• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • ME finally got off his butt and has started his own LP of Platinum version. Watch the chaos unfold here.

Poll - Who did you originally think was Gary's starter Pokémon?

Who did you originally think was Gary's starter?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I was wondering, before it was confirmed that Gary's starter was Squirtle, I was wondering, who did you think was Gary's starter?

I actually always thought it was Squirtle, since it was supposed to be Ash's first choice. I know that some fans thought it was Eevee due to it being Blue's starter in Pokémon Yellow, however, in Challenge of the Samurai, the flashbacks did not show Samurai battling an Eevee.

The one once known as Alphaphlare
Reaction score
The series came out when I was four so I don't think I saw all the episodes in order so I thought it was eevee because I heard my order brother talk about yellow and the orange island finale got me

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I always thought it was Squirtle...just to "mess"(nowadays screw) with his decision to obtain Squirtle that he mentioned in the episode, and, since they were rivals before this, I thought Gary would have known/the writers planned it all along.

mientes
Reaction score
I thought it was Eevee because of Pokemon Yellow :<
I was a little let-down when I found out it was Zenigame, only because.. well.. Electric types are strong against Water types.

Standing firm.
Reaction score
I kinda assumed it was Charmander, because I felt that Squirtle and Bulbasaur just didn't match Gary's hotshot attitude. Plus giving Gary the mascot of Pokemon Red established a sense of irony.

When I saw the opening to Season 3 of the dub, I went along with the Pokemon Yellow/Eevee connection. But then I realized that didn't make any sense due to the Challenge of the Samurai, where Samurai confirmed all the starter Pokemon were present in his matches with the Pallet trainers. Since I didn't understand or believe in retcon at the time, back to Charmander it went. I suppose I just wanted a Charizard ditto match at the Johto League Conference so badly. D:

Last edited:
someone in the dark
Reaction score
I voted "Other", because for the longest time I suspected that it would never be revealed.

Lovely
Reaction score
I thought it had always been Eevee cuz his counterpart got one in Yellow, while Ash's counterpart got Pikachu just like him.

It was only after years and years did I hear Gary had picked Squirtle. I don't know if it's true, though.

What up?
Reaction score
I thought it was Charmander... In fact, I expected Ash to fight Gary at the Indigo League with their final Pokémon being Pikachu and Charmeleon/Charizard respectevely.

Imagine my reaction when I saw the Ash vs. Ritchie fight. :sweatlol:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I always assumed it was Eevee as well. Just because my reasoning was, since he is Professor Oak's grandson, then why not he get a special starter?

Ice Master.
Reaction score
Just like a bunch of you I thought it was eevee due to pokemon yellow. And when he had that really strong eevee which he showed off before Johto I figured he had it for a long time.

There is only one king!
Reaction score
I thought it was Eevee due to Yellow like a lot of people, and then seeing him have an Eevee in the anime didn't help to lessen me thinking it was his starter.

Child of the Atom
Reaction score
I voted Bulbasaur. In the first episode, it was clear that the other three Pallet trainers each left with one of the three Kanto starters so I never thought Eevee was Gary's starter. The prominence of Arcanine in Gary's roster let me think it wasn't Charmander. I always thought it was either Squirtle or Bulbasaur, but tended to think the latter because Gary had a Krabby, but was never shown with a grass type. Though Squirtle was definitely out of the three Kanto starters the one that was least associated with Ash, so I guess that's why the writers gave it to Gary.

Comfort ghost
Reaction score
At first, I wasn't sure. The Samurai from the fourth episode had a flashback of the battles he had with the other beginning trainers from Kanto. Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle were seen defeating his Pokemon in freeze-frame shots. I assumed one of them was Gary's, but had no idea which.

When it was revealed Gary had an Eevee, I began to think that it was his starter instead, just as it was in Yellow. I don't think it was ever specified how many trainers left Kanto on the first day, so I never doubted it.

Mr. F's Bulbawife
Reaction score
I thought it was Squirtle. It's like Gary magically knew Ash wanted Squirtle... and you know, "the early bird gets the worm... or in this case, the Pokémon." Gary was always one step ahead of Ash, after all. :b

Plus, I don't know, Squirtle just seemed to fit Gary more than Bulbasaur or Charmander to me.

Reaction score
I also thought it was his Eevee as well. Pokemon Yellow was my first Pokemon game, and I somewhat assumed that it was also his starter in the anime once I first saw it.

Pokémon: Gen 8.0 You Can (Not) Catch 'em All
Reaction score
Yeah, Eevee, kyu.

But then I figured it might be Squirtle, since Ash had a Charizard. The idea was cemented in my head during my "I hate Ash" phase, and the idea of Ash getting his Charizard pummeled seemed keen to me, kyu.

Reaction score
Eevee, because iirc, there is a scene in the opening credits with Gary with an Eevee on his shoulder.