• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokken Tournament Discussion Thread

If I end up getting a Nintendo Switch, I may pick this game up again.

My curiosity is leaning towards this question: What of the Pokkén pad players? I'd imagine multiplayer in this version will be handled by online as well as local wireless between two systems this time around, as opposed to the LAN option (or, heaven forbid, the single system Pro Controller/Pokkén pad and GamePad option).

I'm really hyped to play Pokken Tournament DX! September can't get here soon enough! :LOL: I'm curious as to which Pokemon will end up being my main.

I don't actually know, but I do hope that they change it, or at least not lock characters/Support Pokémon behind it again. After all, it's be a bit of a pain for those of us who've already finished the origonal's to have to trudge through that stuff again...

Oh, and any of you lot who're interested in some matches on the regular version before this one is released let me know, because I certainly am.

It seems to be just a port of the original, with extra characters. I imagine everything else is going to be pretty much the same.

I thought that too, but I wasn't all to sure myself. I sure hope everything else is the same because the story mode looked really fun and I'm not interested in online fighting. Thanks for the response :)

For anyone that is thinking of purchasing this game on Nintendo Switch, I can personally recommend this game to anyone that thinks they may enjoy it. I played this on Wii U, and I enjoyed it immensely. The gameplay is fun, the graphics are very nice, and anyone that loves character customisation in games as I do, will really enjoy that feature as well. The only downside on the Wii U version was that online battles were laggy for me. The Switch seems to have much better online capabilities, and so far I have barely ever experienced any lag at all in any online game.

Nintendo is making a lot of ports to the Switch (Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors) for most Wii U games due to the fact that they received "little recognition." The Wii U was an awful idea of a console, so it's only natural they want to take their best sellers and put them on the Switch where they can really shine.

Plus for people like me who never had the original game, you get everything + DLCs and extra features, which makes it doubly rewarding. I just got it three days ago as a late birthday present and I'm loving it to death. The way your avatar actually looks like a cool anime character instead of the dopey-faced protagonist in Sun/Moon is fantastic, your clothing customization, hair, accessories... everything. They put so much more thought and effort into a spin-off than the main series, and that's really saying something. The game's rated 10+ for fantasy violence, sure, which is slightly above Pokemon's usual rating, but even the latest Mario Odyssey was rated 10+, and that's a game typically geared for family audiences.

The gameplay is so intricate and detailed, and yet it's much simpler to grasp than some fighting games like Soul Calibur or even Tekken itself. You basically shift between light attacks, strong attacks, a handful of moves and a jump, and even for just getting the game I'm already learning how to pull off a few combos. In general the graphics and music are all so fresh, and I love the feel of urban-science-fiction; that is, living in a normal city with highly advanced tech, like the Battle AR.

Hey, guys. Do you think that Pokkén Tournament will receive its sequel? Why? This is because both its Wii U and deluxe Switch version have sold at least one million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling video game. If not, why?

You sound awfully convinced that Namco Bandai is even considering a sequel at this time. Consider that a videogame sequel is expected to (for lack of a better word) "evolve" over its predecessor -- it's generally not enough to just recycle the same game but with more characters on the roster. That would be analogous to a sequel film (or book) just rehashing the exact same plot as the original, but with a few new faces.

So, thomaswiencek, instead of asking us, what would YOU like to see in a sequel to Pokken Tournament?

Oh, my apology about that. I'd like to see new playable fighter Pokémon in the Pokkén sequel, including Arbok, Jigglypuff, Alakazam, Golem, Steelix, Pinsir, Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Feraligatr, Ampharos, Heracross, Houndoom, Swampert, Gallade, Aggron, Medicham, Manectric, Milotic, Banette, Glalie, Salamence, Metagross, Deoxys, Infernape, Lopunny, Drapion, Abomasnow, Serperior, Krookodile, Zoroark, Haxorus, Golurk, Bisharp, Hydreigon, Greninja, Pangoro, Malamar, Tyrantrum, Hawlucha, Goodra, Noivern, Lycanroc, Mudsdale, Golisopod, Silvally, Kommo-o, Buzzwole, Naganadel, and that's all. Do you think?

...is that all?

I mean, this is obviously a Pokemon related game, and basically no one would complain if they got to play one of their favorite critters in battle. I'd be thrilled to see more Pokemon with -- let's be blunt -- non-humanoid body forms in a fighting game. Suicune's cool, but how about its two counterparts (Raikou is my favorite)? Decidueye's okay, but how about a real bird like Pidgeot (or Staraptor)? What kind of moveset would you give Dragonair?

But in terms of actual changes to mechanics and new game modes, maybe there could be a mode where you simply pick two Battle Pokemon (no Support Pokemon) and can simply switch between them (with some cooldown)? Maybe their individual HP bars are scaled down a little (as compared to a single Pokemon)...

How much do you think both the Wii U and deluxe Switch versions of Pokkén Tournament cost to develop?

Wanted the game at first for Wii U, but then I saw it costs three times as much as Tekken Tag Tournament 2, which has way more features and characters, so I got that instead. Also, it was at the time where they made clear that none of the new Pokémon were going to be released.

How much do you think both the Wii U and deluxe Switch versions of Pokkén Tournament cost to develop?
For sure, the Switch version entailed less development specifically because it was basically just a port with minor new features and a few new fighters (most of which were previously added to the game's arcade version, and thus, already developed).

Wanted the game at first for Wii U, but then I saw it costs three times as much as Tekken Tag Tournament 2, which has way more features and characters, so I got that instead. Also, it was at the time where they made clear that none of the new Pokémon were going to be released.

The original Pokken is still an incredibly fun game, even without the extra Pokemon of DX. I have Pokken DX now, but I am yet to play it. Just hoping it is on par with the Wii U version.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom