• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Poland against "homosexual Teletubbies". Dangerous precedent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peno

Reaction score
Here

You may said that Poland is stupid homophobic country and you will right. But even if in Poland they take this as joke, I'm affraid if they really censored Teletubbies, it may be precedent for other countries to. Especially for USA. I did not want to get the point when we will dicused if Pokémon Anime should be banned for promoting beastility just because Ash and Pikachu have such close friendship. Now, I'm affraid the stupidity gets the point it going to be really big issue.

Teletubbies is like, off the air...been like since 2000.

Yeah, teletubbies took a nice steep drop in popularity when the late Jerry Failmuch pointed out to America that Tinky-winky must be gay because it has a purse and has an upside down triangle.

How the heck does one get bestiality from Pokemon? So Satoshi and Pikachu are best friends. That doesn't mean they have hot horizontal pika-luv in their sleeping bag! Sheesh. -_-

This is not about Teletubbies. This is about censoring TV show for promoting homosexuality. If they do this once, they do it again. And then it can be precedent for other counties to do this in other cases too. Especially since USA tend to fight against homosexuality just like Poland do.

How the heck does one get bestiality from Pokemon? So Satoshi and Pikachu are best friends. That doesn't mean they have hot horizontal pika-luv in their sleeping bag! Sheesh. -_-

I wrote this just because it's the same stupid logic like it is in this teletubbies case ;-)

This is not about Teletubbies. This is about censoring TV show for promoting homosexuality. If they do this once, they do it again. And then it can be precedent for other counties to do this in other cases too. Especially since USA tend to fight against homosexuality just like Poland do.
The USA is pretty well divided on the issue of homosexuality. Don't be so quick to dismiss us. Not EVERYBODY believes it's a sin against humanity, lol. Besides, our shows aren't usually taken off the air for homosexual tendencies. If they're unpopular they are. But they aren't forcibly removed just because they "might" have homosexual undertones. :p

The USA is pretty well divided on the issue of homosexuality. Don't be so quick to dismiss us. Not EVERYBODY believes it's a sin against humanity, lol. Besides, our shows aren't usually taken off the air for homosexual tendencies. If they're unpopular they are. But they aren't forcibly removed just because they "might" have homosexual undertones. :p

Not by the government.

Remember that ABC show a few years ago called "Once and Again"? I never watched it, but I remember there was something about a lesbian kiss on it. The General Manager of the local ABC station (WSET) was a member of Jerry Falwell's church and he requested that this episode not be shown. It did not air on WSET.

- Trip

That's an individual station thing, I guess. Roseanne, Will & Grace, Buffy -- all managed to have gay kisses without anyone bursting a blood vessel (the audience members, not the cast :p).

Hah, I remember by newspaper had a comic with St. Peter dressed as Tinky Winky to "play with" Jerry Falwell. :p

You may said that Poland is stupid homophobic country and you will be right.

That's not right! I feel offended.

Yes, Polish politics are stupid and homophobic (especially Roman Giertych). But not the entire nation.

But most people are OK.

We have gays in Poland, too.

I, of course LAUGHED at the 3\/I|_ Gay telletubies thing. But it's just one stupid woman, not an entire country!

Can I say about Americans that "ALL AMERICANS ARE WAR CHILDREN WHO LOVE WARS WITH EVERYONE" just because Bush started the War with Iraq? Of course I can't! So, don't say the same (or similar thing) about MY country because you're offending all my friends.

Is that the case in Poland or are you just being America-centric?

I saw an interview with the creators of Teletubbies and they can't even take the claims seriously.

"I noticed (Tinky Winky) has a lady's purse, but I didn't realize he's a boy."
"At first I thought the purse would be a burden for this Teletubby ... Later I learned that this may have a homosexual undertone."

I fail to see how a character carrying around a "lady's purse" makes a show inappropriate for children. And it's not like owning clothes worn by the opposite gender automatically makes a person homosexual. Most cross-dressers are actually heterosexual.

You may said that Poland is stupid homophobic country and you will [be] right.

While I agree that this whole "controversy" is incredibly stupid, you really shouldn't make generalizations about whole countries like that. I don't live in Poland, but I doubt that every single person who lives in Poland is a homophobic bigot.

That's not right! I feel offended.

Yes, Polish politics are stupid and homophobic (especially Roman Giertych). But not the entire nation.

But most people are OK.

We have gays in Poland, too.

I, of course LAUGHED at the 3\/I|_ Gay telletubies thing. But it's just one stupid woman, not an entire country!

Can I say about Americans that "ALL AMERICANS ARE WAR CHILDREN WHO LOVE WARS WITH EVERYONE" just because Bush started the War with Iraq? Of course I can't! So, don't say the same (or similar thing) about MY country because you're offending all my friends.

While I agree that this whole "controversy" is incredibly stupid, you really shouldn't make generalizations about whole countries like that. I don't live in Poland, but I doubt that every single person who lives in Poland is a homophobic bigot.

Well, maybe I exaggerate here. Maybe I should wrote Polish government is homophobic, but still, there's big Roman Catholic influence in Poland which caused many people in Poland are strick in issues like homosexuality, birth control and abortions more then any other europeean country. I of course know there's opposition for this in Poland, but it's barely heard outside of Poland.

In Poland it's the same. I saw Teletubbies on TV many years ago (on 2001, IIRC)

So, I really don't know what's the point.

Maybe becase there where different government in times Teletubbies where still on the air in ope TV?
And by the way, can autorities dictatete cable TV's to stop aired somethig?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom