• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pool - Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

• Total voters
My answer remains no. The games just lack any nostalgic appeal to make up for their lack of innovation, if that makes sense. SM at least did regional variants first and the trials made a bigger impact than gyms with Dynamax. Plus, Hawaii is the kind of place I can appreciate exploring via a game, while I've already been to the UK. It seems like a waste to use it for anything but detective, cyberpunk or medieval games, to be honest.

I will decide if I will buy any version of the game after I play any potential demo.

But in whole, I'm ready to write off the entire Pokemon franchise. I'm that disgusted with the numerous contradictions GF makes with themselves.
As much as I hate to admit it I'm kind of in the same boat. Everyone should go watch DistantKingdom's videos or TyranitarTube's rant on YouTube to see why people are angry over Game Freak's decisions. Game Freak's obviously worried about the threat Gacha Games on smartphones / tablets poses to the Nintendo Switch's handheld market which could explain why they didn't go all in with Sword & Shield.

There's still a good chance that Sword & Shield might succeed especially on the competitive level in regards to VGC events which is what I'm still hoping for however the recent divide in the Pokémon Community has me skeptical of it's success. If Game Freak knew that Sword & Shield would be their main priority they would've already delayed it by now yet they chose not to because meeting deadlines are apparently more important.

I still find it rather insulting that Game Freak put more effort into Little Town Hero than Pokémon Sword & Shield. What I don't get is why they'd gone through the trouble of allocating ALL their resources into a new JRPG that nobody was hyped for when they should've rose to meet everyone's expectations of a main series Pokémon game on a home console decades in the making.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm feeling very conflicted at the moment.

I do intend to pick these games up, I'm just not sure if I'll get it day one. Luigi's Mansion 3 is coming out around the same time and honestly it looks more impressive to me overall. I love how it gives me serious Luigi's Mansion 1 vibes.

I'm aware that Sword and Shield will sell like hotcakes regardless of what anyone does but a part does feel like I want to hold off buying it for a week or so. I don't intend to boycott the game or anything like that but a part of me does kinda feel like if dexit and the gen 1 pandering bothers me as much as it has, I really ought to stick to my guns and at least not contribute to week one sales.

Though it doesn't help that Game Freak are being so tight lipped about the game. (and Pokemon Home for that matter)

At the end of the day I just don't want to be a hypocrite.

As much as I hate to admit it I'm kind of in the same boat. Everyone should go watch DistantKingdom's videos or TyranitarTube's rant on YouTube to see why people are angry over Game Freak's decisions. Game Freak's obviously worried about the threat Gacha Games on smartphones / tablets poses to the Nintendo Switch's handheld market which could explain why they didn't go all in with Sword & Shield.

There's still a good chance that Sword & Shield might succeed especially on the competitive level in regards to VGC events which is what I'm still hoping for however the recent divide in the Pokémon Community has me skeptical of it's success. If Game Freak knew that Sword & Shield would be their main priority they would've already delayed it by now yet they chose not to because meeting deadlines are apparently more important.

I still find it rather insulting that Game Freak put more effort into Little Town Hero than Pokémon Sword & Shield. What I don't get is why they'd gone through the trouble of allocating ALL their resources into a new JRPG that nobody was hyped for when they should've rose to meet everyone's expectations of a main series Pokémon game on a home console decades in the making.
Sorry but this post seems to be filled with a lot of the misconceptions that have been floating around based on people’s frustrations Dexit.

Poketubers have been going nuts, that’s nothing new. I’m sure this controversy is generating plenty of views for them. I don’t need to watch someone yell at me about why I should hate a game that I don’t hate for 10-20 minutes.

Mobile gaming (especially not only specifically Gacha Games) does not pose a threat to SwSh, GameFreak, or handheld gaming as a whole and even if it did, they obviously wouldn’t handle such a threat by purposely half-a**ing their game development. That’s just counterintuitive and makes 0 sense.

Not sure how the Dexit divide will affect VGC at all.

Delaying SwSh affects much more than just those two games. It would push back merch sales, TCG releases, anime and manga premiers...etc. It’s also not entirely up to GameFreak; the decision also rests with Nintendo. Delaying the games could have done more harm than good to the franchise as a whole.

And then we have sigh this argument again. Town’s development had hardly if any impact on Sword and Shield. By no stretch did they dedicate “ALL their resources” to it. The vast majority of them have been and still are working on SwSh. There really isn’t any evidence to suggest otherwise that I’ve seen.
They aren’t dummies; they know which game is almost guaranteed to sell and which one is a break from all the Pokémon they’ve been doing in an effort to try something new.

swiftgallade46 said:
Delaying SwSh affects much more than just those two games. It would push back merch sales, TCG releases, anime and manga premiers...etc. It’s also not entirely up to GameFreak; the decision also rests with Nintendo.
I agree with most of your points, but not this one. The TCG and merchandise are thriving on the current 809 Pokemon, while the upcoming anime series is obviously not just about SwSh and could premiere at any time. Finally, the Adventures manga still has a lot to catch up on.

I agree with most of your points, but not this one. The TCG and merchandise are thriving on the current 809 Pokemon, while the upcoming anime series is obviously not just about SwSh and could premiere at any time. Finally, the Adventures manga still has a lot to catch up on.
That’s fair, honestly. They definitely have plenty of material to work with. The overall point that pushing back SwSh would affect other areas of the franchise is still applicable, though.

I do not even own a switch yet, but I do hope to ask for one in the coming months. As of right now, my decision to get Sword or Shield is not yet decided, the games look good but I would rather spend time and money on LGP instead, as it's closer to 3DS games that I currently have.

well i guess we ordered both because my dude wants to try out the co-op wild area with me. hopefully that isn't post game only for online play (I wouldn't think since it is most of the map and we have early game access???)

I’m getting Shield. I’m not against the whole National Dex being not present, and I knew something like this would happen eventually. Besides, the game has 200+ Pokémon, so everyone is bound to have some Pokémon they like. The only thing I hate is Dynamax/Gigantamax, because it doesn’t make sense, it’s lazy, and is Gen 1 pandering again.

The Wild area is what I’m really looking forward to. I’ve always dreamed of an open word Pokémon game, and this is the first steps to it. My only concern is that the only thing to do is catch Pokémon and participate in Max raid Battles , with no extra areas or side quests to solve or items to find. That’ll make the Lv 50 Encounters early game seem like it’s there to discourage exploration.

Game Freak's obviously worried about the threat Gacha Games on smartphones / tablets poses to the Nintendo Switch's handheld market which could explain why they didn't go all in with Sword & Shield.

Why would a fear of smartphone games make GameFreak not put in 100% effort into SwSh? Wouldn't it be the opposite? And besides, it's not like console games are directly competing with smartphone games and there are already successful Pokémon smartphone games out there, some of whom's revenue probably makes it to GameFreak.

Hasn't it been proven that only a very small number of people are working on Little Town Hero (under 100 I believe), while over 1,000 have worked on SwSh? GameFreak is most certainly not putting more effort into Hero than Pokémon Sword & Shield nor are they "allocating ALL their resources into a new JRPG that nobody was hyped for."

Last edited:
I’m getting Shield. I’m not against the whole National Dex being not present, and I knew something like this would happen eventually. Besides, the game has 200+ Pokémon, so everyone is bound to have some Pokémon they like. The only thing I hate is Dynamax/Gigantamax, because it doesn’t make sense, it’s lazy, and is Gen 1 pandering again.

The Wild area is what I’m really looking forward to. I’ve always dreamed of an open word Pokémon game, and this is the first steps to it. My only concern is that the only thing to do is catch Pokémon and participate in Max raid Battles , with no extra areas or side quests to solve or items to find. That’ll make the Lv 50 Encounters early game seem like it’s there to discourage exploration.
I would think you could probably do the camping thing together. i don't know hopfully there are a few things to do. they have been secretive so far with this game and according to people who recently played the game for a couple of hours, they have ran into about 10 new pokemon that we havent seen yet.

They haven't put all of them, but according to Masayuki Onoue, Pkmn isn't their priority (Team 2) but instead the Gear project (Team 1) which better serves GF's interest in growing beyond Pkmn and in other platforms (PS, Xbox), but you'll always have those that prefere to ignore it say that it's the media misunderstanding his words or just trying to create a fuss. In the end, despite GF umbilical connection to Pkmn, I think a new studio should be in charge and perhaps we could see a major leap and improvements that aren't behind the times in comparison with the rest of the industry...perhaps stop playing with a 10 year-old child. :sneaky:

"Game Freak is best known for Pokémon of course, but is your hope that it can one day be known for more than that with the Gear Project?

Exactly. There are two different production teams here, simply named Production Team 1 and Production Team 2. Team 1 is fully dedicated to Gear Project, while Team 2 is for the Pokémon operation. What that means is that Game Freak is a company is prioritising Gear Project, which is production team number one, more than Pokémon in general.

We are always trying to create something that is equally exciting, or more exciting than Pokémon."

• Toby Fox, who actually worked on the game: "It was a very small team"
  • Doesn't even have an official site
  • Costs 25$ compared to SwSh's 60$
  • Didn't appear at E3
  • Has only two trailers up on Nintendo's YouTube channel, with not even two minutes of footage between them
Yes, that's definitely how one prioritizes something. You give it a team where even an indie dev who made a game by himself considers it small, you advertise it less, and you price it at a lower cost. That makes sense.

"We want to branch out." Says Game Freak.

They then proceed to have absolutely faith in their own product by not advertising or selling it at a high price.

If the content's not worth full price I think it should not be sold at full price... Whats wrong with a smaller lower priced game? That doesn’t mean they’ve got no faith in the product. It’s a game created by a smaller team. It’s not some ambitious or system seller level project like Pokemon, or one of the most popular franchises. Just an indie game in the end. That doesn’t really mean that there’s no faith for Town.

If the content's not worth full price I think it should not be sold at full price... Whats wrong with a smaller lower priced game? That doesn’t mean they’ve got no faith in the product. It’s a game created by a smaller team. It’s not some ambitious or system seller level project like Pokemon, or one of the most popular franchises. Just an indie game in the end. That doesn’t really mean that there’s no faith for Town.
I could be wrong but I think the point isn’t that they have no faith in Town but rather that it’s obvious they aren’t prioritizing its development and promotion over SwSh as people are claiming.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom