on the current course you're in?

Yes.

Pokewalker discussion?

I'm going to catch a Kangaskhan at the start of the game and use it to beat Falkner.

Lawdy

Pokewalker discussion?

I'm going to catch a Kangaskhan at the start of the game and use it to beat Falkner.

Lawdy

I honestly didn't ever see a Kangaskhan in the first area. My friend saw them like crazy, but I never once found one... >_<

When the battery does eventually die out and require replacing, do we have to collect Watts/etc all over again? Or are we assuming that the thing will remember stuff like that?

If there is a Pokemon on it when the battery dies, will we lose that Pokemon?

If there is a Pokemon on it when the battery dies, will we lose that Pokemon?

The pokemons digital soul will wither, and with its last breath, it will ask you why you chose to transfer a wurple over to your ds, instead of it before the battery dies.
/drama

I like the pokewalker, i dont have it, but ill enjoy it. Though I bike more that jog, but maybe this will make me take it up.
This encoragment to activity is pretty much what the wii shoulda done with the wii, if it haddent failed. Im looking forward to it.

I think we will. Unless it somehow saves the Pokémon's data...

The cartridge itself does keep track of who's on the pokewalker. Also, I was briefly flipping through my manual to see what i could read and noticed that on the pokewalker page it shows that at some point an empty battery icon will appear in the top left hand corner of the screen when the battery is about to go.

I figure, if the battery dies before replacing it you'll loose the steps, watts, captures, and items, but because the cartridge knows what pokemon is out it will be able to retrieve it/re sync with the pokewalker and return your pokemon to the box as if it hadn't gone in the walker.

But also realize these are running on watch batteries and are NOT constantly running as much. First off, realize how few times you need to change your watch's battery. Secondly, realize the pokewalker saves energy by turning off the screen after a set time unless you press something. I doubt the batteries are going to die anytime soon.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom