• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Poll: Should Ash/Satoshi get a(n) (additional) female main rival?

Poll: Should Ash/Satoshi get a(n) (additional) female main rival?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Well the title should say everything. The question I want to ask you people is:

Should Ash/Satoshi get a(n) (additional) female main rival? (who has a crush on him).

I for my part actually wish it will be Aoi.

Hope to see many replies.

I'd like to see him with a female rival, but it doesn't look like it'll happen this region.

I wonder if fan reaction to Zoey will determine whether they give a main character a female rival again. A lot of people in the fandom don't seem to like Zoey, so I don't know if they'll try it a second time but this one for Ash.

I think it would be a nice touch. It would provide some good love/hate tension, but in a different way then we have seen before.

That'd be a welcome change for Ash's main rival in generation five to be a girl, I guess. It wouldn't be the female player, though.

That'd be a welcome change for Ash's main rival in generation five to be a girl, I guess. It wouldn't be the female player, though.

They could always use the FR/LG girl, since she'd never appear in the anime otherwise.

The writers hate Brendan and Lucas, so they'll probably hate the 5th gen boy too. I agree that the 5th gen girl will be a main character rather than a rival.

Too bad Nanako/Casey wasn't used much as Sato's rival. I did considered it during the early Johto episodes, but with so few appearances and less interactions, there's really nothing to say to this.

I wonder what's holding them back from Sato having an intense rivalry with the opposite sex? They finally created a true rivalry with Shinji and I feel Jun would be another person to trigger the rivalry.

In any case, I would like to see how it will go. Now to consider what characteristics his female rival would have.

I wanted to vote "just give us back GARY!" but there wasn't this option...

Additionning a female rival now would be too much, i guess. There are Paul, Jun, and maybe Nando.
But, as usual, Ash will meet a new rival during the league. Maybe this would be a girl. But you know, this is the kind of rival you don't really care about since you don't know him/her. Rivalry is also a matter of time. You wait for the final battle "Ash-Paul" during months, so when it starts, that makes a thrill. Each time they meet, the tension climbs up and makes the fans impatient.

So to conclude, I'd prefer if the female rival is in Gen V, but she should be a real rival, not a last-minute one

I think things are fine as they are now. Since Shinji isn't directly based off of a video game character, I have a feeling the writers plan to have him be here for the long haul.

As much as I like Paul the writers run the risk of his character becoming stale if they keep him too long into the series. There's only so long you can keep up his attitude toward Pokemon and Ash without it running dry.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with Paul in the Sinnoh league, but they really are building up Ash to defeat him, moreso than with Gary back in Kanto.

The more I think of it, the more likely it seems Paul is only going to be here for the DP story arc and then his character will be wrapped up.

Even if Satoshi beats Shinji (which I think he will) it doesn't mean the rivalry will be over. Shinji will just say he got lucky, or one battle doesn't mean anything. Then they can both go off to the next region to continue trying to prove their training method is the best.

What they really should do with Paul in my opinion is let him join Ash and Dawn (and Brock if there's no way to remove him) for the BF saga (after he changes but keep his personality after Ash beat him with Pika/Infernape VS Electivite/Magmortar in the league' final battle)
He won't challenge the BF or something, just be there with them a learn more about Ash's way with Pokémon
After that I guess he'll leave and go to challenge the Kanto BF to catch up with Reiji and Ash's achievements
It'd be nice to have Paul as one of the main characters for a while
I already can see Paul play with Pika when they're alone and then all of a sudden turn cold again when Ash enter and Pika gets confused XD

Frankly, I can't see Paul ever slimming down to Ash's friendliness. I mean, it's like taking Sasuke from Naruto, and making him friends with Naruto. It doesn't flow, because Paul, in this case, wants strong pokémon, and nothing else. He is also sick of Ash's 'childishness' when it comes to pokémon, so the chances of Paul letting up is... Rather low.

But that's not the topic. If Ash would get a female rival (Which would be nice, I suppose), she should be a tomboy, someone who's unlike the other female protagonist we had, but strong enough to have little to no attraction to Ash at all. If Ash were to have feelings for her, I would not mind. I mean, then, I would not have to just support GoggleShipping. ;>_>

If Ash would get a female rival (Which would be nice, I suppose), she should be a tomboy, someone who's unlike the other female protagonist we had, but strong enough to have little to no attraction to Ash at all. If Ash were to have feelings for her, I would not mind. I mean, then, I would not have to just support GoggleShipping. ;>_>

Ok for a tomboy, but i don't want her to look like lesbian zoey.

But would she be a contester or a trainer??

Um... From what I've gathered, Ash = Trainer. So a rival of Ash would normally be a trainer in the same sense, correct?

That's what i thought, but that would mean twice more gym battle episodes?

It would be nice if we had a recurring strong female trainer in the series. Most of the girls are coordinators, like May, Dawn, Zoey and now Jessie, so there honestly have never been any strong female trainers in the anime.

And Misty doesn't really count, before anyone mentions her. She became strong once she took over the Gym, not so much while she was traveling with Ash. The other problem is we didn't get to see her battle too often, which is too bad.

How many of these threads do we have? Isn't there another one like this? It's about time that after four regions they'd mix it up by now, with Ash having a female rival. If Dawn became a league trainer, it would've been cool.

If Dawn became a league trainer, it would've been cool.

yeah. I want to see piplup overwhelmed by mayleen's lucario! Take it, piplup!

More seriously, i don't want dawn as a trainer. I'd prefer a new one, in the next BF, or in Gen V. But ASAP is too late! we won't have the time to discover her personnality before the sinnoh league

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom