• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Poll: What will 2013 have in store for Pokemon

Poll: What do you think 2013 have in store for Pokemon?

• Gen III remakes

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Anoucement/start of Gen VI

Votes: 38 33.3%
  • Console 3D arena game

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Classic spin-off (MD Ranger etc)

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • A new spin-off

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Nothing

Votes: 5 4.4%

• Total voters
Why is Gen. VI so popular? A new generation comes every 4-5 years, not after one or two. Jeez.

Let's take a look at the actual gaps (based on Japan's release dates) between each generation:

Gen I (Pokemon Red/Green): 1996
Gen II (Pokemon Gold/Silver): 1999
Gen III (Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire): 2002
Gen IV (Pokemon Diamond/Pearl): 2006
Gen V (Pokemon Black/White): 2010, (Black 2/White 2): 2012

The generation gaps so far have never been more than 4 years. An estimation of 3-4 years between each generation would be more accurate. So 2013 is not an unreasonable starting date for Gen VI.

I fully expect sixth generation games to come out sometime next year. I think that B2/W2 being released internationally the same year they came out in Japan, Meloetta being used for a short instead of getting a movie role, Genesect being revealed in the initial teaser trailer for the next movie and Genesect being available to download points to a new generation coming next year. It wouldn't be too early considering we have had three year gaps before. I wouldn't be against R/S remakes and I'd love for those to be released, but there's more signs pointing to the sixth generation. I'm just not sure if they'll be released next summer so that they can be released internationally in the fall again or if they'll release them in the fall and then they come out in 2014 internationally. It probably depends on how long they've been working on the games and what the anime has planned for after the Unova League.

Since a new Mystery Dungeon game will be released this year, I could see them making a new Pokemon Ranger game for the 3DS. I'd like that since those games are usually pretty fun. Maybe they'll have a Stadium-like game for the WiiU or another surprise spin-off game for the 3DS.

I'm not gonna state any facts but in my opinion i think gen 3 remakes in 2013 and 2014 gen 6

although this may not be it might be the opposite way around

OK, here's my prediction for early Gen VI:

January/February 2013: The first Gen VI Pokemon are revealed. Two of them are revealed, and they are both Eeveelutions.

March/April 2013: The first Gen VI games are revealed, along with two new Pokemon (the new Lucario/Zoroark line).

May/June 2013: More information about Gen VI is slowly revealed, such as the new starters, the player characters, and a few new moves. In June, four or five more Pokemon are revealed along with one or two new abilities.

July/August 2013: The run-up to the game's release, with information such as the first two gym leaders, the region, more Pokemon, and a couple more cross-gen evolutions are revealed as a teaser.

September 2013: The first two Gen VI games are released for the 3DS.

March 2014: The two paired versions are finally released internationally, and the RS remakes are finally revealed.

Unfortunately, I don't see gen III remakes coming out in this generation. (as much as I would like that)

But I can see gen VI at the very least getting announced. I'm not sure if they will come out yet, but I think that we will at least get the box legendaries and the titles by the end of 2014. Also, Mystery Dungeon is coming, so I can see another spin-off or two.

I think it's possible for Ruby/Sapphire from Generation III to be remade in Generation V.

Yes. My predictions about remakes:
FRLG = 8 years after RBGY
HGSS = 10 years after GSC
RS remakes = 12 years after RSE

RS remakes will likely to be released in 2014 instead of 2013, so there will be a new spinoff or Generation VI in 2013.

Masuda will be on Smash next month. Could it possibly be an announcement about a future game coming in 2013? @Silktree mentioned that Gen V was announced in January of 2010 which was four months after the release of HGSS, and it's already been three months since B2W2 were released so maybe there is actually a chance that the next main game could possibly (total speculation, not saying it will probably happen by any means) be announced.

Masuda could just be there for a pretty lame reason though, remember that time he was there just to reveal the Mewtwo WIFI event? Just thought it was worth mentioning though, because if they intend on releasing future games in Japan in June from now on - its definitely a possibility that if Gen VI are indeed the next main games to be released, they'll announce Gen VI as early as October. Gen V was announced in Jan 2010 and released in September, giving a 9 month release window from announcement. If Gen VI is revealed in October, it leaves an 8 month period until June in which it can be released (or, they could even do it in July if they wanted to have the 9 month wait, and release it internationally in November). Just a thought.

They could announce Generation VI next month and still release the games in September. With the exception of Generation V, the previous generations had been foreshadowed for well over a year. I think that the main reason to make the announcement soon is to encourage as many people as possible to buy a 3DS this year.

If Generation VI were slated for a June release date, I don't see why Genesect would be featured in Movie 16 at all (not even in a minor role). Of course, for all we know the trailer was completely misleading like the one with Lugia and Ho-Oh.

Masuda will be on Smash next month. Could it possibly be an announcement about a future game coming in 2013? @Silktree mentioned that Gen V was announced in January of 2010 which was four months after the release of HGSS, and it's already been three months since B2W2 were released so maybe there is actually a chance that the next main game could possibly (total speculation, not saying it will probably happen by any means) be announced.

Masuda could just be there for a pretty lame reason though, remember that time he was there just to reveal the Mewtwo WIFI event? Just thought it was worth mentioning though, because if they intend on releasing future games in Japan in June from now on - its definitely a possibility that if Gen VI are indeed the next main games to be released, they'll announce Gen VI as early as October. Gen V was announced in Jan 2010 and released in September, giving a 9 month release window from announcement. If Gen VI is revealed in October, it leaves an 8 month period until June in which it can be released (or, they could even do it in July if they wanted to have the 9 month wait, and release it internationally in November). Just a thought.

Ah, I came here just to talk about this. Hopefully he isn't going to troll us like with that Mewtwo...

They could announce Generation VI next month and still release the games in September. With the exception of Generation V, the previous generations had been foreshadowed for well over a year. I think that the main reason to make the announcement soon is to encourage as many people as possible to buy a 3DS this year.

If Generation VI were slated for a June release date, I don't see why Genesect would be featured in Movie 16 at all (not even in a minor role). Of course, for all we know the trailer was completely misleading like the one with Lugia and Ho-Oh.

An announcement sooner rather than later does makes sense, as Masuda has expressed some concern with the 3DS' install base.

As for why Genesect would appear in Movie 16 if Gen 6 will come out in June, there is that speculation about its unmodified self being one of the first new Pokemon revealed and costarring in the movie. That would kind of make Genesect's presence obligatory, and would allow the second distribution to be for unlocking the new Pokemon similar to how the Beasts and Celebi unlocked Zoroark and Zorua.

Edit: Oh yeah, this is the tweet mentioning Smash that P0kelegend was referring to in case anyone wants to see it - https://twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda/status/246416797874671617

Last edited:
As for why Genesect would appear in Movie 16 if Gen 6 will come out in June, there is that speculation about its unmodified self being one of the first new Pokemon revealed and costarring in the movie. That would kind of make Genesect's presence obligatory, and would allow the second distribution to be for unlocking the new Pokemon similar to how the Beasts and Celebi unlocked Zoroark and Zorua.
Genesect being related to a new Pokémon would explain their sharing a movie, but I don't think it would excuse promoting an old Pokémon right after the release of a new generation. If the games were released in June, then by the movie premiere we would already know about all the new Pokémon (with the possible exception of DLC secrets). Genesect would look really out of place; I dare say that even its ancient counterpart would be better off being promoted alone if Generation VI were already out by that point. Of course, it will make sense to follow Movie 13's distribution system in case Movie 16 is released before the new games.

Think of Movie 11. Wouldn't it have been odd had Giratina and Shaymin been replaced by the Regis?

Last edited:
Genesect being related to a new Pokémon would explain their sharing a movie, but I don't think it would excuse promoting an old Pokémon right after the release of a new generation. If the games were released in June, then by the movie premiere we would already know about all the new Pokémon (with the possible exception of DLC secrets). Genesect would look really out of place; I dare say that even its ancient counterpart would be better off being promoted alone if Generation VI were already out by that point. Of course, it will make sense to follow Movie 13's distribution system in case Movie 16 is released before the new games.

Think of Movie 11. Wouldn't it have been odd had Giratina and Shaymin been replaced by the Regis?

I really don't see what would be wrong with promoting Genesect on the side in addition to Generation VI so long as it's relevant to the new Pokemon and said Pokemon is the primary focus. In the case of the Regis, Regigigas was neither the main star nor new so of course there was no point to bringing in the old trio.

Given that the anime is near the League, and there's nothing else major to do in Gen 5, we can best say that Gen 5 is over at this point. Since there's no legendaries left in Gen 5, the Genesect movie is most likely going to simply push Genesect to the side while the main role is given to a Gen 6 Pokemon, most likely the Lucario/Zoroark of the generation, to which I have coined the term "Zorocario" to describe it, possibly a few other Gen 6 Pokemon may appear in Movie 16, but just mainly Genesect and the Gen 6 Zorocario.

Let's not forget the mysterious Virgil and his party of Eevee and evolutions that will appear in the anime and will participate in the Unova League. Looking on Virgil's Eevee, it's noticing that it has such a role than that of its Eeveelutions companions. The anime writers are possibly up to something on why they made this character and his party. So there are possibilities: one is that Virgil may face Ash in the Unova league and use Eevee as his last resort and, win or lose, something won't happen on Eevee; the other is the same scenario, except that Eevee will finally evolve into the newest Generation VI Eeveelution. Seeing that they will be using Eevee for promoting Generation VI (assuming it will really happen), it's possible that they might introduce a new type (which I won't elaborate further as the thread may become off-topic).

So the debut of Virgil and his party will be on November 15, 2012, which will be an episode about themselves. Then, what I can see is that, we will be witnessing the (possible) signs of Virgil's Eevee's evolution as the weeks pass and finally, in early 2013, we will be (possibly) witnessing Eevee's newest Eeveelution.

A lot of people are saying that Virgil's Eevee will lead to a significant reveal, likely a new Eeveelution or two at the end of the year for Gen 6, considering that his Eevee in particular is shown that it will have a more significant role than it's 7 evolved relatives, and since Virgil is competing in the league, his Eevee will evolve in the tournament to one of the new Gen 6 Eeveelutions, with Ash losing the league to the new Eevee evolution. I can certainly agree with all this since they seem to be really anticipating Virgil's appearance a lot.

For a speculated timeline of Gen 6 Pokemon reveals going by Nintendo's recent actions:
  • Two new Eevee evolutions
  • Ash loses the Unova league
  • The Gen 6 Zorocario is revealed and is to be in Movie 16
  • The Gen 6 game titles are revealed
  • The Gen 6 Starters are revealed, along with it's professor, and possibly region
  • The Gen 6 Legendary Mascots are revealed along with other Gen 6 Pokemon, possibly including a few new evolutions and pre-evolutions of older Pokemon
  • Movie 16 released
  • Gen 6 anime season announced
  • First Gen 6 distribution event is announced
  • Gen 6 games released
  • Gen 6 anime season starts
It will most likely go like that, since that is pretty much how the preparation for Gen 5 went, minus the Eevee part since no Eeveelutions were released in Gen 5.

Last edited:
Probably mostly side-games, new series and/or continuing previous ones. I don't expect anything big until 2014.

I really don't see what would be wrong with promoting Genesect on the side
It would mean that Genesect would take the place of another Generation VI Pokémon, which would be odd if the movie were promoted as part of a new anime series as opposed to Best Wishes. There should at least be two Generation VI Pokémon featured in the first movie of the new series.

There would be other problems, too. Would a month of the new series be enough time to introduce the new characters and starters so that they would be showcased in the new movie? Not only that, but the anime's schedule usually gets interrupted by a TV airing of last year's movie, as an attempt to generate hype for the next one. But in this case, Movie 15 has nothing to do with Generation VI; airing it would look out of place, but not airing any movie might detract from Movie 16's box office success.

In the case of the Regis, Regigigas was neither the main star nor new so of course there was no point to bringing in the old trio.
Regigigas made its anime debut in Movie 11, so I'd say it was new as far as the anime was concerned. What I'm asking is this: Would it have made sense to make Regigigas the main star and promote the Regis, at the expense of Giratina and Shaymin?

All I'm saying is that even though a June release worked in B2W2's case, I see little reason why that scheme would be repeated next year. If the Pokémon Company want to release Generation VI internationally in time for the 2013 holiday season, they can aim for a simultaneous release for a change or simply make do with a December stateside release. If they wanted to release Generation VI earlier than expected, they might as well do it before June.

Last edited:
I still think we are a lot further away from generation six than people are speculating. Based on past generations I'm not even expecting an announcement until 2014 with the 17th movie beginning to introduce gen 6 Pokemon.

Ruby and Sapphire remakes are definitely a possible announcement at the end of 2013 but also perhaps not because it goes against the whole philosophy of Black and White.

I really don't see what would be wrong with promoting Genesect on the side
It would mean that Genesect would take the place of another Generation VI Pokémon, which would be odd if the movie were promoted as part of a new anime series as opposed to Best Wishes. There should at least be two Generation VI Pokémon featured in the first movie of the new series.

There would be other problems, too. Would a month of the new series be enough time to introduce the new characters and starters so that they would be showcased in the new movie? Not only that, but the anime's schedule usually gets interrupted by a TV airing of last year's movie, as an attempt to generate hype for the next one. But in this case, Movie 15 has nothing to do with Generation VI; airing it would look out of place, but not airing any movie might detract from Movie 16's box office success.

In the case of the Regis, Regigigas was neither the main star nor new so of course there was no point to bringing in the old trio.
Regigigas made its anime debut in Movie 11, so I'd say it was new as far as the anime was concerned. What I'm asking is this: Would it have made sense to make Regigigas the main star and promote the Regis, at the expense of Giratina and Shaymin?

All I'm saying is that even though a June release worked in B2W2's case, I see little reason why that scheme would be repeated next year. If the Pokémon Company want to release Generation VI internationally in time for the 2013 holiday season, they can aim for a simultaneous release for a change or simply make do with a December stateside release. If they wanted to release Generation VI earlier than expected, they might as well do it before June.

I agree with you, though that's really their decision, I personally think that they should announce the Gen 6 games in early 2013, release them around June/July sometime after Movie 16 is released, and then release them overseas around September/October, much like they did with BW2.

Genesect can still be the star of Movie 16 if they attempt to co-market it with the star Gen 6 Pokemon (the "Zorocario" as I like to call it) correctly, and not market the Gen 6 Pokemon far more than they market Genesect or any other Pokemon that appear in the movie that are from Gens 1-5, much like they did with Movie 13, where they marketed Zorua and Zoroark far more than they marketed the Johto Legendaries, and Movie 8 before it, where they marketed Lucario far more than they marketed Mew (or the other Gen 4 Pokemon that made their debut in the movie, being Bonsly, Mime Jr, and Weavile, which were just shoehorned in for the sake of just being there), plus Movie 9 when it was all about Manaphy, and Kyogre was shoehorned in at the last minute (and like Movie 8, three Gen 4 Pokemon, Buizel, Chatot, and Mantyke, were just thrown in the movie for the sake of promoting Gen 4, and had virtually no role in the movie whatsoever).

This is constant habit with Nintendo whenever they debut Pokemon from newer generations months/years before their debut generations games are released, is that the new-gen Pokemon is given far more focus than the older-gen Pokemon that are also starring in the film (or any other new-gen Pokemon introduced that isn't the star of the film, the only exception as far as I can remember is some of the Gen 2 Pokemon in the early Pikachu shorts, Wailmer from Movie 5, and Munchlax from Movie 7), that it can sometimes get to the point where the other, older-gen Pokemon are treated as being non-existant while the new-gen Pokemon (and primarily the one in the title, like Lucario and Zoroark) gets all the spotlight. While the same can be said for all the event Pokemon that have existed in the series, those cannot really apply since they are of whatever current generation they are a part of and not of a newer generation.

Now, I do have some problems with the way the Pokemon franchise is marketed in general, but that's another topic. Regardless, if they did this with Movie 16 and promote a Gen 6 Pokemon over Genesect, this could be a major problem.

I still think we are a lot further away from generation six than people are speculating. Based on past generations I'm not even expecting an announcement until 2014 with the 17th movie beginning to introduce gen 6 Pokemon.

Ruby and Sapphire remakes are definitely a possible announcement at the end of 2013 but also perhaps not because it goes against the whole philosophy of Black and White.

Gen 2 came somewhat early back in the 90's, with Gen 1 having lasted about as long as Gen 5 currently has, so Gen 6 could still come out next year when you think about it. Personally, I don't really want R/S remakes, as I think the original ones are good enough the way they are, but with the "internal battery" problem that's been going on lately with people's carts (similar to G/S/C), they would have no choice really but to make R/S remakes, though I think they better wait until after the Gen 6 games are released before they make R/S remakes.

Oh dear, the fact that a new anime series would be started earlier too completely slipped my mind. Normally the movie that advertises new Pokemon is still part of the previous generation, but that only works because it comes out months ahead of the new games... If Gen 6 and the corresponding new anime series were to start at the same time as the movie, then frankly I'm not sure how that could all work out.

Regigigas was new to the anime, yes, but as a Pokemon it had already been known for about over two years by that point. And of course it wouldn't have made sense to make Regigigas the main star and promote the Regis when Giratina is the one being the year's game mascot and Shaymin is a "new" Pokemon. Perhaps such a thing could have worked out if Regigigas debuted in 2006's movie when RSE were still somewhat relevant, but who knows.

As for release dates... Perhaps BW2's June release date was just a fluke brought upon us by Nintendo's desire to get the DS done and over with, and make sure no new games for it come out past 2012. September would make more sense for a whole new generation that requires extensive promotion and planning.

I would frankly be astonished if we didn't get Gen VI next year. They would not have haphazardly tossed off the Genesect reveal in the middle of the franchise's quiet period unless they had something even newer to show in the spring. I also have my doubts that they'd show the main Pokemon for next year's movie this early; I remember the Regigigas and Lugia/Ho-Oh trailers too well for that.

I certainly don't think we're due RSE remakes next year; they wouldn't have placed various Hoenn legends in Unova in BW2 if that were the case. Notice how Platinum completely avoided putting in any GSC legendaries? Also, there's nowhere near the critical mass of evidence that Johto remakes had accumulated. Honestly, I don't think the time's right, in any case. The time for DS games has passed, and new consoles are best served by new generations to show off what they can do.

As for Masuda's October Smash appearance; I'm expecting nothing. Maybe a non-relevant legendary giveaway, at a push. The only argument that I can see otherwise is that early announcements can often spur console sales; look at the rise in Japanese 3DS sales after Mon Hun 3G/4 last year. I sincerely doubt it, though; I'm expecting a Gen V-style push in 2013.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom