• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pool - Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

• Total voters
If something is largely interesting because of its implications to the multiverse, you can't really expect it to work again more than once (Rainbow Rocket, which most fans liked just for the fan service). They should move away from that because it's going nowhere.

If something is largely interesting because of its implications to the multiverse, you can't really expect it to work again more than once (Rainbow Rocket, which most fans liked just for the fan service). They should move away from that because it's going nowhere.

You're all getting off-topic though. I didn't mention anything of the sort regarding SwSh, what I said was the downhill trend of the franchise includes how we didn't get a third Kalos game, and Complete Zygarde was instead shoe-horned into SM, when we definitely deserved a Z Version and a "Z Episode" or "Zygarde Episode".

As things currently stand, it's highly unlikely. I'm getting my own Switch for Zelda BOTW 2 & maybe Metroid for sure. Also to play "past" games like the original BOTW, Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon, and Odyssey.

If I need a JRPG monster fix, then I'll be returning to the Digimon franchise for their "Survive" game which seems to play like Mass Effect & Bioware's entries do with player choices. Just thinking about that makes me kinda excited... The anime was a wonderful part of my childhood, and the story appears to be really good. Hope this is the best offering since Digimon World on the PS1, because if it is? Then Pokemon Gen 8 as a whole will be forever a no buy & non-issue.

Even if they brought back every single Pokemon, unless (Master) Sword & (Master) Shield changes things up and has a presentation/game-play experience superior to the last two Gens, then I'll pass them up. I do not like Game Freak's policy of crafting the main series to be tablet/smartphone quality games for a $60 buy in, nor will I support it.

Since I buy pretty much all of my games second-hand, I won't be getting it now (which is what this poll seems to be asking, I think).
It's likely I'll buy it in the future, although this seems like one of the games I'll play once and then sell/give away rather than keep to replay it over and over.

A few reasons I'm not excited for it include the lack of innovation - Sugimori said a while ago that redundant moves and abilities should be streamlined, which I'd prefer more than a battle gimmick - and the feeling that Game Freak is being stretched too thin for this game to be a genuinely great, polished experience. Looking at the 3DS gens, there aren't as many fun sidequests (Battle Frontier, Sinnoh Underground) in the game any more, which makes the game more repetitive than I'd want it to be. This generation will probably continue down that path.

Undecided as of currently.

I'm learning towards maybe getting it, but it heavily depends on what further trailers have to show. This is not even considering the National Dex drama, because TPC has really yet to show the finer grains of sand as far as gameplay goes which is what I mostly care about. Sure, showcasing the characters and Gym Leaders are fine, but I feel like at the end of the day I'm going to beat them and never look in their general direction again unless they're plot-relevant, so showing me everything I can do in the region is far more important to me than just the characters.

In that, TPC/Game Freak hasn't shown me much, so I remain on the fence.

Any, as long as Lycanroc's evolution, Shaymin & all my faves are in the SwSh national dex

Hmmm you can always buy it in a neigbour country to have it a little more cheap if you have friends or someone there.
Interesting how prices varie with country and time of selling?

I'm still getting sword, but I haven pre ordered it yet. I'm planning on buying a switch lite, then pre order the game digitally.

Hmmm you can always buy it in a neigbour country to have it a little more cheap if you have friends or someone there.
Interesting how prices varie with country and time of selling?
The games are often more expensive in countries not named US or Japan, and if you live in a not-well known or a country Nintendo has no interest in, be prepared for an onslaught of shipping fees.

Currently undecided since Sword and Shield don’t look worth buying a switch for to me.

I'll buy it to give it a chance, still need a Switch first
already have Lets Go Eevee no way of playing it
getting Shield first

Any, as long as Lycanroc's evolution, Shaymin & all my faves are in the SwSh national dex

I highly doubt Shaymin, a Sinnoh Pokemon and a Sinnoh Mythical at that, will be in the Galar Regional Dex, HOWEVER...

I do have a theory on what will and won't be in the Galar Dex.

So this isn't completely out of nowhere because they did this in Gen 6, but remember have XY had, like half the National Dex in it? Well, it was missing primarily Hoenn Pokemon from the other half of the National Dex. ORAS didn't JUST serve to give us sick remakes, but they also gave us the other half of the National Dex we were missing. I have a burning feeling that Sinnoh remakes are going to be the 2020 games, and that for the Galar Dex, they will intentionally leave many Sinnoh Pokemon out, or just other Pokemon that were available in Sinnoh games period (obviously that doesn't mean ALL of them), and if this theory of mine turns out to be true, that'll seal the deal on Sinnoh remakes in Gen 8.

I'm going to have to buy both versions when they come out, simply because my little sister wants to play, too.... oh wait, then again, the Switch has profile switching, so who knows? The version differences are always minimal at best, so maybe I'll just get Sword for dem Saitou feet.

I mean, I'd buy Shield for my little Japanese siblings over in Joyo-shi and send it over as a gift, but no games except for the Wii are allowed in that household (at least as a permanent fixture, they need to focus on their studies).

Last edited:
The games are often more expensive in countries not named US or Japan, and if you live in a not-well known or a country Nintendo has no interest in, be prepared for an onslaught of shipping fees.

Currently undecided since Sword and Shield don’t look worth buying a switch for to me.
Their failure. If the games would be good priced everywhere and fans treated equal then they would earn more.

Yes.

While I am personally very affected by their choice to remove the national dex, considering I have a living dex with every form and alot of shinies and ev trained mons. And even worse I decided to do all that because I was no good at the competitive scene so I chose to collect them all.

But I still look forward to the new games, new pokemon and new adventure.

I haven't played a game since DP and don't have any working console or the Switch.

I wanted it to be groundbreaking so I'd get both the Switch and SwSh, but it looks like that isn't happening, so I'll be skipping it.

I'm on the fence. I think I'm going to take the wait and see approach.

Dynamax/Gigantimax just seem like rehashes of Z-moves / Mega Evolution - and that bothers me. I'd rather have the latter two again. I was never a superfan of the Z-move mechanic, but the animations for z-moves were awesome. Mimikyu's is my favorite, and the fact they are stripping the little bugger of one of the best things that relates to its existence is pathetic. I still love Mimikyu none-the-less and I will have it on my team again if I get SwSh.

I'm going to need to see some more new Pokemon and maybe more of the region before I consider buying one of the games. If I enjoy the first game, I'll buy the second. But I'm definitely not purchasing both at launch.

I voted undecided but leaning into "No". I have hated the direction the games have been taking since XY, I didn't care for ORAS or USUM, despised SuMo and didn't buy LGPE. I don't see the point of spending a lot of money (for you US people is around $60 but for some us in third world countries the games are much more expensive after dollars exchange rates; for example in my country LGPE are about $80 USD accounting for that) for games that actively remove pokemon species in favor of "quality" (which mind you I still have to see compelling evidence for)

I might skip these games entirely and maybe buy the inevitable third version/sequel/whatever rehash they come up with. But seeing where the franchise is going I might stop buying pokemon games altogether

Last edited:
Pre-ordered Shield (used games I planned to trade in anyway to pay off the bulk of it). Wanna see where they're going with this.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom