• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokken Tournament Discussion Thread

Yeah, he commented a lot on the console release on how they nerfed the homing of Astonish (or whatever that aerial Pokémon Move was) among other things about the character, because he played the arcade version a bunch.

Of course, we also have things like DKWill maining Machamp, Nairo's Mewtwo, TKBreezy's Gardevoir and Mew2King wanting to pick up the game just to play as Mewtwo.

I took my Sceptile out for a short bout of online battling, and ... the good news is I wasn't matched against any real experienced battlers, but still, ouch.

First opponent: Garchomp. This one really went down to the wire, round 3 and both of us on our last HP but he landed the finishing blow first.

Second opponent: Pikachu. I need a better mousetrap, I can't beat Pikachu. (Coincidentally, my first loss in the single-player mode was to a Pikachu.)

Third opponent: Lucario. It just so happened he needed 1 more win to rank up, but ... NOPE, not from me. :) Both rounds were really close, but in the end, he fired a fully-charged (and Synergy Burst) Aura Sphere my way right as I activated my Leaf Blade and sliced right through it for the KO.

(And, on a totally unrelated note ... what if Zygarde 10% was added as a fighter?)

Last edited:
^If we do get DLC, I wouldn't doubt that they make it of a Gen VII Pokémon for promotional reasons. Zygarde 10% would be a little disappointing imo, but it'd be a unique moveset for sure. inb4 1000 hit Burst Attack.

Zygarde 10% would be a little disappointing imo, but it'd be a unique moveset for sure. inb4 1000 hit Burst Attack.
And imagine if his Burst mode was to transform into 50% form. (But, then the devteam would almost be designing two separate characters....)

And imagine if his Burst mode was to transform into 50% form. (But, then the devteam would almost be designing two separate characters....)
Didn't stop them changing Mega Gengar's entire moveset to the point where it doesn't look like the same Pokémon...

On that note, with my matches with EO today, I've come to the realisation that I think Technical characters are my favourite archetype. Towards the end, I decided "screw it" and chose Gengar, and he decided to follow suit not long after! We were having fun not knowing what the hell we were doing as we figured out how to use him.

Does this mean I'll pick up Gardevoir soon? Maybe not too soon, but I think I definitely want to because her zoning is one of the most tricky and powerful of them all.

Indeed, they were some amusing games, @TouyaShiro, we should use characters we have no idea what we're doing with more often. :p

Also, in a completely unrelated matter, after we had that match, I went on to do some more battles in Friendlies and, aside from a pretty good Shadow Mewtwo player, there is something that I found of note to mention: I had a couple issues with the camera doing wierd things. First, after my opponent was hit by my Victini assist, the camera stayed locked in the sky for a second, not letting either player see their characters, even after theirs hit the ground. And second, after I (using Garchomp) hit my opponent with a Sand Tomb and my opponent (a Lucario) used Aura Sphere, hitting me out of the Sand Tomb animation while leaving the Lucario frozen (which was amusing enough by itself)... But apparently the camera didn't realise Sand Tomb was no longer happening and kept focused on the Lucario's frozen body for a few seconds, even after I was able to move.

Well then. This is stuff that should probably be noted on stuff like the Nintendo tech support forum or maybe forwarded to Nintendo or Namco via email or mentioned in a Tweet, just in case nobody else sees it - even if the chances of them seeing it is slim. Weird that you encountered a camera glitch like that...

As for characters I have no idea how to play, I think Machamp fits that bill quite nicely - this character in particular I don't think I've touched at all, not even in the random matches between me and my friend who was over the other day. Also, I realise what the hell I was doing wrong against your Garchomp and using that tornado move (which I assume is Sand Tomb?) - I needed to sidestep to avoid the practically unblockable grab setup, however slim the chances of actually escaping that move may be.

Playing Shadow Mewtwo has gotten me on an impulse to press the R button in the air for some sort of action, so I think Weavile may not be for me after all since it sends me straight down and I'm not used to it - I much prefer the temporary invincibility or the airdash as with Gengar and the Mewtwos, respectively. And finally, for as much as Gengar's dash does make you invincible, it's not actually that fast compared to some others like Mewtwo.

Well, I'm not entirely sure the Victini thing was actually a glitch and not jsut what happens if you actually hit them with the full brunt of it since I haven't actually managed to do that before, but I'm pretty certain the second one wasn't supposed to happen. Eh, I find it more amusing then something that'd be harmful to the game or something.

Yeah, I'm not really that fond of Machamp either just because he's popular and I'm a hipster when it comes to characters, thus I haven't used him once, but maybe next time we'll see if that opinion can be changed. :D

Oh, and if you're refering to Garchomp's command grab (Down-A), right? Because if you attack on getup you should be able to escape just fine.

Oh, that's Sand Tomb? No, I was referring to what you kept doing in Field Phase with the sand projectile that attacked from behind, where if blocked you'd just rush in and grab the opponent instead.

Ah, that. It's his Charged Aerial Y... And as for how to get away from that, either dash away as you mentioned, win the mindgames or get in after I've let it go and attack me before it reaches you. though you can cancel it out with a projectile as it's going overhead, which is why I like to do it when I initate a Phase Shift and you can't do that much.

Based on the anime, I'm pretty sure that sand tornado is Sandstorm.

Yeah, I'm not really that fond of Machamp either just because he's popular and I'm a hipster when it comes to characters
I hate Machamp with a passion. I'm fine with Machop as the initial form, but I hate what it evolves into. Hate hate hate.

Machamp is life :^}

I main Chandelure so it's really nice to switch things up and navigate projectile mazes as Machamp.

This game is really projectile heavy, though it makes sense given it's Pokemon

That's the sad part to me. I'm this close to actually giving up on Pokkén (without even trying to use Chandelure, whom I recently asked EO for tips on) and actually trading it in for Star Fox Zero, because I've come to the realisation that I'm not gonna catch up.

Ah, that is unfortunate. Well, I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do, Touya.

Though that also means I may have to find a new sparring partner. @Gaga. You main Chandelure. I main Chandelure. We can be friends.

Does anyone else use the Pokken controller by Hori? I just got mine last week and found that it has improved my play.

I don't, I just use the game pad. I like it. So there.

Also, I may as well share what my stats are when it comes to my Garchomp, in the event that @TouyaShiro still cares/someone else here is trying to use Garchomp.

When it comes to skill points, I went for 90 in Attack and the rest in Synergy. After all, Gwrchomp's HP is among the highest in the game, so I figured I may as well deal more damege.
As for supports, I use Dragonite/Victini, purely because three of his moves do more stuff when they get a crit then just hitting a neutral opponent.

Some of my latest runs through single-player mode definitely had some come-from-behind victories.

I don't get why Charizard's Seismic Toss is allowed to do over 150 damage. I've been KO'd by that on more than two occasions.

In one match, I took a hit from Charizard's Burst Attack and actually survived (with like 50HP), then proceeded to win the round.

In another match, Gardevoir finished me off with her Burst Attack, but I was so low on HP the initial hit KO'ed me so the full thing never got a chance to execute. Next round, I finish her off in exactly the same way, Burst Attack KOs Gardevoir outright without engaging the full move.

Also got defeated badly by a Pikachu Libre (I still cannot properly fight one of those things), but in the next round I turned it around so hard that not only did I KO Pikachu perfectly I did it in just 15 seconds.

I really gotta use Psybeam more often. Fire Blast's startup time is becoming an annoyance.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom