• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Poll - Do you prefer the "Red" or "Blue" Pokémon games?

Do you prefer the "Red" or "Blue" versions?

• Total voters
Empirically, I have to go with "Red"; I have Yellow, Silver, SoulSilver, Crystal, and LeafGreen for non-"red" games, but two of those are third versions, LeafGreen I only have because I couldn't find a copy of FireRed, and of the remaining two, one is a remake of the other. That said, Silver/SoulSuilver have long been my favorite(s) (though Black might just displace it in the near future).
Point is, for every pair other than Gen II where I've had to think about which version to get, I wound up with the "red" version.

apart from the obvious yellow/crystal/emerald/platinum choices i've preferred...

red or blue? red just because it was my first
gold or silver? silver - based solely on the colour not the pokemon
ruby or sapphire? hated both but kyogre is better so sapphire
firered or leafgreen? leafgreen - well i'd played red & blue already!
diamond or pearl? both equal - probably pearl as palkia is awesome
heartgold or soulsilver? very very equal... impossible to choose
black or white? preferring black at the moment due to black city & reshiram

i always buy every version but going by the above it's red 2 / blue 4 - this surprised me!

It's interesting how the fora prefer the "blue" version. Usually, in sales, the "red" version does better.

I have Ruby, FireRed, Diamond, SoulSilver, and White. Three Reds to two Blues (and two Yellows: Emerald and Platinum).
And I've played the six before RS more times than I remember, to the point that I don't remember the difference.

Regarding the ones post-G2, The differences aren't that big (except with RS). I just pick the ones with the exclusive 'Mons I like more. It was the "red" versions, but since then I've shifted to the "blue" ones.

1. N/A (Didn't get into Pokemon in time)

2. Gold (Red)

3. Sapphire (Blue) / FireRed (Red)

4. Pearl (Blue) / HeartGold (Red)

5. Black (Red)

Looking back, I see a pattern...

It's interesting how the fora prefer the "blue" version. Usually, in sales, the "red" version does better.

i prefer the "blue" versions but ironically i have more "red" versions (due to buying 2 versions of red)

I don't have preferences. The third version is the one I've wanted the most, though.

I generally buy the Red more, or at least make that the main game until the third version comes out; I still kind of wish I'd gotten White, though. My Black city is a load of woo garbage.

I generally buy the Red more, or at least make that the main game until the third version comes out; I still kind of wish I'd gotten White, though. My Black city is a load of woo garbage.

i've got both & i prefer black city to white forest (also reshiram is an absolute beast on wifi - zekrom can't boost its speed sadly so it's not as dangerous) you made the right choice imo dude

Let's see...

1st Gen: Neither - they're too similar. And awful.
2nd Gen: Gold, if only because of Ho-Oh.
3rd Gen: Sapphire, LeafGreen
4th Gen: Pearl, HeartGold
5th Gen: White

...So that makes... 2 "Red" games and... 4 "Blue" games.

Last edited:
I have a pretty even mix of both... Red, Ruby, FireRed, and Diamond from the red side; and Silver, SoulSilver and White from blue. So I guess I don't really prefer one over the other; I choose based on Pokemon availability or mascot (or, lacking anything from those categories that make a real difference to me, favourite colour, lol).

I am equal...

I've got:

Gold n' Silver
Ruby n' Sapphire and Emerald too
Diamond n' Pearl, whilst not forgetting Platinum
HeartGold, SoulSilver, they're the re-incarnations of my originals see...

And of course, both Black and White... White being my main play-through game.

However, in the terms of which game I get first, it's always been the "Blue" version ;)

Blues for me.
1. Red - long lost
2. Silver and Crystal
3. Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, however Sapphire is my main (Until I gave it awy xD)
4. Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Pearl main
5. Black, White, White main.

So only Red is a misfit, though I usually get both.

I prefer Pokémon Blue because it was the first game of Pokémon that I Played.

Blue, Gold, Ruby, Fire Red, Pearl, Soul Silver, White.

I... just buy whichever of the two games appeal to me the most.

Red < Blue
Gold > Silver
Ruby < Sapphire
FireRed < LeafGreen
Diamond < Pearl
HeartGold > SoulSilver
Black > White

Looks like Blue. The way I see it, I generally pick the underdog version; the one that's the least popular. The one exception is Red and Blue. Blue was a slightly better seller than Red, but I prefer Blue.

Red < Blue
Gold > Silver
Ruby < Sapphire
FireRed < LeafGreen
Diamond < Pearl
HeartGold > SoulSilver
Black > White

Looks like Blue. The way I see it, I generally pick the underdog version; the one that's the least popular. The one exception is Red and Blue. Blue was a slightly better seller than Red, but I prefer Blue.

I know that Blue was a better seller in the U.S., however, I'm not sure about worldwide. After all, Blue was known as Green in Japan, and I belive Red outsold both Green and Blue in Japan.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom