• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pool - Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

• Total voters
I'm going to get a used version. DEXIT is a giant lead weight, but the potential of the story and the fact we have at least one jerk rival again is tops.

(MON reveals avoided by me)

How long you think it'll take for a used to be up on Amazon or in a Game Stop BTW?

How long you think it'll take for a used to be up on Amazon or in a Game Stop BTW?

I've heard some people say only a week, which is hard to believe in my opinion, but unfortunately I can't find any definitive statements on how long it takes for used copies to come in. Maybe you could call your local game store(s) and ask.

Edit: Here's a post on the Gamestop subreddit with some interesting answers:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/comments/6bloy6/how_long_does_it_usually_take_for_u_to_get_pre/

I'm considering buying used too, both out of principle (Dexit didn't faze me, but the small 'dex did) and lack of money (I'm a poor college student--I had to pay $53 just for access to homework--but I want to buy this game on my own) so hopefully copies will roll out within a week or two.

Last edited:
I'll probably get a used version of Sword. Dexit was rough, but a 60% cut on top of the only thing to show for it being the Wild Area and possibly the story has killed any of my desire to support SwSh officially.

So honest question here to those saying they will get the games used....what good is that going to do anyways? Pokémon is a Nintendo property, and as such, like any Nintendo published game, these games never drop in price, not significant anyways. In fact, used copies nearly always increase in value and price, sometimes even higher than the original price. I have seen this with classics like HeartGold and SoulSilver

So, again, what good is it to get used? You're just going to shelve out extra...and that is only if you decide to get the games used.

So honest question here to those saying they will get the games used....what good is that going to do anyways? Pokémon is a Nintendo property, and as such, like any Nintendo published game, these games never drop in price, not significant anyways. In fact, used copies nearly always increase in value and price, sometimes even higher than the original price. I have seen this with classics like HeartGold and SoulSilver

So, again, what good is it to get used? You're just going to shelve out extra...and that is only if you decide to get the games used.
They think that if they get it used neither Game Freak nor Nintendo will make money off of it.

The only games that cost more than their original price are the gen 4 and gen 5 games because of low supply and high demand. On the other hand, the gen 6 and 7 games are often cheaper than their market price because of the opposite. For example, a new copy of Sun costs $33.83 on Amazon while a used copy costs $24.06. Looking at the website Price Charting, the loose price, i.e. "the item does not include the original box and/or manual" (which is an indicator of the game being used, but not always), of Omega Ruby has fallen, and in most cases is cheaper than new copies of the game. And both Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu have decreased in price over the year, never getting back up to $59.99.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Having seen the replies regarding the Gen 4 and Gen 5 games, yeah, I can understand that. That said, I think Sword and Shield will be in that same bracket of being on low supply and high demand just as much. If so, then getting them used is going to be tough as nails.

TechSkylander1518 (sorry, accidentally deleted my comment after this message, so I'm posting the quoted message here)
Just to be clear though, what I meant with my comment, is that Sword and Shield will be hard to find used after sales have died down somewhat, which will not be for a long time. Of course, it may also depend on popularity and how much these games will be sought aftewards in used state. With that, what I'm trying to convey is that when these titles become used (if they ever become it), their price may likely skyrocket.

Last edited:
Having seen the replies regarding the Gen 4 and Gen 5 games, yeah, I can understand that. That said, I think Sword and Shield will be in that same bracket of being on low supply and high demand just as much. If so, then getting them used is going to be tough as nails.
It can be safely said that SwSh will have enough supply to meet the demand, just like all Pokemon titles (that I know of).
To my knowledge there hasn’t even been a recent Pokemon game that had shortages. Even the Gen 4 titles are low supply because they aren’t no longer sold new.

Just to be clear though, what I meant with my comment, is that Sword and Shield will be hard to find used after sales have died down somewhat, which will not be for a long time. Of course, it may also depend on popularity and how much these games will be sought aftewards in used state. With that, what I'm trying to convey is that when these titles become used (if they ever become it), their price may likely skyrocket.
But we have LGPE, with an insane sales rate, that's still pretty easy to find used and at a cheap price. How could SwSh's situation be much different?

But we have LGPE, with an insane sales rate, that's still pretty easy to find used and at a cheap price. How could SwSh's situation be much different?

If I could make a rough guess, I'd say its because LGPE aren't as popular (maybe), and therefore their price isn't as high as by other Nintendo published games when they become used, and their supply is high and available everywhere. But that is just me speaking. There can be many other factors at play I'm not aware of.

If I could make a rough guess, I'd say its because LGPE aren't as popular (maybe), and therefore their price isn't as high as by other Nintendo published games when they become used, and their supply is high and available everywhere. But that is just me speaking. There can be many other factors at play I'm not aware of.
Again-LGPE literally hold the record for highest sales in their first week. They're the fifth best-selling game on the Switch, and the four games that beat it out also have noticeable price drops for used copies. A used copy of Smash Ultimate can be easily found in the 30-40 price range on ebay, and Odyssey can get down to the 20-30 range.

Again-LGPE literally hold the record for highest sales in their first week. They're the fifth best-selling game on the Switch, and the four games that beat it out also have noticeable price drops for used copies. A used copy of Smash Ultimate can be easily found in the 30-40 price range on ebay, and Odyssey can get down to the 20-30 range.

I see. Well for the mentioned games, I haven't seen them on a Used price range like that. Everywhere I go, especially the toy store where I do volunteers work, still sells the games for the full price. Guess it really just depends on the store selling them then.

Honestly, I didn’t care less about the controversy of Dexit, but I didn’t know whether I was getting the games for a while. There was enough in it to win me over, so I got a dual pack.

I was sure of getting Shield because of Allister and G-Ponyta, but because of spoiler-y reasons, I preordered Sword instead.

If I enjoyed it, will get Shield eventually, though.

Coming to the topic of getting either Sword or Shield, my decision has been made to get the Sword version as my friends are getting Shield instead. I'm going for Sword, because it has the better line of exclusives known so far, and Zacian's overall design speaks out to me more, especially when you realize its typing combo takes off from a moon/lunar theme, which I really like.

So yeah, Sword for me. Already preordered it, and getting it next week Friday.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom