• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pool - Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

• Total voters

Leaf_Ranger

For Nature & Creatures
Reaction score
With all the drama and controversy surrounding the games, I've yet to see a place where we can have a closer sense of how much this community will adhere (or not) to the games and buy at least one of them.
Feel free to vote and share the reasons behind your decision, also when it comes to choose one of the versions.

At this moment, I'll most likely buy the new battery updated Switch model and buy some games but not these games. SwSh feels to me like XY felt for the 3DS: experimental titles hastily released and that I won't regret not buying. I also don't want to be fooled with a third version coming later and if it doesn't happen, I also won't regret it or end up buying one of the games later at a cheaper price.

I think I'll buy a copy, but not at full price. I'm not a fan of the 60$ price tag for Switch games in the first place, and I'm not really down to pay 20$ more for the first games in the series to actively remove Pokemon. The additions to SwSh seem great, but I don't think they're worth paying the new cost. Most of what I'm looking forward to-new Pokemon, new characters, new region, updated graphics, new plot-is pretty typical for new Pokemon games. The more major changes are, as far as we know, Dynamax, the Wild Area, and the mix of overworld and random encounters. And I'm glad for all of them, but I don't think they really merit a 50% cost increase on their own, let alone when they come with cuts. (I know, Switch cartridges are more expensive and that factors into the cost, but the digital pre-order costs the same as the physical)

I'm undecided, as a major Pokemon fan I will of course enjoy any Pokemon game, but I'm also a supporter of the "vote with your money" theory. I don't want to pay full price for a game I feel is incomplete, and what worries me is that they said the lack of a national dex will be a TREND in future games, not just a temporary thing for Sword and Shield, I could COMPLETELY understand if Gamefreak said "look, we got 153 models from Let's Go, we can update and rework some more models for Sword and Shield, but we won't have all of them done for a couple more releases."

I would've taken that as an acceptable answer, not "because of the sheer amount of Pokemon, there will likely never be another game with all of them in it".

That is what I call a NOT acceptable answer. I think they're also lying to us, making it sound like the models are all brand new done from scratch, when plenty of people online have proven this isn't the case, they're just better resolution than models from SM/GO/Let's Go.

I will say this, I've bought both releases of paired versions since BW, I own or have owned every game from Yellow onwards, but I think at best I'm only buying one title. Gamefreak REALLY screwed the community over with SM in my opinion, they gave us two fairly good games with Sun and Moon, and most of us sat here saying "okay, they'll either give us a third version (like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum), give us sick sequels (like BW2), or not release an updated version (like the Z we didn't get in XY). I don't think ANYBODY expected what was effectively TWO third versions. I think that was the dirtiest move by Gamefreak in the history of the Pokemon franchise. I used to view myself as a completionist that would buy every game and it makes me sick to look at my four Alola games now.

I no longer hold that dedication or loyalty towards Gamefreak because they have consistently NOT given fans what they want.

We didn't get the Battle Frontier in ORAS which would've made an otherwise perfect game one of the best releases to-date.

We didn't get Z to finish off Zygarde's lore and play alongside the XY&Z anime, and instead Zygarde was for some reason shoehorned into USUM, that'd be like if we saw Rayquaza in Platinum and some character like Steven was like "oh by the way, this dude stops Groudon and Kyogre's battles back in my region".

We didn't get the third version to wrap up Alola like we all wanted "Stars", which would've even made sense from a lore standpoint, since stars collapse into black holes and black holes absorb everything in their path, just like Necrozma does. Instead we got TWO half-versions of what Stars should've been.

And then with Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, we got games that have all other generations absent, no abilities, half the moves missing, no held items, no breeding, so many staples of the franchise were missing and they made Let's Go, despite how enjoyable those games were, very incomplete shells compared to other Pokemon games.

SwSh is NOT helping Gamefreak's case at all, outright lying about models and animations when it's been proven that many of them are the same, even Hau's weird hand motion animation got reused, and of course the National Dex issue of us not being able to use or access some of our favorite Pokemon. I think the franchise started going down hill as early as XY, but it REALLY showed when we got SM instead of the much-anticipated Z. XY had so much potential and the Kalos region was beautiful and there was a lot to do... until the post-game. A "Z Episode" much in the style of the Delta Episode to give us Zygarde and it's Complete form would've been absolutely perfect. ORAS not having a fan-favorite facility like the Battle Frontier and then them having the audacity to even stick a model of the Frontier in the game was literally a middle finger to the older fanbase.

It didn't all happen at once for me, my uncertainty to support the franchise is something that has slowly been building since ORAS, and release after release they find a way to disappoint me, they're acting more like EA, it seems like rather than caring about maintaining the older fanbase, they'd rather go for money as much as possible and are perfectly fine with releasing half-baked games, and either releasing TWO complete games in place of a third version (USUM), or not even giving us the complete version we deserve (Z). Sorry I went off on a rant there but everything above sums up my thoughts and feelings on why I voted "undecided" on buying SwSh. There's plenty of older Gen activity in the retro gaming community, I will gladly replay older gens.

We've already paid up lol. Transferring means absolutely nothing to me, and my partner being able to get a Switch Mini sealed the deal.

XY had so much potential and the Kalos region was beautiful and there was a lot to do... until the post-game. A "Z Episode" much in the style of the Delta Episode to give us Zygarde and it's Complete form would've been absolutely perfect.

A one-hour, one-time-only activity that's 50% backtracking and 50% mashing A through loredumps would have been an "absolutely perfect" post-game?

I won’t buy it. Even if they announce some cool features that make up for the game’s shortcomings, I’ve already decided to wait for the inevitable third version, assuming it will be better than SWSH.

If we have a repeat of Gen VI or in the unlikely event that we get sequels instead, I have the option to buy a used copy if I want to go back and play SWSH.

Last edited:
We've already paid up lol. Transferring means absolutely nothing to me, and my partner being able to get a Switch Mini sealed the deal.

A one-hour, one-time-only activity that's 50% backtracking and 50% mashing A through loredumps would have been an "absolutely perfect" post-game?

Among other things, definitely. Are you implying the Delta Episode wasn't an absolute amazing post-game mission? If you don't enjoy the lore and history of the franchise, then that's fine, but the fact is a majority of us do and don't fit the description of "A mashers". Some of us enjoy Pokemon games for the world of Pokemon, lore included. Z could've also given us a more diverse Battle facility rather than the Maison, the train could've gone to another area, there's a lot of possibilities and options for if they ever made a Z version, but they didn't so the topic is pointless. I already stated my opinions on the position and trend of the franchise and I don't think either are good.

Among other things, definitely.

Sure, but the only reason I quoted the bit that I did was because until now, you didn't mention any other things. Just the Zepisode with the assessment that it would have been "absolutely perfect."

Are you implying the Delta Episode wasn't an absolute amazing post-game mission?

The Delta Episode was fine, cute even, though personally I do think "absolutely amazing" would be putting it quite strongly. It was solid... for an hour's worth of backtracking to get from loredump to loredump.

If you don't enjoy the lore and history of the franchise, then that's fine, but the fact is a majority of us do

[citation needed]

I'm one of the biggest lore nerds on this site, but that's always struck me as an incredibly minority position within the overall fanbase.

I voted for undecided.

While I am already very unhappy with the presentation of the games as we know them, I'm going to wait until they release and reviews come out before making a final decision. I did that with USUM and it helped me solidify my choice of not buying either version (for I was extremely dissatisfied with SM and wasn't about to spend another 50 dollars just to re-experience the same slog). So I'll be doing that again with SwSh.

If I do decide to get either one, I'll be going with a used copy. Although even that I'm hesitant about. Switch cartridges are known to be incredibly flimsy and I'd hate to buy a used copy only to find out its broken.

Sure, but the only reason I quoted the bit that I did was because until now, you didn't mention any other things. Just the Zepisode with the assessment that it would have been "absolutely perfect."

The Delta Episode was fine, cute even, though personally I do think "absolutely amazing" would be putting it quite strongly. It was solid... for an hour's worth of backtracking to get from loredump to loredump.

[citation needed]

I'm one of the biggest lore nerds on this site, but that's always struck me as an incredibly minority position within the overall fanbase.

Then I guess you must be new here? If you had hung out on here at all during Gen 6, particularly the weeks following ORAS's release, you surely would've seen massive praise and an overall admiration for the Delta Episode, we had lots of nice discussions about the things Zinnia said, the implications of what you learn during the Delta Episode, etc.

Not to mention you get Rayquaza and Deoxys at the end. There was a lot to love about ORAS and those are still probably the best Pokemon games to come out this decade, ORAS gets a 9/10 from me, a 10/10 would've been having the Battle Frontier, and I don't hand out 10/10's lightly. It's just a great example of how the franchise started going downhill, but I already went on that rant and I don't need to repeat myself.

Still waiting on more information before I can make a more informed decision on whether I am buying it al full price on release, major ones being:
  • Full Starters Evolution Line Reveal
  • More Pokémon from Galar
  • More information on Non-Galar Pokémons that make it into SwSh
  • All the gyms
  • More information on the mechanics of Dyna/Giga-Max
  • Pre-order bonuses my local store might do

Preordered the double pack and ordered a copy each for my kids two girls will get sword and the other two will get shield. Thankfully Santa will be paying oof

Still waiting on more information before I can make a more informed decision on whether I am buying it al full price on release, major ones being:
  • Full Starters Evolution Line Reveal
  • More Pokémon from Galar
  • More information on Non-Galar Pokémons that make it into SwSh
  • All the gyms
  • More information on the mechanics of Dyna/Giga-Max
  • Pre-order bonuses my local store might do

I respect this but it won’t go on sale the Nintendo tax real.

It would take an absolute miracle for me to buy a Switch for these games, and money isn't the real issue. Down the road, provided that the Switch's library is more to my liking, maybe I'll get a used copy.

Then I guess you must be new here?

"Joined: Oct 18, 2012"

If you had hung out on here at all during Gen 6, particularly the weeks following ORAS's release, you surely would've seen massive praise and an overall admiration for the Delta Episode, we had lots of nice discussions about the things Zinnia said, the implications of what you learn during the Delta Episode, etc.

That's the key phrase. This board is a tiny, tiny, tiny portion of the overall Pokémon consumerbase and consists of fans who are more die-hard than your average buyer. We're not a good sample size.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom