• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Poll - Who did you originally think was Gary's starter Pokémon?

Who did you originally think was Gary's starter?

• Total voters
I thought it was Eevee mostly because evidently, I didn't know how to pay attention, and Yellow might've had something to do with it. He says he got one of the starters in the first ep, why didn't I realize it. Once Blastoise was revealed, I realized I had been silly. Given that they planned for only one saga, they might've had the idea he had Squirtle all along, but when the anime proved popular and a new gen was coming, they held off on the big reveal. In fact, they might've given Gary an Eevee as an allusion to Yellow, I don't know. (of course it was probably also with the intention of him having one the new eons later, which they did)

i say squritle because of blastoie at the end of the jhoto saga so unless either gary also found the island of turtle pokemon and caught a squirtle there or the squirtle squad is missing another member because those were the only two places we saw wild squirtle even though the squad was comprised of abandoned ones.

"Other" because I honestly don't think I remembered or cared that Gary had chosen a starter and was more preoccupied with the fact that he had a band of cheerleaders worshipping the ground he walked on and seemed to have this weird fixation on "Ashy boy"

I wasn't the most eloquent thinker when I was a child...or now, I guess XD

Eevee.
Blame the Yellow game and the "special connections" his grandfather has.

Yeah, I also thought it was an Eevee due to Pokemon Yellow. It kind of made sense, especially when he could have gotten a special starter from his grandfather instead of the regular ones. I never actually considered the flashback from Challenge of the Samurai meant that he had one of the Kanto starters since we didn't see the trainers of those Pokemon. Besides that, the writers could have easily retcon that to make Gary's first Pokemon to be Eevee. Though, giving him Squirtle works too due to how Ash's only fully evolved starter at the time of their Johto League battle was Charizard and he had more interactions with Charizard and Bulbasuar throughout the series than with Squirtle.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom